View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Products involved in the recall
RayvenAlandria
Please go check your pantries and throw out any of these brands if you have them. Over 500 people have gotten ill with salmonella and a few have died. They are advising that consumers toss out any products that may have had affected peanuts in them.

http://www.access...ack%20Bar/

Sinny
I just bought a jar of Jiff peanut butter and used it to make peanut butter cracker sandwichesShock. I like to do that to save money and cut down on sodium..
Edited by Sinny on 01/25/2009 17:48

Sinny
whew I checked for the Jif Peanut butter that I just bought and other products. I also called the supermarket and they said they got rid of the little debbie peanut butter snacks and the other product. They said they pulled the products before it go to the public. Seems the supermarkets find out way in advance these days. Good to know that. Still I could have had one of those products in my cabinets and not even know something was wrong. Many a times I keep the product for a few weeks before cracking it open. thanks RayvenAlandria Smile

catman
That's a shame about all the food. The little peanut butter and cheese crackers make a good snack. Austin's are the most common brand here.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
Thanks Rayven.

This isn't the first time there's been a problem with peanut butter during just the last year or so.

We're members of a local co-op and with peanuts - or cashews, almonds, walnuts, etc., purchased from them customers can grind their own nut butters. I think that's the best way to go at this point and it may be that some of the grocery stores or health food stores have nut grinders too.

You can make your own peanut butter or other nut butter snack crackers using what ever kind of crackers you want to yourself, so you're not having to do without while waiting for this to blow over.

I love almond and cashew butter. You just have to remember that nuts, and therefore nut butters, are high in fats (but still have a lot of nutrition) so you have to keep an eye on your serving size - unless you don't care about that.

RayvenAlandria
Welcome everyone. From what I can tell, the canned peanut butter we buy is safe. (at least this time). The tainted peanut butter in this case isn't sold directly to consumers, it's used to make other products. But, many of those products are common ones which we might have in the kitchen. I sometimes buy Austin's crackers and Little Debbie Snacks. Luckily I haven't in a while though.

Stuff like this is scary. Who'd think you might get deathly ill eating a Little Debbie snack or some healthfood bars?

Even the grind your own peanut butters are not 100% safe though. The nuts could spoiled, the grinder could have germs on it etc...We can never be perfectly safe and I suppose we'd drive ourselves crazy with paranoia if we put too much thought into it, but when there's a known recall we should at least throw out risky products and warn everyone we know.

Skeeve
This is what happens when you remove government oversight and allow self-regulation. The last eight years are going to be hell to fix.
Edited by Skeeve on 01/26/2009 10:11
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
Absolutely right. The rich people were allowed to have it their way for eight years, and you can see what happened. It's all 'trickling down' now. There was little regulation, 'self-' or otherwise.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Sinny
A lot of Companies and small businesses like to avoid regulations because it's a lot of red tape, expensive and they a have to give a rats ass as well as be honest.

I know I'm revealing that I am getting old but sheesh I can remember a time when almost all food products didn't display their ingredients and none of them displayed their nutrition facts. They weren't thrilled when they had to start doing that so I can see what fun it's going to be trying to get them to regulate all the other products we ingest.

Edit: almost forgot. As of now a lot of products that aren't regulated don't have all their ingredients displayed and don't have to the correct amount or tell the truth as to what exactly is it we are ingesting. They can make any claim they want and it doesn't have to be in their products or do what they claim it would do after eating it.
Edited by Sinny on 01/27/2009 18:02

Bob of QF
Sinny wrote:
Edit: almost forgot. As of now a lot of products that aren't regulated don't have all their ingredients displayed and don't have to the correct amount or tell the truth as to what exactly is it we are ingesting. They can make any claim they want and it doesn't have to be in their products or do what they claim it would do after eating it.

My personal favorite is bottled water: there is absolutely *zero* regulations on this junk.

A person can literally start up a "bottled water" company, and fill it from the used bathwater in their home....

...and label it as "all organic" if they like.

*bleah*

Has anyone noticed that most bottled water costs more than a typical gallon of gasoline in the US? Far, far more?

P.T Barnum would've been proud.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Theory_Execution
We, over this side of the pond, have a pretty good food safety awareness.

The government does regulate the contents and display details of lots of foods. We have a traffic light system which notes sugars, fats, protein and some other stuff. Simply green for good, amber for ok and red for not so good.

Yet we do have recalls on produce too, thankfully the recalls make it to the news and people are made aware of it.

The reassuring thing about recalls is that they do happen, it would be worse for the consumer if they were ignored.

RayvenAlandria
Get this, I read the other day that the company behind this fiasco KNEW they had salmonella in the system and they purposely shopped around for a lab that would give them negative test results so they could ship out the product.:angry5:

http://abcnews.go...660&page=1

Things like this make me wish there were a death penalty for things other than capital murder. As far as I'm concerned the person/people in charge of the company who purposely shipped a tainted product are murderers and should be prosecuted as such.

Hypatia
If that's the case then I consider the result of the actions of what this company has done as murder and attempted murder, since they obviously knew what could happen when people consume salmonella. This is outrageous, and really, no pun intended, sickening to know they would knowingly risk people's lives.

catman
I agree. Totally inexcusable. It is murder! (Hypatia, I'm so glad you wrote "no pun intended".)

RayvenAlandria
This just keeps getting worse. Now the FDA has determined that the Peanut company lied when they claimed later tests cleared the tainted product. Apparently they shipped some of it out after it tested positive for salmonella and they never retested it.

I seriously hope they charge the people who made that decision with manslaughter, depraved indifference, or something. People died because they cared only about money.

http://www.cnn.co...index.html

(CNN) -- The Georgia company whose peanut products have been blamed for a nationwide salmonella outbreak shipped some products even though they had tested positive for the bacteria and no other tests indicated they were safe, the Food and Drug Administration said Friday.
The FDA confirmed Friday the Peanut Corp.'s Blakely, Georgia, plant shipped tainted product without retesting.

The FDA confirmed Friday the Peanut Corp.'s Blakely, Georgia, plant shipped tainted product without retesting.

Previously, Peanut Corporation of America had said it shipped products only after subsequent tests on them came back negative. Items made with its peanut products have been linked to more than 500 cases of illness, including eight deaths.

The agency said the company's management told FDA inspectors last month during an inspection of the plant that they shipped products that first had tested positive for salmonella, but only if they later had tested negative.

But, it said, "FDA determined that certain information provided by PCA management during the inspection was not consistent with the subsequent analysis of the company's records."

As a result, the agency amended its report Thursday.
Don't Miss

* FDA: Plant says product shipped only after negative tests
* Potentially tainted peanut products sent to schools
* Poor oversight fueled salmonella outbreak, critics say

"In some situations the firm received a positive salmonella test result, followed by a later negative result, and then shipped the products," said the FDA report, which was included in an e-mail to CNN. "In some other situations, the firm shipped the products [which had already tested positive] before it had received the [second] positive test results." Video Watch Senate hearing on food safety amid peanut recall

In some cases, it said, "no additional testing appears to have been done."
advertisement

No one from the company returned a call seeking comment.

Federal authorities have initiated a criminal investigation into the company.

RayvenAlandria
The peanut company filed for bankruptcy. That means none of the victims can collect a dime.

I bet the creeps who run the company embezzled money and will disappear to avoid prosecution. If they try, I hope they get caught and more charges are tacked on. They deserve to rot in jail for the rest of their lives. They won't though, they'll get a few years at most. Pisses me off.

:angry5:

Sinny
At least a criminal investigation is being done so maybe they will, at least, go to prison. What about collecting on their Insurance? Don't they have to by some law have Insurance in case something like this happens? Also since they filed for bankruptcy will they be watched to make sure they don't later pull a Donald Trump and start up another business under another name. If they got away with that then they could pay what they owe to their victims even though it could never really make up for the loss of lives and damage they caused.
Edited by Sinny on 02/14/2009 13:11

Sinny
Bob of QF wrote:
Sinny wrote:

My personal favorite is bottled water: there is absolutely *zero* regulations on this junk.

A person can literally start up a "bottled water" company, and fill it from the used bathwater in their home....

...and label it as "all organic" if they like.

*bleah*

Has anyone noticed that most bottled water costs more than a typical gallon of gasoline in the US? Far, far more?

P.T Barnum would've been proud.

Yes I heard about this. What also gets me is how the the Company Poland Spring got caught by co-workers. We all complained the water cooler water supplied by Poland Spring tasted horrible and found it was tap water. About 6mos. to a year later they got caught again only this time by they public. When that came out in the Newspapers it was reported that was the second time they got caught by the public this didn't even include where I work who caught them. All they got was a fine and possibly loosing a lot of paying customers.

Another thing most people don't know is never, never leave your store bought bottled water in you car during the summer and never re-use the empty bottle. From what I have heard certain chemicals are released into the water under extremely hot conditions...atmosphere. Freezing doesn't seem to cause any harm as of now. I once re-used a bottle from bottled water, I figured I could save money and use my water filter on my faucet, and it turned brown so I will never do that again. Shock

Bob of QF
Sinny wrote:
Another thing most people don't know is never, never leave your store bought bottled water in you car during the summer and never re-use the empty bottle. From what I have heard certain chemicals are released into the water under extremely hot conditions...atmosphere. Freezing doesn't seem to cause any harm as of now. I once re-used a bottle from bottled water, I figured I could save money and use my water filter on my faucet, and it turned brown so I will never do that again. Shock

You can purchase stainless steel "water bottles" at various camping supply houses.

Steel is mostly iron, and a bit of iron in your water is actually good for you anyway.

You can also get aluminum, but I don't recommend that *at all*. Aluminum as been linked to Alzheimer--not a firm link, but why take a chance?

As for re-filling-- it's safe, if you don't use FILTERED tap water, or pre-chilled from the refrigerator.

Why? Because direct-from-the-tap still has some residual chlorine in it, and this will serve to slightly sterilize your used bottle. Filters remove this, as does chilling it in the refrig (once it's exposed to light, the chlorine compound rapidly breaks down, and looses it's antibacterial properties. By the time it's chilled down in your refrigerator, it's gone).

If you *must* filter your water, and re-use the plastic bottles, or you want to use your stainless steel one, you ought to sterilize your container first.

Simplest is to pour boiling water into it, and let it sit for 15 minutes. Careful! Some bottles will melt at this temp.

Even easier, is a teaspoon of household bleach, fill up with water, let stand for a couple of minutes, then rinse well. Fill with filtered/chilled water.

You can use less bleach, and just leave it in-- it won't hurt you, but most folk detest the taste.

The above two are old camping tricks...

The dishwasher is not a really viable option, as the hot dishwater does not enter those plastic bottles well enough-- the neck is too small.

Hand washing with any soap is preferable; be *certain* you rinse at least 3 times-- soap residue will give you the trotts... *bleah*
Edited by Bob of QF on 02/15/2009 08:15
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Jump to Forum: