View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Oh no....
Doubting Thomas
I noticed with great sadness when I looked at the calendar today that Ash Wednesday is just around the corner on Feb 25th. That means savior-on-a-stick season is almost here. While this probably doesn't mean much to most people, almost all of my family is Catholic, so they'll be insisting on eating fish on Fridays until Easter, and I'm sure my wife will be insistent that I attend church with her on that day. But if she insists I go with her on Ash Wednesday, I'm not going to let them put ashes on me so that it looks like someone put out a cigar on my forehead.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
I'm sorry you have to do that. At least there will probably be some nice music.

I was once a Catholic...but I thought they got rid of the 'fish on Fridays' thing a number of years ago. I suppose your relatives are simply going beyond the call of duty for extra points.

That ash thing made me wonder whether the plural of 'shaman' is 'shamen' or 'shamans'. I don't suppose the question comes up very often.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

RayvenAlandria
You could always tell them to kiss your ash.

Ok, Ok, very bad joke.

Bob of QF
catman wrote:

That ash thing made me wonder whether the plural of 'shaman' is 'shamen' or 'shamans'. I don't suppose the question comes up very often.

You could always go with "assholes".... Shock
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Doubting Thomas
They did away with the no eating meat on Friday with Vatican II, IIRC. However, the prohibition of eating meat on Friday still exists during lent & Ash Wednesday. I think there's also a requirement to fast on Ash Wednesday & Good Friday (which means only eating small meals and no eating in between meals) but when I was growing up, in our family it meant no eating between meals at all between Ash Wednesday and Easter.

Frankly, I'm against any religion that puts restrictions on a person's diet.

Of course this was all supposed to be voluntary and a way to atone for your sins, because the Catholic church teaches everyone that they're evil sinners just because they've been born.

jayon
'Shaman' is 'shamans' plural according to wiktionary. They specifically say "The plural form is shamans, not shamen" in the definition. I guess there has been some debate on this. They attribute it to the fact that it's a russian word that becomes plural only by adding an 's'. I say do what you want though. Hell, it's still a living language, right? If people understand you, that's really all that matters.

Sinny
Doubting Thomas wrote:
They did away with the no eating meat on Friday with Vatican II, IIRC. However, the prohibition of eating meat on Friday still exists during lent & Ash Wednesday. I think there's also a requirement to fast on Ash Wednesday & Good Friday (which means only eating small meals and no eating in between meals) but when I was growing up, in our family it meant no eating between meals at all between Ash Wednesday and Easter.

Frankly, I'm against any religion that puts restrictions on a person's diet.

Of course this was all supposed to be voluntary and a way to atone for your sins, because the Catholic church teaches everyone that they're evil sinners just because they've been born.

Where I work just about every cafe' serves fish on Friday. A lot of people where I work also only eat fish at lunch. I don't know about dinner but fish for lunch on Friday is a big thing for most. It usually does start around ash Wednesday (lent). Maybe people still do it out of tradition, habit or having something to belong to as a group mentality thing.

There are exceptions for people who must watch their sugar and blood pressure or for any medications they are on. So now today they can change the rules of the supposed god and still be forgiven. What a crock it all is.:rolleyes:

And btw the evangelicals christians teach the same abuot that just being born is a sin....again what a crock :rolleyes:
Edited by Sinny on 02/13/2009 19:50

catman
jayon wrote:
Hell, it's still a living language, right?
I sometimes do my best to kill it.Wink

Yeah, I figured it would be 'shamans' rather than 'shamen'. That just didn't look right to me.

DT: I have been completely out of touch with Catholic rules & regs since I dropped out of it in 1968. I couldn't help but wonder, when they dropped the rule about meat on Fridays, how angry all the people who had faithfully (pun intended) observed the rule for hundreds of years would be to find out that they restricted their diets for nothing. How arbitrary and silly it all is.
Edited by catman on 02/14/2009 05:17
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
... because the Catholic church teaches everyone that they're evil sinners just because they've been born.

Any religion that claims being born is a sin is evil beyond imagination.

For what they are basically saying, is that babies are evil. Period.

Babies?

Evil?

Sick, SICK, sick fucks, I say.

Anyone who claims innocent babies are evil......that's sick.

One of the tacks/argument threads I often use against the fundies is that their sick god *hates* babies....

....fundies really squirm on this issue.

And there's plenty of bable stories to support my claim that the bible-god hates babies....

....for he directly killed so many of'em.

To perdition with the lot of'em, I say.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Doubting Thomas
I wish I could be totally out of touch with the church's rules, but when you're surrounded by them, you still are reminded... Oh well, it's not like I've been to church for a while, Christmas was the last time, and I don't even remember what the holidays of "obligation" are, especially since I don't feel obligated at all even on Sunday.

catman
I'm not surrounded by anyone reminding me of religious rules, fortunately. My cousin is a fundie, but he's not around here very often, and I try not to get into religious discussions with him, having found that he is simply not amenable to reason. He has a pretty crappy life, and he'd just disintegrate without his god-belief.

cheshiredragon
Being born is a sin? That's a new one...for me anyway. So, my parents decided to get busy one night and that is somehow all my fault? IF anyone wants to point fingers, point them at me and his mother for our son being born. He had no say in it. Unless we decided to vacuum him out but, obviously we didn't.

Where in the bible does it say that simply being born is a sin? Fair God my ass.
Edited by cheshiredragon on 02/16/2009 13:48
That's right, I said it...

Cynic
My daughters were both vacuumed out and they're fine. Wink

(For those unfamiliar, there's a vacuum suction thing they can attached to a baby's head so that they can be pulled at the same time the mother is pushing if things are a little too tight. It's safer than forceps.)

Doubting Thomas
I really don't have a problem with eating fish or seafood since I do like it, but I hate having to eat it because everyone around me thinks that a sky fairy is going to torture them forever if they eat beef or chicken.

Being born is a sin according to the Catholic faith (and probably many other Christian denominations) because of the idea of Original Sin, which means we all bear the sin from Adam & Eve disobeying God by eating from the tree of knowlege. Yeah, I know. Really fair, huh? So by the property of just being human, you are an evil sinner. The only way to get rid of Original Sin is to be baptized (washing away the sin).

Of course, they just don't understand how silly this all really is. I mean, the idea that all human life began with just two humans who disobeyed the all-powerful God and now we all have to pay the price for thier disobedience just because we're human. Oh, it's not God's fault that he puts a tree in the middle of the Garden of Eden and tells the two humans he just made not to eat from it, and being omniscient knowing full well that they would. Don't forget to add a talking snake into the mix and since Eve was a woman and talked Adam into eating the fruit, all women who come after her should be second class citizens and suffer child birth pains.

jayon
cheshiredragon wrote:
Being born is a sin? That's a new one...for me anyway. So, my parents decided to get busy one night and that is somehow all my fault? IF anyone wants to point fingers, point them at me and his mother for our son being born. He had no say in it. Unless we decided to vacuum him out but, obviously we didn't.

Where in the bible does it say that simply being born is a sin? Fair God my ass.

Don't worry, Paul penciled it in last minute in Romans 5:12,14. He liked to clarify things like that so that we can all be sinners in the Christian Bible. I mean Paul wrote it, so he can say what he wants. Now why anyone follows that jazz is beyond me...

Kallistie
Oh crap. I'm really hoping my mother doesn't go this year. She didn't last, but that doesn't mean anything with her.
What I like best about the fish thing is, is that it as instituted to save the Venetian fishing fleet (I think it was Venetian, but I might be wrong), or so I was told.

Every once in a while, I step back and look at the Church and the Bible and go What. The. Fuck. This is where half the West's problems come from.

Doubting Thomas
So last night my wife & I went to a Mexican restaurant with my in-laws, and they all order meatless entrees, and I ordered the steak fajitas. I really like steak fajitas, and I knew they were good at this place. Anyway, I wasn't going to place someone else's religious restrictions on diet onto myself. My wife wanted me to order the shrimp fajitas, which also are pretty good, but we'd been eating quite a bit of shrimp lately and I was concerned about the high cholesterol. I know, beef also has cholesterol, but not as much as shellfish.

The server brought out our food, and my mother-in-law said, "You ordered meat!" I simply replied, "Yes, I did." My father-in-law bumped her arm with his fist in order to say, "Leave it alone," which she did. If she'd have laid into me about eating meat, I'd probably have gone off on her about how it's none of her business what I eat and her superstition doesn't have any bearing on what I choose to eat.

I really didn't want to try to cause a scene, I just wanted to eat what I want to eat. I did eat a tuna salad sandwich for lunch, I figured I could eat meat for dinner if I wanted. But I came to realize what her problem is. She must be very insecure because she wants everyone around her to be exactly like her. She is very afraid of anyone being different. It's kind of like when she was talking about this one guy, saying "Now I have another reason to not like him - he's a Democrat!"

Yesterday was only the second Friday during Lent. I hope I have strength to make it through.

Theory_Execution
I hope I have strength to make it through.

On a steak and tuna diet, I think you will have strength enough.

Skeeve
Good call on the steak fajitas, God hates shrimp!Grin
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
DT: Good for you. They all want everyone to be exactly like them. Freethinking is not allowed.

Jump to Forum: