View Thread

Print Thread
Big Blue
Big Blue
G'day from the land downunder!

I'm from the same cyber space haven as Bob of QF, Eva Lution and Heretical Jezebelle.

Glad to meet everyone else here, and of course to catch up with my fellow travellers from the haven.

I look forward to see how this site develops.

neilmarr
G'Dasy, Blue. Good to have your company. Nice to see the other colonials joining in. Where abouts in Oz are you, mate? Cheers. Neil

seeker
Welcome Big Blue. I think we've got an interesting mix of folks here. The site seems to be developing some character pretty quickly.

RayvenAlandria
Hi. It's great to to have you here.

Skeeve
Welcome Big Blue, good to have you onboard.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Kallistie
Hi Blue!

catman
Big Blue: Welcome to the site. When I saw the title of the thread, I was expecting something about IBM.Smile
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Big Blue
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I am from Melbourne, I have now put this in my profile, I hope it shows up - still getting the hang of how this site works.

Seeker, yes I think it shows great promise.

catman, Yes, I thought of that when I chose the name, but the name is a play on my username in other forums and I also like the ambiguousness that you observed. My only excuse is that the devil made me do it. Wink
Edited by Big Blue on 08/06/2008 17:11

schmoo
tongue tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

Cool

Bob of QF
Hi, BB.

Is your name an oblique reference to your nose, perhaps?
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

neilmarr
'Blue', Bob, is a familiar term of address in Melbourne; like 'Cobber', 'Digger', and 'Ya Mean Ol' Bastard', I think. Hoots. Neil

Big Blue
Grin

Bastard is a very flexible word in Aussie English and you need to be careful in its use until you are fully aware of all the ramifications.

To call someone a cunning old bastard is almost a term of respect

A right bastard or a proper bastard OTOH, is not someone you would want to associate with

A lot depends on inflection and whilst to other ears Aussie English may sound flat, to the educated ear there is a world of difference between calling your best mate "you bastard" when he wins the chook raffle, to calling a bloke "you bastard" when he cuts you off in traffic with his bloody great one ton ute.

Then there are smart bastards, who should not be confused with smart arses, the latter being undesirables, the former are just sharp businessmen.

To just call someone a bastard is likely to start a fight and you better have your mates with you because that bastard will certainly have his.

All in all, its probably best to just keep quite, drink your beer and enjoy the word play around you. Also don't forget to shout when its your turn (and this has nothing to do with using your vocal chords, except to speak to the bar maid).
Edited by Big Blue on 08/07/2008 02:51

neilmarr
***Bastard is a very flexible word in Aussie English and you need to be careful in its use until you are fully aware of all the ramifications***

The same confusing subtlety is true up at the proper half of the globe, too, Blue. All my friends are bastards, for instance. And so are all my enemies. Handy word, eh? A bit like fuck. Ever clued up on the correct usage of that word? Here ya go ... [url]http://www.fasthumor.com/images/FUCK.swf[/url]

Cheers. Neil

*Edit*
I'm becoming Neils personal URL editorGrin
Edited by Skeeve on 08/07/2008 07:25

Hypatia
Hello Big Blue - nice to meet you.

catman
Big Blue: if IBM had anything to do with it, the devil did make you do it.Wink
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Jump to Forum: