View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Oil Computer...
cheshiredragon
In the words of professor Hubert Farnsworth, "GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!"

The Oil PC didn't kerplode as I thought it might. Thursday night was a great success for computer users everywhere. Derek(a co-worker, I guess friend now heh) and I submerged a computer in oil. Vegetable oil to be exact. We were supposed to use mineral oil but, that is expensive and we didn't want to waste money on that and then this experiment not work. OH sinny, this is kind of what my first computer looked like..no case and a pile of electronics that appeared to make no sense. Grin

Heathens, I made a video. I had to use my cell phone because it was the only means of recording over at Derek's so the quality is not as good as my webcam.

ENJOY! http://vids.myspa...d=54041771

Stay tuned for the HD antenna. Today we are going to make an antenna for our HDTVs. We went to several stores and found that a poor one 80$ and a good one 150$. Well, since we know what it takes to make an antenna for HD, we know that the parts will only cost about 7$ total and about 1hr of labor to build an HD antenna. Talk about savin some cash $$$
That's right, I said it...

RayvenAlandria
The video is not loading for me. I'll check it again later.

I'm glad your experiment worked. Cool.

Edit: It won't let me add you. The email you use here is not valid for myspace.
Send me a request.

http://profile.my...D=58270567
Edited by RayvenAlandria on 03/14/2009 11:56

Skeeve
Can't get it to load for me either...Sad
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Doubting Thomas
The video loaded for me OK, but I was wondering what the point of the experiment was. To see if a computer would operate while covered in oil, or to find a better way to cool the processor?
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
It loaded for me. Definitely one of the strangest things I have yet to see on line. I think the idea was to see if the computer would continue to work.

I couldn't help imagining a row of computer boards covered in oil for sale at Best Buy!
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Skeeve
Still can't get it to load. I even embedded it in our video section...same thing.

ETA: Works fine on my Vista laptop. Awesome experiment, I woulda bet against you. Grin
Edited by Skeeve on 03/14/2009 16:48

Bob of QF
I could not see the video posted by CD.

However, ever since I saw this:

www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/aquarium_pc2.jpg

I've always wanted to try it.... they used pure mineral oil-- 10 gallons of it. Kinda pricy, though.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

cheshiredragon
I don't understand why it won't load. That is why I put it in MySpace, hoping it would be universal.

The experiment is a cooling technique. That was an older machine that doesn't get too hot though. We tested it on old hardware just in case anything went wrong we didn't fry a thousand dollars worth of PC equipment. I am working on the HD antenna right now..not sure how I am going to make the video for that since it requires a LOT of hands-on.
That's right, I said it...

Bob of QF
cheshiredragon wrote:
I don't understand why it won't load. That is why I put it in MySpace, hoping it would be universal.

The experiment is a cooling technique. That was an older machine that doesn't get too hot though. We tested it on old hardware just in case anything went wrong we didn't fry a thousand dollars worth of PC equipment. I am working on the HD antenna right now..not sure how I am going to make the video for that since it requires a LOT of hands-on.

Try the "snapshot" approach: your cell phone would work well enough.

Snap your collection of starting materials, or your drawing or sketch, etc.

Snap the connections you need to hook to, etc.

Take snaps of each significant step in the fabrication process.

Then, you can load it on one of those 'how-to' sites-- lots of them about, with step-by-photodoc-step.

Skeeve
I couldn't get it to work on my XP desktop, but it loaded and played on my Vista laptop.

Works fine on MySpace and our own video section. On this laptop.

Bob of QF
Skeeve wrote:
I couldn't get it to work on my XP desktop, but it loaded and played on my Vista laptop.

Works fine on MySpace and our own video section. On this laptop.

you have a link to "our own video"?

I tried the "Videos" link at the left, but did not see anything resembling "oil computer" or "computer" for that matter...

Thanks.

Edit: okay, I saw the link, lower-down.

I tried it, and I get the same "rotating circle" I got on Myspace, but after a few minutes, nothing changes.
Edited by Bob of QF on 03/14/2009 23:35

Hypatia
It loads and plays for me, buy it will only play part way through. I tried it a couple of times and the same thing happened both times.

cheshiredragon
i am thinking it may be a flash thing if it won't load(update Flash to ver 10) but, playing only halfway through is a mystery to me..after I get some routers setup here i will see if I can't put in a direct download.. will need Quicktime though

Hypatia
Oh, I was using Firefox and Windows Vista...

Will try it another time w/Firefox and Widows XP.

Skeeve
Found the problem. I blame Rayven. Grin

http://www.macrom...ger03.html

Check "Allow third-party..."

I followed the link (originally posted by Rayven) on this computer and adjusted my settings, I must have unchecked that box unknowingly, but I hadn't gotten around to setting the laptop up.

*edited for link credit Wink
Edited by Skeeve on 03/15/2009 11:31

Bob of QF
cheshiredragon wrote:
i am thinking it may be a flash thing if it won't load(update Flash to ver 10) but, playing only halfway through is a mystery to me..after I get some routers setup here i will see if I can't put in a direct download.. will need Quicktime though

Quicktime? I don't *do* quicktime, sorry...

Oh well.

Skeeve
Bob, check my last post above.

Bob of QF
Skeeve wrote:
Bob, check my last post above.

I did ..... I tried it both ways, no joy.

All I ever get is the "rotating arrow" that indicates "loading".

But a glance at my internet activity icon (my network traffic thingy) and I see zero traffic is actually taking place-- ergo, nothing is loading.

10 seconds, 15, 20. Nothing. I have high-speed (>7 megabits) cable, and unless the movie is an hour long, 30 seconds is an eternity.

This was after I saw the quicktime requirement, but I tried it anyway.... I just neglected to edit my quicktime comment. Sorry about that, I should have.

Skeeve
You try right clicking on the video and making sure your computer is giving it permission to play?

Bob of QF
Skeeve wrote:
You try right clicking on the video and making sure your computer is giving it permission to play?

Yep.

I even *shudder* tried it in I.E. same rotating arrow, but never any video.

Oh, and yes-- I updated my FLASH plugin, no change.

Jump to Forum: