View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Secular Activism
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Atheist doings in DFW
catman
I am so very pleased. On Monday, 30 March, two billboards will go up which state, "Don't believe in God? You are not alone." One will be in Dallas, the other in Fort Worth. Along with them, a new organization will come into existence, the Dallas-Fort Worth Coalition of Reason, with a website at dfwcor.org. There are other Coalitions of Reason in Philadelphia and Denver, with which this will be affiliated. It is also connected with the Metroplex Athiests and the North Texas Church of Freethough.

Finally, something to counterbalance those stupid billboards which purport to be God speaking. And I'm certainly interested in the new organization and website (it won't be operational until 30 March either).
Edited by catman on 03/25/2009 22:57
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
That's great news. I'd like to see those billboards go up in every major city (and minor ones too) across the country.

I haven't seen any of those "- God" billboards in a long time, though they used to be up along this highway in SW Missouri a lot. But I guess they've been replaced by private billboards put up by the children of the corn with biblical verses and threats of eternal damnation on them.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Hypatia
That's fantastic Cat - the billboards and the organization and website.

I'd sure like to see some billboards go up around here, although we don't have as many 'goddie' billboards as a lot of areas of the country do. Still, it's always good food for thought, and lets other non-believers know they aren't alone.

The FFRF has a billboard campaign that is in 'full swing' and I think attempting to eventually cover as much of the US as possible. And they're also now doing the bus campaign too.

cheshiredragon
WOOOO, I'll find them, take pictures and post Grin
Now, I am really excited to go to NTCOF. Hope I don't act like a goofy ball hehe :shylook:
That's right, I said it...

catman
I'm going to try to make it to NTCOF next time (5 April). It's hard for me to get up that early. It's 30 miles from my house. I hope to see you there.

If you act like a 'goofy ball', you'll fit right in!Wink
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

cheshiredragon
I won't be at the April 5th meeting. I am working that day from 9a-7p so I can have that following Thursday off. It is my son's 5th bday and I am taking him to the Dallas Aquarium. I will be there on MAY 3rd and every one for the rest of the year. Yikes, that is pretty far for you so if you want to sleep in this time, go ahead but, by all means attend! I only have to travel about 7mi and it is a straight shot down 114 for me. We all need to start gathering in numbers as atheists. I am definitely going to start taking a more proactive approach to my atheism. That new site, the billboards have just motivated me to do something and be part of the party.

catman
Yes, you must be a dutiful Party member.Wink I'm going to try to go to the meeting on 5 April, but I can't say I'll make it for sure. You reminded me that I haven't been to an aquarium for many years, and the one at the Forest Park Zoo is only about two miles away. It's been completely rebuilt since I was last there. I haven't been to the Dallas Aquarium in decades.

The NTCOF usually has a pretty good turnout. It does my heathen heart good to see so many other godless people.

cheshiredragon
catman wrote:
Yes, you must be a dutiful Party member.Wink I'm going to try to go to the meeting on 5 April, but I can't say I'll make it for sure. You reminded me that I haven't been to an aquarium for many years, and the one at the Forest Park Zoo is only about two miles away. It's been completely rebuilt since I was last there. I haven't been to the Dallas Aquarium in decades.

The NTCOF usually has a pretty good turnout. It does my heathen heart good to see so many other godless people.

A big AwoMAN to my brother in atheism hehehe.

I know the NTCOF has a good turn out, I been there.....yeah ONLY ONCE but, I think I made a good enough of an impression that they will remember me. I just hope they remember me for my intelligence and not my comedy :/ I want to be a part of it big time...I just hope they aren't a bunch of sissies. I'd like to make a presentation and and speak for a few min and one of the meetings.Much has to relate to this site and being proactive atheists!
Edited by cheshiredragon on 03/28/2009 11:33

catman
I don't think they are a "bunch of sissies", although I'm not sure exactly what you mean. They are rather 'out front' about their disdain for religion. When I have gone, it is like going to a college course in biology, what with all the talk of DNA, evolution and the like. I enjoyed college, having been a "professional student" for a long time, so I like it.

I would as soon be remembered for my comedy as my intelligence, if I am to be remembered at all. It really doesn't matter to me. In general, I'd most of all like to be remembered for my musicianship, but I doubt that I'll ever perform for the NTCOF.Smile

cheshiredragon
by sissies, I meant not wanting to do anything, was the wrong word to use heh. I know they have a disdain for religion and they openly talked about it at the luncheon at Jason's Deli afterward. We need to get out and be proactive about this but, not acting like Jehovah's Witnesses banging on doors at 8am. I guess I used sissies in the sense that I hope they don't fear their atheism. It is kind of sad that many of them can not debate with a christian because there are a few I know there that never read the bible. To me, it is like how can you be an atheist if you don't know what you are against. hard to explain really.

General-Pryce
Its great that these posters and also bus slogans have been going up in the past year. It seems the rationalists are finally fighting back. I've just set up a skeptics group here in Edinburgh, (I'll start another thread with more).

catman
CD: I know exactly what you are talking about. Know your enemy. One can't debate the religionists effectively if one don't know where they are coming from. It's a blast if you know the Bible better than they do! I mean, to my way of thinking, one can say, "it's all a bunch of crap" and be done with it, but if she or he can debate them on their own terms, it works much better.

I read Rush Limbaugh's book The Way Things Ought to Be with the idea of "know your enemy" in mind. Instead of simply saying 'he's a big blowhard who is full of s***', I can see where the fallacies are. To put it simply, the book is 3/4ths perfectly logical, but the other 1/4 consists of the assumptions that he rest is based upon. It was much like reading Mein Kampf,although couched in more moderate terms.

Jump to Forum: