View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Toxic crap in the oceans
RayvenAlandria
Okay, maybe a deserted island isn't such a good place to move to.

I wonder how we're going to clean up all the munitions we've dumped into the ocean, not to mention industrial waste, and who knows what else.

We really need to clean up the planet but how do we afford to do so? We need to find a way, but how do we then dispose of what we collect? Increase NASA'a funding so we can shoot it into the sun?

http://www.cnn.co...index.html

Theory_Execution
This reminds me of a recent vodka advert, it starts with a guy on a trauler throwing an empty can into the ocean, it then jumps back up and hits him in the back. The advert continues with everything ever made by man flying out of the ocean.

For the advert it is to allude to the filtering of this vodka, but its a really entertaining thought, all the stuff that has been lost at sea or deliberately put there, must fill up quite a lot of space.

I dont think firing waste into the sun will be a viable option at all for a long time. People are working on things called space elevators, utilizing technology similar to rail guns, a string of magnetic devices that accelerate the object.

As it stands it would be a great drain on fossil fuesl, that being a problem for many reasons.

Bob of QF
One of the best solutions for getting rid of waste--- any sort of waste, is to entrench it at the edge of continents as they are about to dive under another one.

There are deep trenches in the oceans, where one plate is going under another one...the current models have these plates going down deep into the earth's molten magma layer, and melting. Eventually, resurfacing elsewhere as lava flows (which is what keeps the total crust's volume stable...)

It would be the ultimate in recycling.....
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
Two things wrong with that idea: The process is very slow, and in the meantime, all the crap in the ocean is poisoning it.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Theory_Execution
You could adapt that idea and purposely open volcanos, but ofcourse that it very dangerous and pollutary too.

I thing a great step to solving a lot of the waste issues would be to stop creating it in the first place.

Over in the UK the government is pushing the general citizen to recycle all this crap we get, that exists as a result of companies needlessly wrapping things multiple times.

In a lot of cases they dont even need that much wrapping.

Another thing that annoys me about this whole thing is that they encourage homes to switch off light and conserve electricity by switching off at the wall (good idea) but then ignore businesses that leave whole shops lit up at night (I see there are reasons such as crime deterent, but there are other ways).

With respect to businesses the turning off of lights could be enforced by law, so could the wrapping of their produce.

Bob of QF
catman wrote:
Two things wrong with that idea: The process is very slow, and in the meantime, all the crap in the ocean is poisoning it.

It's not *that* slow: within 20 years, if the deep barrels are placed in the correct spot, are beneath miles of rock.

And if you select the proper containment, it's not poising anything; at the depths we are talking about, there is no oxygen and the water is near-freezing cold. Thus even untreated steel will not rust until it's subsumed. Chemical reactions are so slow, that anything solid will not have enough time to react.

Your second objection would only apply to liquids, which can be housed inside suitable containers.

The only reason why we are not doing this already, is that it's more expensive to go this deep.

But, even so, it's about a million times cheaper than a space launch would ever be.

And you don't have the problems space launches have: what happens to your toxic waste, if the space ship explodes? All current space vehicles are basically giant bombs waiting for the right conditions....

With deep ocean deposits, there are no explosives to deal with.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

RayvenAlandria
Well, I believe that deep ocean and surface burial is what's planned at this point. I don't think it's a great solution, but it's the best we have at this point.

As TE said, the best solution would be to stop making waste, but that's not going to happen for a very long time.

I would love for our houses and buildings to float and be able to travel by portal so that there'd be no need for roads, cars, etc... The land could go back to it's natural form. That isn't going to happen anytime soon either though. *sigh*

catman
Bob: As you said, placing all this stuff in the 'correct spot' would be hugely expensive. I bow to your superior knowledge of the subject. Space launches are totally out of the realm of possibility, and it's probably a good thing. The Interstellar Police would issue us a citation for littering.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Jump to Forum: