View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » Funny Zone
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
women who know their place...ha ha this is mostly for women
Sinny
WOMEN WHO KNOW THEIR PLACE

A point of view

Barbara Walters of Television's 20/20 did a story on gender roles in Kabul , Afghanistan several years before the Afghan conflict. She noted that women customarily walked five paces behind their husbands.

She recently returned to Kabul and observed that women still walk behind their husbands. From Miss Walters' vantage point, despite the overthrow of the oppressive Taliban regime, the women now seem to walk even further back behind their husbands, and are happy to maintain the old custom.

Miss Walters approached one of the Afghani women and asked, 'Why do you now seem happy with an old custom that you once tried so desperately to change?'

The woman looked Miss Walters straight in the eyes, and without hesitation said, 'Land Mines.'

Moral of the story is (no matter where you go)

BEHIND EVERY MAN, THERE'S A SMART WOMAN.
 
Bob of QF
Interestingly enough in Korea (I think that's the correct Asian country), the custom is exactly the opposite: a woman is expected to walk several paces *in front* of the husband/father.

For the exact same reason: land mines.....
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
catman
Sinny: That is great! Serves the Afghan Islamic sexists right.

As for the Koreans...well...Sad
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
Sinny
Ha ha well then I don't like that joke Bob Q.

Funny think is I like walking a few feet or at least one foot behind the men at work. I walk too slow for them so I figure let them go first then I can take my time. Also I figure if there's trouble ahead I have time to turn around and go the other way. Wink
 
Doubting Thomas
That reminds me of that episode of M*A*S*H where the Korean farmer had his daughters checking the field for land mines so the oxen could plow it.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.
 
Sinny
Well now out in a field I wouldn't dare go first LOL. I would suggest throwing rocks first. At least come up with an invention that would trigger the mines without using humans or animals as bait.
 
Bob of QF
Sinny wrote:
Well now out in a field I wouldn't dare go first LOL. I would suggest throwing rocks first. At least come up with an invention that would trigger the mines without using humans or animals as bait.


Humans, yes....animals? Never! Do you have any idea how much an oxen cost?

<eyeroll>

Whenever human life is overabundant (such as unwanted daughters), it will be used as a disposable commodity.

I remember reading, once, of one poor country or other that had had a sort of manufacturing plant built there, and was full of locals working piecemeal jobs for pennies.

Another company had contacted the government, to automate much of the process, while improving the remaining jobs into supervisory [watching the machines, keeping them working properly] positions with some actual responsibilities and pay to match. Training to be included.

The local government cried "foul" as it would've put the majority out of work, and as none of the locals trusted machines, all the new workers would've had to have been imported...

...so the piecemeal process remained, even though the mechanical one would've boosted the local economy in other, more subtle ways *and* turned out 100's of times more product *and* 1000% superior quality.

When human life is plentiful? It becomes cheap.....
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
Sinny
I'm not sure I disagree with the Government this time Bob. Unless I'm not picturing this right in my mind here.

An Example: In the supermarkets today we see the new improved do it yourself cashing out (automated checkout) at the cash out counters. We scan our products ourselves but can't use the automated checkout for double of the same product, that means we have to lift all the heavy items individually instead of telling the cashier we have multiple items of the same product, work the machine to pay ourselves, scan the coupons ourselves and bag ourselves. Nothing like putting the paying customer to work.

The reason for this is: The supermarket will layoff many of the cashiers. Keep one cashier that get's promoted to supervisor, a minimal increase to be in charge of supervising the machine (automated checkout) and basically do nothing else but stand and watch or bullshit with another employee. They don't even help with bagging. All the while the cashier is working his/her ass off to assist the paying customer and the savings the supermarket makes don't get passed onto the paying customer or the new supervisor in charge of the freaking automated (more work) check out.

Sometimes machines and hiring in a supervisor position just isn't worth it.

EDIT: to make it worse the supermarket managers make sure there are less and less real cashiers to choose from to force the public to use the other only option there is.....automated check out. to make it worse us ladies who have pocket books must run back and forth with bagging...."bagging area is full' crap! run quick and bag then run back to scanner where pocket book is and hope no one steels my wallet (purse) in my pocket book. Don't rely on the freakin supervisor to watch it for you.
Edited by Sinny on 02/05/2009 20:23
 
Bob of QF
Sinny wrote:
I'm not sure I disagree with the Government this time Bob. Unless I'm not picturing this right in my mind here.

An Example: In the supermarkets today we see the new improved do it yourself cashing out (automated checkout) at the cash out counters. We scan our products ourselves but can't use the automated checkout for double of the same product, that means we have to lift all the heavy items individually instead of telling the cashier we have multiple items of the same product, work the machine to pay ourselves, scan the coupons ourselves and bag ourselves. Nothing like putting the paying customer to work.

The reason for this is: The supermarket will layoff many of the cashiers. Keep one cashier that get's promoted to supervisor, a minimal increase to be in charge of supervising the machine (automated checkout) and basically do nothing else but stand and watch or bullshit with another employee. They don't even help with bagging. All the while the cashier is working his/her ass off to assist the paying customer and the savings the supermarket makes don't get passed onto the paying customer or the new supervisor in charge of the freaking automated (more work) check out.

Sometimes machines and hiring in a supervisor position just isn't worth it.

EDIT: to make it worse the supermarket managers make sure there are less and less real cashiers to choose from to force the public to use the other only option there is.....automated check out. to make it worse us ladies who have pocket books must run back and forth with bagging...."bagging area is full' crap! run quick and bag then run back to scanner where pocket book is and hope no one steels my wallet (purse) in my pocket book. Don't rely on the freakin supervisor to watch it for you.


I *always* prefer the automated ones-- *I* won't be making a mistake and double-scanning items by "accident"....

Patience: the time of the self-scanning and put into bags is not long.

Sooner or later, someone *will* implement RF tags.

Then, you "log in" whenever you enter the store, with your ID for your account, payment method, etc.

You shop by dropping into baskets, and directly into bags *as you shop* if you like.

To "pay" you take the cart through an RF scanner, which scans everything at once. Then, you pay with cash, card, etc. If by card, you don't even have to slow down.... you'd registered your card at "log in" time.

Straight to your car, no lines, no checkers, no nothin'. The system knows what you took through the RF reader, and bills your card accordingly.

You bag as you shop....

....as I said? Patience.

The *other* thing that's going to change with brick-and-mortar stores is internet grocery shopping....a rapidly growing trend, especially for people who want organic/free-range/all natural/etc foods...
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
Doubting Thomas
And since shoplifters will have to go through the scanners, if they've placed something in their pocket it will be scanned along with the other groceries.

That is... unless they figure out how to remove the RFID tags before going through the checkout.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.
 
Bob of QF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
And since shoplifters will have to go through the scanners, if they've placed something in their pocket it will be scanned along with the other groceries.

That is... unless they figure out how to remove the RFID tags before going through the checkout.


Yep. The first is a boon. The second? That will mean that the RFID tags will have to be buried deep into the product.... not unlike the existing tags on merchandise is now.

Then, all a clever thief needs is a way to de-activate the tags while in the store, or to mask them somehow. An RF Faraday cage perhaps?
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
Sinny
Yeah Bob I heard about the carry your own scanner. I got a life size picture in my head of men carrying around a scanner to work to bring with them after work when they stop off at the supermarket :lol: and it's just what I need to carry around. :no:

I hope the scanner (RFID) tags can unscan the groceries the customer changed their mind about purchasing. It's bad enough taking jobs away from the cashiers and even worst, to me, when the supermarket savings isn't passed onto the customer. Groceries prices still go up. I would miss and want the human contact I have with the cashier. Just like I do when I call customer service at any Company I need help or to place an order and with and my bank. The self checkout machines are more work for the paying customer and that totally sucks when there's no cashiers to help scanning and do the bagging.

Although It would help if the customer could put their groceries directly into the bags in the cart then have one huge scanning done all at once without having to put the groceries on a conveyor belt and then having to rebag every item.
Confused grandma and the always at least one customer who has to pay with exact change and fumble around for it would be a thing of the past. Is it worth it to put people out of jobs and loose the human contact we have now? would the savings of having to pay the cashiers out weigh the cost of buying the machines, maintenance and repairs of the machines?

If logging in before shopping is simply holding up a card that automatically scans who you are is that simple that's a plus for me. Like what I have for work. I have a picture ID with a microchip inside the card...that is automatically scanned when I hold it up to the panel to open the door. If this would be something that requires the store to have my address, phone number and my income I wouldn't participate in it or shop at that store especially when I use my charge card to pay not a personal check. I also don't like the idea of RFID chips in items we take home that aren't de-activated once scanned. I also wouldn't want that log in card to have a microchip that monitors where I go before and after I shop. I'd only want it for the purpose of using the grocery scanners if I or any customer intends on using that particular type of scanning for check out.

Another words I like to have the choice of how I would pay for my groceries. I think in time the customers will no longer have that choice.
 
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Place Specific The Lounge 25 04/27/2012 17:33
Guantanamo Infographic- Close this place! The Rant Room 4 01/11/2012 15:35
3 women accept Nobel Peace Prize The Lounge 3 12/11/2011 20:00
man and women graphic Funny Zone 3 07/21/2010 01:12
Vatican: Ordination of Women likened to Pedophilia? Christianity 5 07/18/2010 10:56