View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
An 'immortal' jellyfish is swarming through the world's oceans, according to scientists.
Sinny
They better not kill them off!! Instead I want medical research done to find me that fountain of youth. I don't just want to be younger inside but outside too Smile

The Turritopsis Nutricula is able to revert back to a juvenile form once it mates after becoming sexually mature.

Marine biologists say the jellyfish numbers are rocketing because they need not die.

Dr Maria Miglietta of the Smithsonian Tropical Marine Institute said: "We are looking at a worldwide silent invasion."

The jellyfish are originally from the Caribbean but have spread all over the world.

Turritopsis Nutricula is technically known as a hydrozoan and is the only known animal that is capable of reverting completely to its younger self.

It does this through the cell development process of transdifferentiation.

Scientists believe the cycle can repeat indefinitely, rendering it potentially immortal.

While most members of the jellyfish family usually die after propagating, the Turritopsis nutricula has developed the unique ability to return to a polyp state.

Having stumbled upon the font of eternal youth, this tiny creature which is just 5mm long is the focus of many intricate studies by marine biologists and geneticists to see exactly how it manages to literally reverse its aging process.

http://www.telegr...world.html
Edited by Sinny on 02/02/2009 20:52

catman
Fascinating, although it's probably too late for me.:sad: Even if it turns out not to be, imagine how much Merck, Pfizer, et al would charge for it. I'd almost rather die than make them richer.

It's just what an overpopulated world needs.Grin
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Kallistie
Oooh, interesting! I'm with you there, Catman, on making the medical companies richer, but still!

RayvenAlandria
Jellyfish are taking over the oceans because of the overfishing. This specimen is incredibly interesting. Even if we can't get the secret to immortality from them, perhaps we can figure out how their cells change so freely and learn how to reverse things like cancer.

jayon
Hell, there is a new food source. "Jellyfish stew for everyone." "Aww, not again!"

catman
A peanut butter and jellyfish sandwich, perhaps?
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Sinny
Ha ha somehow the thought of eating jellyfish just doesn't sit right with me. It must be the jelly part...yep that's it. I don't like jelly, jams or jubilees. Never did and never will.

Rayven that's a good point and idea. Reversing cancer would greatly improve life for many adults and children. Though I do doubt it would be packaged or permitted to be a cure. Scientists, Doctors and drug Companies would much prefer to have it reverse for a short term and only to a certain extent. Never completely. Then again reversing it comepletely doesn't mean it wouldn't come back although that would give a person enough time to fight it in time to kill it. There's no money in that for the drug Companies, Doctors, Scientists. I don't mean to imply every single one of them wouldn't want a cure out of this but lets face it they learned from other previous life threatening diseases in history. Vaccines and booster shots make money as well as medications, treatments. Reversing it to cure it or kill is quite different from reversing to control it and that's what I think they would want to do...control it. Cancer is a huge money making business now. Unfortunately it's not for the patient. I often wonder if the Insurance Companies or the President's of Insurance Comanies have investments in medications etc.

catman
I feel that I should mention the 1940s swing tune It Must Be Jelly ('Cause Jam Don't Shake Like That), performed by Glenn Miller. Is that a great title or what?Wink

Sinny
Now that's a title that makes sense Cool

Jump to Forum: