View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Late introductions :)
MementoMori88
Hey everyone Smile

I did actually join quite some time ago, unfortunately I was kept busy working on my degree.

So to start off I'd lke to ask what may seem like a personal question, so if it does, feel free to refrain from answering. What are your jobs/disciplines and do you feel that being an atheist impacts upon them...

cheshiredragon
Since September, yes it has been a long time. Welcome aboard.

I am a Network Analyst, Server Administrator & part-time technology consultant. No, being an atheist has no bearing with what I do nor does it get in the way. I have more trouble going to the DR office and him/her asking my religious preference rather than hear it from my clients/customers. They just want their "damn XXX fixed!"
That's right, I said it...

Skeeve
Hey MM, about time you posted. Grin

Currently I manage a small convenience store, atheism doesn't really have any bearing on my job.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Hypatia
Welcome to the site MomentoMori88.

I have a permanent disability (SCI) and don't work. With the help of hospice I took care of my elderly MIL at home, who had Alzheimer's, until her death in November.

My main occupation was as a licensed massage therapist, and I've also worked as an administrative assistant and clerical support staff (among other things). Being an atheist has never interfered with any of the work I've done, although there were always plenty of theist/spiritual people around. But that never caused problems.

RayvenAlandria
I gave up a career in counseling to homeschool my kidlets, so I suppose being an Atheist doesn't have much influence on my *career* these days, at least not any detrimental influence. I avoid textbooks that mention anything about Gawdfairies and/or other nonsense, so I suppose my Atheism has some influence.

My husband is in the Navy, and yes, it is an issue that brings us frustration from time to time. (We keep finding ourselves working with overly religious assholes who think it's okay to tear down the separation of church and state.)

General-Pryce
I run a small theatre company which brings in very little so I'm starting a tour company to do historical tours of Edinburgh. One of the tours is called "Ghosts Busted: Skeptics on the Mile" and sets out to debunk a few myths about the paranormal- so being an Atheist actually HELPs lol.

Incidently, I've just started a monthly lecture series called "Skeptics in the Pub" ( A bit like the American "Drinking Skeptically"Wink. We have our first next month and we've got a well respected speaker called Professor Chris French- he was Britains main celebrity skeptic until Richard Dawkins became better known.

Doubting Thomas
Until recently I worked in law enforcement as a police/fire/EMS dispatcher. My atheism didn't really have much of a bearing on that job, except maybe wondering why churches feel the need to have burglar alarms since Jesus told his disciples that if someone steals your cloak, offer them your shirt as well.

My wife thinks my job was one reason I became atheist, since in that job you see a lot of the negative side of life. But actually, it is just logical reasoning which led me to question the religion I grew up with and subsequently reject it.

Right now I manage a small business along with my wife in a small, religious town. My atheism doesn't really have much to do with my job, but it's not something I announce to the customers, either. It's really none of their business.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Hypatia
:boogie: Hi GP!

What about you MM88?

General-Pryce
Hey Hypatia xx

Cynic
Hey MM, welcome!

I've been home watching my kids for a few years now, but am actively switching careers, where I'll work (initially) as a research lab technician in a medical biotechnology-oriented lab. I'd saying being an an atheist is largely a nonissue in science, even though it's more common there than in most other professions. Those in science that are still religious have learned to effectively compartmentalize their thinking on that matter.

catman
Hi, MM, I'm a professional musician. It doesn't impact me at all.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
Well, since there seems to be a trend, I'll go along...just this once. Grin

Hi, MM.

I have a history of computer programming, but I got seriously burned out by that, so I now spend my days fixing people's furnaces in the winter, and their air conditioners in the summer.

I'm licensed, and work with a business partner. Although he does not attend church, he unfortunately does sometimes listen to the right-wing lies on Talk Radio, and it occasionally comes up. Fortunately, *I* listen to the middle-of-the road radio, NPR, so I usually have a rational answer.

He still (sortof) believes in some sort of "god" but has disdain for organized religion. And he's a libertarian, much as I am. So, I am usually able to steer the conversation into safe ground.

As far as the customers are concerned? I keep mum. Sometimes, I have to literally bite my tongue as some little old lady exclaims (when her furnace/AC starts working again) "I was praying god would fix it".

"Well, it's working now. Here's your bill". Grin

I consider it a huge effort of restraint on my part *not* to ask her how come her god allowed it to break down in the first place..... <rolls eyes>

So, it occasionally comes up in conversation-- and I, in order to avoid loosing a paying customer, must keep mum.

But, one thing I've found: religiously "tainted" money spends just as well as any other kind....!

Grin

I do make it a point to mark out any religious iconography someone has penned on the money. I don't bother with the government mottos: the supreme court has clearly defined "in god we trust" to have zero religious significance, and that's good enough for me. Shock

I see it as a poke in the eye of the overly religious anyway....they *think* it does have significance, but it's just another lie they tell themselves...

LOL
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Doubting Thomas
I probably would have said, "I'm not God, but I did fix your furnace." If God was going to fix her furnace, she'd have frozen to death waiting for it to start working again. As it is, like you said, God caused it to break down in the first place and cause her to pay a hefty repair bill (I'm guessing, because they usually are for heat/AC units).

Only thing I have to put up with is my religious mother-in-law talking to some of the locals & always saying something like "God has a plan for us/it's all part of God's plan" blah blah blah. OK, whatever, but my plan for me is to call it a day at 5:30 and go have a cold one.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Cynic
God's plan is to toss us into the furnace, once it's fixed. Wink

Theory_Execution
Hello MM88,

I finished my degree last year and am currently trying to sort out funding for my masters.

I studied physics, and found that most on the students were not religious (I also have the benefit of living in the UK) and for those that were if it was brought up, I couldnt help but give them my thoughts.

The worrying thing I did find out is that there are fundamentalist medical students. In a conversation with one he stated that people have cancer because they personally have sinned. I was truely disgusted when he said that.

I cant say I have ever faced difficulty because of my atheism, had a few teachers shout at me (went to a Roman Catholic school) but I could see their reasons for doing so.

catman
Cynic wrote:
God's plan is to toss us into the furnace, once it's fixed. Wink

That is hilarious! Excellent! :laughcat:
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
I probably would have said, "I'm not God, but I did fix your furnace." If God was going to fix her furnace, she'd have frozen to death waiting for it to start working again. As it is, like you said, God caused it to break down in the first place and cause her to pay a hefty repair bill (I'm guessing, because they usually are for heat/AC units).

Only thing I have to put up with is my religious mother-in-law talking to some of the locals & always saying something like "God has a plan for us/it's all part of God's plan" blah blah blah. OK, whatever, but my plan for me is to call it a day at 5:30 and go have a cold one.

There's a church near my house with a Markee-- a big sign they may display "pithy" sayings on, visible to the major road that passes by.

Lately, they've put up:

"God has plans for you"

I cringe slightly whenever I see that: it sounds exactly some sort of *threat* to me.

Fortunately, I'm not buying.

Do not these people see the evil inherent in their beliefs?

What sort of god would stoop to threats/extortion to get followers?

Answer: not a *good* god, certainly!
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
There is a sign/marquee outside a church in my neighborhood stating, "Lord, let me be an instrument for you". Huh, nobody is going to 'play' me.Wink

Hypatia
Theory_Execution wrote:
Hello MM88,

I finished my degree last year and am currently trying to sort out funding for my masters.

I studied physics, and found that most on the students were not religious (I also have the benefit of living in the UK) and for those that were if it was brought up, I couldnt help but give them my thoughts.

The worrying thing I did find out is that there are fundamentalist medical students. In a conversation with one he stated that people have cancer because [b]they personally have sinned. I was truely disgusted when he said that.
[/b]
I cant say I have ever faced difficulty because of my atheism, had a few teachers shout at me (went to a Roman Catholic school) but I could see their reasons for doing so.

Masters degree, not masters=gawds... Not that you didn't make yourself perfectly clear to begin with T_E. It's just that every time I read that I squirm just a little. :bigrazz:

I have heard people from other 'walks' of 'faith' or 'spiritual paths' say the same thing. That concept pisses me off hugely, and is disgusting. As if it's a person's fault they get terminal illnesses because of the way they've lived their lives - spiritually, physically, mentally, etc., etc., and if they'd made better choices they wouldn't be sick, etc., etc. Unreal.

Add it to the list.

Cynic - :frenchy:
Edited by Hypatia on 02/24/2009 15:36

Hypatia
catman wrote:
There is a sign/marquee outside a church in my neighborhood stating, "Lord, let me be an instrument for you". Huh, nobody is going to 'play' me.Wink

'Play' can have more than one meaning though Cat.

Not that I'm flirting here or anything. Just reminding you. Not that you need reminding, but... thit.

:headscratch:

Jump to Forum: