View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Ok we get it they don't like valentines day
Sinny
I don't think this is really radical. A lot of protesters do stupid shit in parks, on the streets and not all are peaceful.

What I don't get is since or if this is the law of the land that is just understood 'don't show affection in public' then why not enforce the law instead of doing stupid shit to try and stop them.

On the other hand if couple's want to participate they could do this in the privacy of their own homes or go out to a nice dinner. Eventually over time the generation against it would eventually die out and the new generation growing up having to hide it would eventually ban together and say this is bullshit. Now then the majority would take over.

Here's the article:

Valentine attackers held in India
Shiv Sena activists burn Valentine's Day cards in Jammu, India, on 14/2/09
Hardline groups say Valentine's Day symbolises Western corruption

Radical Hindus have been arrested in India for targeting young couples on Valentine's Day, police say.

The activists belong to Shiv Sena, a group accused of carrying out assaults that included clipping the hair and blackening the faces of young lovers.

Valentine's Day has become popular among young Indians in recent years. But public shows of affection are still generally frowned upon.

Hardline groups say Valentine's Day is a symbol of "cultural corruption".

Groups such as Shiv Sena say they are protecting Indian culture from Westernisation.

'Breach of peace'

Six arrests took place in the northern Indian city of Agra, home to the Taj Mahal - the monument built by Emperor Shah Jehan in memory of his beloved wife.

The protesters used scissors to cut the hair of overtly romantic couples in a nearby park, superintendent of police VP Ashok said.

"The six belonging to Shiv Sena group were arrested for causing a breach of the peace," he told The Associated Press news agency.

Meanwhile, the AFP news agency reported that five members of the same group were arrested in Delhi for threatening couples in a park.

Many couples had their faces blackened in western Aurangabad and northern Bijnaur, Reuters reports.

Such disruption of Valentine's Day by hardliners is becoming an annual event, and police this year were on high alert.

Another group vandalised a shop selling Valentine's cards and raided a restaurant in Indian Kashmir looking for romantic couples, the AP reports.

Protesters also burnt flowers and Valentine Day cards to mark their protest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7890457.stm

RayvenAlandria
What stupidity. How sad for the people they attacked.

Cynic
The emphasis isn't on couples showing affection so much them showing it on February 14th. On any other given day, I doubt anyone would do much of anything (in India). All the Indians I know aren't this anti-Western (that I know of), but this isn't surprising given that they live here. I'm not sure which group outnumbers who, but I kind of get the impression that the protesters are kind of in the minority on this one.

Sinny
Yes Rayven I agree it's sad for their victims but still they did stupid things in public instead of protesting the peaceful way. With the exception of vandalizing the shop it remind me of the stupid things kids do on mischief night before Halloween. Which includes assault of the person and destroying property.

Sinny
Cynic wrote:
The emphasis isn't on couples showing affection so much them showing it on February 14th. On any other given day, I doubt anyone would do much of anything (in India). All the Indians I know aren't this anti-Western (that I know of), but this isn't surprising given that they live here. I'm not sure which group outnumbers who, but I kind of get the impression that the protesters are kind of in the minority on this one.

It seems like they are. I get the impression that the majority already enjoy celebrating Valentines Day. I just don't get why be so stupid about it if they don't like it and why call it radical. It doesn't seem radical to me but then again maybe that was put in the article to get people to read it or simply because they are against the western's holiday. It's a holiday India doesn't normally celebrate but the US (Westerner's) do so any group against it is automatically labeled radical simply because they claim India is becoming more like us. Any change in society is bound to have protesters...funny I don't recall calling our protesters radical.

Cynic
I think in a more conservative society, any deviation from mainstream thinking is more immediately considered radical. I wasn't there for it, but even in 1960s United States, anti-war protesters were considered radicals. Of course, some of them really were radicals, like the Weathermen.

There might be an analogy to religions too, where the smaller it is, the more likely it's considered a cult or fringe, and other names that imply that it just ain't right somehow.

Of course, it might also be because they're Hindus, who aren't generally know for being like this. Like, it's not so much that they're radical in terms of society at large, but radical for Hindus. Picture the Amish running amok in a similar fashion and you'll see what I'm getting at. Shock They'd be labeled radical Amish overnight!

cheshiredragon
I despise Valentine's Day too but, I think these people are going a bit to far.
That's right, I said it...

jayon
In a way, I don't think they call themselves radical, rather the ones that are celebrating this odd holiday of open romance. I mean who does that in today's world anyway? Holding hands and kissing in public! They aught to be ashamed of themselve and their parents glad they were humiliated. Yeah, no...
Edited by jayon on 02/16/2009 15:43

Sinny
Cynic wrote:
I think in a more conservative society, any deviation from mainstream thinking is more immediately considered radical. I wasn't there for it, but even in 1960s United States, anti-war protesters were considered radicals. Of course, some of them really were radicals, like the Weathermen.

There might be an analogy to religions too, where the smaller it is, the more likely it's considered a cult or fringe, and other names that imply that it just ain't right somehow.

Of course, it might also be because they're Hindus, who aren't generally know for being like this. Like, it's not so much that they're radical in terms of society at large, but radical for Hindus. Picture the Amish running amok in a similar fashion and you'll see what I'm getting at. Shock They'd be labeled radical Amish overnight!

I was going to cut down your post here but then realised that I agree with your post since you brought up good pints regarding their being called 'radical'

I think it's more to sell the article and because they are hindu. I'm used to seeing much more than what they did as radicals to so me it just didn't fit to call them radicals.

Sinny
cheshiredragon wrote:

I don't despise Valentine's Day and I see nothing wrong with it. It makes the couples happy, it doesn't hurt anyone and if the couple can't afford a lot to give then just have a nice dinner, give chocolates (num num num) or instead of buying and spending small fortune on cut flowers buy a little plant that blooms roses or something like that. It less expensive than a dozen roses. Of course the chocolates and sex will do just fine. If it were me I personally would much prefer being given a kitten or a homeless cat regardless of age Grin

cheshiredragon
Sinny wrote:
cheshiredragon wrote:

I don't despise Valentine's Day and I see nothing wrong with it. It makes the couples happy, it doesn't hurt anyone and if the couple can't afford a lot to give then just have a nice dinner, give chocolates (num num num) or instead of buying and spending small fortune on cut flowers buy a little plant that blooms roses or something like that. It less expensive than a dozen roses. Of course the chocolates and sex will do just fine. If it were me I personally would much prefer being given a kitten or a homeless cat regardless of age Grin

I am not saying, "to hell with Valentine's Day and it needs to stop!" I just don't partake in it. LOVE LIES! It lied to me plenty and that is why I don't listen to it anymore. The only kind of love I like to give can be given in a few short bursts inside(I SHOOT BLANKS), on the back, in the hair, or on the face! Grin

Of course, not many women are simply whores now-a-days. OR they were until their first kid and daddy is no where to be found. Here is my problem:
Single, no kids, atheist, near my age and willing to take on a kid that is not theirs. <--- This woman does not exist. If you know of one let me know.

hmmm, I trailed off there for a bit....OK the reason I don't like V-Day:
Nothing good has ever happened on that day. Saturday being the first V-Day in many many years, I actually tried to have a good V-Day. I won't give you all the details, unless you ask nicely, in PM(no worries i won't send it to everyone again.) The day was SHIT, utter SHIT! never again will I try to have a "nice", "fulfilling" or WHATEVER THE FSCK V-DAY AGAIN!!!
That's right, I said it...

Jump to Forum: