View Thread

Atheists Today » Religion » Islam
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Radical Islam is a fact of life. Live with it!
derF
Here is a link to a very interesting article from Newsweek Magazine by Fareed Zakaria about Radical Islam that I found very interesting and enlightening. It is offered here for your perusal. Would like to hear any comments you might have although I will refrain from debating it with anyone. At least for a few more weeks anyway. Hope everyone is weathering this economic storm fairly well.

http://www.newswe.../id/187093
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Skeeve
I started it, but I'm too sleepy to finish. I don't think I like where it's headed. Will try again in the morning with a fresh coffee filled brain.

Good to see you again, derF!
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
It reminds me of what Winston Churchill said when Nazi Germany attacked the USSR in 1941: "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would at least make a favourable reference to the Devil in the House of Commons". In other words, we need all the help we can get, and trying to force democracy and liberalism on people who don't want it isn't going to work. I don't like radical Islam at all, don't misunderstand me. But a sense of what we can and cannot do is appropriate.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

RayvenAlandria
The person who wrote that story is a complete moron. I've only gotten part way through it and I can all ready tell. His theory that the Taliban was not involved in 9-11 let's me know that he is nothing but a fucking coward who wants to pretend the terrorists are not terrorists so he can justify not giving a shit about the way they are trying to spread their insanity.

Radical muslims are dangerous, ALL of them. There is no harmless radical muslim. It is an incredibly dangerous and violent cult and it needs to be completely wiped out.

What I would prefer to see would be moderate muslims wiping out the radical muslims but that's not going to happen. They are afraid of them and afraid they will be punished for all eternity if they stand up to them. I would like the whole religion to die, the radicals to physically die and the moderates to become educated and lose religion. I feel the same way about all religions. I want the radicals to all fucking die and the moderates to grow a brain and lose religion.

If the moderates don't grow a brain but at least learn to stop pushing their delusions on other people, I could be satisfied with that.

Theory_Execution
The issue is not radicalism, the issue is the beliefs that such ideas are enabled by.

Yes a man with a bomb strapped to his chest is dangerous, but so is a population of head bowers.

I see what the guy is getting at, America (UK too) throws its soldiers at every problem, might will make right. The problem is that it doesnt. And at the moment one child dies in a war, you lose.

catman
Rayne, I agree with you, except that the moderates of any religion aren't the ones doing most of the pushing.

T_E: Unfortunately, children die in all wars. I hope that the USA will be much less inclined to "throw its soldiers" around since the change of administrations. Afghanistan for the Afghanis.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
Your comments, as usual, are well thought out and pointed. It would be useful if we could use diplomacy to turn the moderates into active members of their religion opposing the radicals. The 'enemy within' as it were. I have come to doubt that using brute force against a culture that fervently believes in an eye for and eye will ever achieve total victory.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Jump to Forum: