View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
MARCH Birthdays
Hypatia
i97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/beadbum/bbhb.jpg

It's my birthday and I'll hmmm if I want to, hmmm if I want to... Grin

Yep, today is me birthday - yippee!

Who else besides Schmoo and I have their birthdays in March?

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/balloons.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/2vsj1nm.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/rainbowf.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

Hippo burp day to us, hippo burp day to us, hippo burp day, hippo burp dayyyyyyyyyy, hippo burp day to us!

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/confetti.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/n7.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

Celebrate, celebrate...

i97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/beadbum/hBirthday.jpg
 
Sinny
Hey Patia :bday:


:elmodance:

I hope you have a great Birthday today :cheerful:
Edited by Sinny on 03/18/2009 16:44
 
catman
Happy birthday, Hypatia!:streamers: And to all the other godless heathens out there whose birthdays are in March.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
RayvenAlandria
Mine was the 14th but I didn't feel any need to draw attention to it. It's just another day to me.
 
Skeeve
You only have one birthday, the rest are all anniversaries. Grin
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine
 
Hypatia
Thanks Cat and Sinny.

It's been like any other day, but we'll wait to do something until Friday or over the weekend.

RayvenAlandria wrote:
Mine was the 14th but I didn't feel any need to draw attention to it. It's just another day to me.


Until now. Pthppffthft, lol.*

What the hell do I care, 'just another day' works two ways as far as I'm concerned. I'm only going to turn 51 once. That isn't a complaint, only an observation, but one it doesn't bother me to make.

*Edit - *Most of the time I do a monthly birthday thread, but I sort of forgot it for January and February, so this birthday thread should include those folks too.
Edited by Hypatia on 03/18/2009 22:54
 
RayvenAlandria
double post
Edited by RayvenAlandria on 03/19/2009 02:36
 
RayvenAlandria
Until now. Pthppffthft, lol.*


Apparently you missed my meaning. I was trying to hint that pointing out your own birthday is a kind of tacky.
Edited by RayvenAlandria on 03/19/2009 02:36
 
catman
If one doesn't point out his/her own birthday, how would anyone know about it? I am already old enough and don't especially look forward to being 63(!), but it beats not getting there at all.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
Hypatia
RayvenAlandria wrote:
Until now. Pthppffthft, lol.*


Apparently you missed my meaning. I was trying to hint that pointing out your own birthday is a kind of tacky.


Actually no, I didn't miss your meaning. I think it's really strange that you think it's tacky for someone to tell people it's their birthday. Did you just make that up? I don't think I've ever heard about anyone else thinking that kind of thing before.
 
RayvenAlandria
Maybe we were raised differently. My mother is the old fashioned Southern type, so maybe she went overboard with the *lady-like* manners. I was taught that it was incredibly low-class to do things like draw attention to your own birthday, your new hairstyle, etc...A lady just wasn't supposed to flail around saying "look at me, look at me" or fish for compliments. To do so would have been a serious infraction and make people think you were scum.

When I see someone ask lovers/family/friends "Do you love me?" or "what do you like about me?", it turns my stomach. Attention seeking of that kind a huge turn off and if someone I dated did it, I'd stop dating them. It's that much of a turn off. I see broadcasting your own birthday as a lesser infraction, but along the same lines. I wouldn't stop dating someone for doing that but my red flags would go up and I'd go into observation mode and start looking for more signs of self-centeredness.

Perhaps it's a cultural thing, some of the southern manners stuff is rather stupid. It's hard to deprogram, so pardon the knee-jerk reaction. I should have just kept my opinion to myself. My reactions are my own and not everyone feels the same way about such things.

 
Bob of QF
Hypatia wrote:
What the hell do I care, 'just another day' works two ways as far as I'm concerned. I'm only going to turn 51 once.


51? Did you say 51?

Hmmm.

This year (2009) I will have been around 51 summers myself... born in 1958.

One-half-century plus one-one-hundredth.

There ought to be a prize for surviving that long... <heh>
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
Hypatia
Bob of QF wrote:
Hypatia wrote:
What the hell do I care, 'just another day' works two ways as far as I'm concerned. I'm only going to turn 51 once.


51? Did you say 51?

Hmmm.


This year (2009) I will have been around 51 summers myself... born in 1958.

One-half-century plus one-one-hundredth.

There ought to be a prize for surviving that long... <heh>


Si. ?? Why?
 
Hypatia
RayvenAlandria wrote:
Maybe we were raised differently. My mother is the old fashioned Southern type, so maybe she went overboard with the *lady-like* manners. I was taught that it was incredibly low-class to do things like draw attention to your own birthday, your new hairstyle, etc...A lady just wasn't supposed to flail around saying "look at me, look at me" or fish for compliments. To do so would have been a serious infraction and make people think you were scum.

When I see someone ask lovers/family/friends "Do you love me?" or "what do you like about me?", it turns my stomach. Attention seeking of that kind a huge turn off and if someone I dated did it, I'd stop dating them. It's that much of a turn off. I see broadcasting your own birthday as a lesser infraction, but along the same lines. I wouldn't stop dating someone for doing that but my red flags would go up and I'd go into observation mode and start looking for more signs of self-centeredness.

Perhaps it's a cultural thing, some of the southern manners stuff is rather stupid. It's hard to deprogram, so pardon the knee-jerk reaction. I should have just kept my opinion to myself. My reactions are my own and not everyone feels the same way about such things.



Mmmm, nope, don't think it could be a cultural thing. A good part of my family are southerners and there have been plenty of 'hang-ups/stupid manner stuff' that comes from that background. But viewing people as anywhere from 'tacky' to 'scum' for telling others they're having their birthday hasn't been one of them.

Your own ideas of socially acceptable manners seems to range from judging a person for simply enjoying their own birthday and telling other people about it all the way to calling people who have done things you don't 'approve' of really hateful, despicable names to even thinking they should be dead. It doesn't take a scale to know that's way off balance.

So no, Rayven - you're not anyone who needs to be looking down her nose and telling me, 'Tsk tsk'. As a matter of fact I'd say you're clearly a case of the pseudo-counselor being in need of therapy herself.
 
Skeeve
Can I derail this now before the party favors go up in flames and ya'll start throwing cake at each other?
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine
 
Sinny
What! throwing cake! can't have that! no cake throwiing. I like my cake and I want to eat it too.

Maybe if people didn't post for the purpose of starting a fight there wouldn't be any cake throwing or need to derail. Just because it's not what a particular person wouldn't do themselves that doesn't mean it's tacky or wrong for someone else to. One does need to look inside themself and question themself as to why they felt the need to put down what a poster posted about when they claim they themselves wouldn' t normally post about the subject in the first place. Except to instigate an argument and deliberately inuslt for no reason other than getting attention.
Edited by Sinny on 03/20/2009 11:54
 
cheshiredragon
I'll do it, Skeeve. Happy Birthday to the both of you! Grin

Don't HASSEL the HOFF on your birthday! Even if he has to ride a knight to get to the party!
17.media.tumblr.com/368701_500.jpg


And one because I am a HUGE Zelda fan and the ladies like the "cuteness" factor Smile
21.media.tumblr.com/319261_500.jpg

SUCCESS!!!
That's right, I said it...
 
Hypatia
Awwww Zelda! Thanks for dropping in! How 'bout some cake cutie pie?

Tanks CD! I thoroughly enjoyed my day - as I always do - and I'm still not done celebrating, lol.

My parade can't get rained on. Wink



 
RayvenAlandria
*rolls eyes*

Those who need to know it's your birthday, (family and loved ones), all ready know. Those who don't know, (like people on the internet) don't really care. They may pretend to care, but they actually don't. Most won't say anything negative, but I guarantee most of them think you're fishing for compliments and attention.

At your next therapy session you might want to discuss attention seeking compulsions.

Just because someone points out that you're exhibiting attention seeking behavior does not mean that they need therapy. It means they don't like you enough to bite their tongue when you do tacky things.

But by all means, carry on with the attention seeking and compliment fishing. It's amusing; Well not really, but carry on anyway. I'll go find something else to watch.
 
Hypatia
RayvenAlandria wrote:
*rolls eyes*

Those who need to know it's your birthday, (family and loved ones), all ready know. Those who don't know, (like people on the internet) don't really care. They may pretend to care, but they actually don't. Most won't say anything negative, but I guarantee most of them think you're fishing for compliments and attention.

At your next therapy session you might want to discuss attention seeking compulsions.

Just because someone points out that you're exhibiting attention seeking behavior does not mean that they need therapy. It means they don't like you enough to bite their tongue when you do tacky things.

But by all means, carry on with the attention seeking and compliment fishing. It's amusing; Well not really, but carry on anyway. I'll go find something else to watch.


Yet again another of your 'expert', self-serving opinions, along with your propensity to accuse someone of the precise thing someone else has pointed out you yourself are doing - this time it's 'attention seeking'.

Only you, Rayven, could and would take something like this and attempt to make a jerk of another person, when they aren't, and there's no logical reason to make any kind of deal out of a supposed transgression they've committed - in your mind.

Again, seriously, I don't even care to try to figure out what's going on with you, what your problem is, but you need to take several giant steps back from judging and analyzing other people and take a look at yourself - you're the one who seems to need some kind of therapy. (I think you're a miserable person, someone who is very unhappy with herself and perhaps her life in general, and you want others to have a misery party with you. Something as simple as me enjoying my birthday and telling others about it puts a bug up your ass - not because of etiquette or any other bullshit like that, but probably because you're too anal retentive to have done it yourself.)

I think you are so oblivious to how condescending you are to people, to how contradicting you are. You say you hate 'passive/aggressiveness' - you're the opposite - you're 'aggressive/passive' and you're so full of yourself, so absolutely full of shit that you don't even have a clue of where you are in your own mess.

You're incredibly transparent and predictable Rayven, and trying to correct and fix everyone but yourself isn't doing yourself any favors.

Your attempts at insults and sarcasm (to me now, and to others on these forums at other times) only put your emotional imbalances more in the spotlight and are, frankly, a sad display.

You are exactly the kind of person who should not, I repeat, should not, under any circumstances, 'counsel' other people in any capacity - drug abuse, family counseling, whatever it may be. You obviously don't have the emotional and mental stability to be allowed to be involved in that line of 'work'! That isn't an insult or a put down, it's just the truth.

For some reason it never ceases to amaze me how many times I hear about people who are emotionally imbalanced thinking, because they've 'experienced' or 'learned' something about therapy or something, that they just have to get into that line of work and 'fix' other people. That must be some kind of phenomenon. Fix yourself, oh Broken One, and then we'll discuss you criticizing me (or anyone else).

In the meantime, criticize this [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/fingersmiley.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

Is it possible to give Rayven her own Forum, where she can hang out her psuedo-counselors shingle and analyze, knock, criticize, etc., people to her hearts content and not have it spread all over the other forums?
 
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
The March on Washington U.S. Politics 3 08/28/2013 11:01
Lobby Day for Reason: March 23, 2012 Secular Activism 1 12/10/2011 11:17
MARCH BIRTHDAYS! The Lounge 3 03/18/2011 12:45
JANUARY BIRTHDAYS The Lounge 4 01/21/2011 23:45
HAPPY DECEMBER BIRTHDAYS The Lounge 3 12/06/2010 21:42