View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
jerk cop delays guy trying to go to dying Mom
RayvenAlandria
Wow, just wow. Talk about being a complete dickhead. This cop needs to be booted from the force. What an abusive creep.

I find myself wondering though, if the victim were not a famous football player would this have even made the news? Last week some baseball player was part of a brawl at a wedding and they were arrested. There was a big uproar in the news about that as well. I do believe cops can be abusive assholes and they should be punished for it but I also think in most cases, nothing is done unless the victim is wealthy or famous.

http://www.wfaa.c...a23c1.html

DALLAS — Racing to see his dying mother-in-law at a Plano hospital, an NFL player found himself delayed by a Dallas officer as her life ebbed away. It's a story that has sparked outrage across North Texas and generated interest around the country.

With his wife and another woman in the car, Ryan Moats — a running back for the Houston Texans — sped his car toward Baylor Regional Medical Center of Plano in the early morning hours of March 17. But when the Moats arrived at emergency room parking lot, they were stopped by Officer Robert Powell, who drew his service revolver on the concerned family members.

Dashcam video from the Dallas officer's patrol car captured the incident.

"Get in there," Officer Powell yelled out to Tamishia Moats, Ryan's wife, as she exited the car. "Let me see your hands. Get in there. Put your hands on the car."

"Excuse me; my mom is dying," Tamisha Moats replied.

She and the other woman ignored Officer Powell's commands and rushed inside the hospital to her dying mother as Ryan Moats and Officer Powell went back-and-forth over insurance paperwork the NFL player was unable to locate.

MOATS: "I've got seconds before she's gone, man."

POWELL: "Listen: If I can't verify you have insurance..."

MOATS: "My mother-in-law is dying!"

POWELL: "Listen to me."

MOATS: "Right now, you're wasting my time."

POWELL: "If you can't verify you have insurance, I'm going to tow your car. So, you either find it or I am going to tow the car."

As they argued, the officer got irritated.

POWELL: "Shut your mouth. Shut your mouth. You can either settle down and cooperate, or I can just take you to jail for running a red light."
Dallas PD
The tape shows a nurse coming out of the hospital, pleading with Officer Powell to let Moats join his wife and her dying mother inside..

In a telephone interview, Moats said the clash with the officer was totally unexpected. "For him to not even be sympathetic at all, and basically we're dogs or something and we don't matter — it basically shocked me," he said.

No compassion was indicated in the police recording of the incident. "I can screw you over," Officer Powell said. "I would rather not do that. You obviously will dictate everything that happens; and right now, your attitude sucks."

The hospital twice sent nurses to try and get the officer to release Moats.

"We're blue-coding her for the third time," a nurse said on the police videotape.

A Plano police officer stopped to make a plea for the officer to let Moats go. "Hey, that's the nurse," the Plano officer said. "She says the mom is dying right now, and she wants to know if I can get him up there."

Finally, after a 20-minute delay, the officer ticketed Moats for running a red light.

By the time Moats made it up to the emergency room, his mother-in-law was dead.

"I went up after she passed and held her hand, but she was already gone," Moats said in a telephone interview.

Dallas police have apologized to the Moats family, dropped the ticket, and launched a review of the incident.

“When it came to our attention, we immediately called for an internal investigation to be done,” said police spokesman Lt. Andy Havey.

WFAA.com has received more than 400 comments about the incident since the story first aired on Channel 8 Wednesday night.

catman
I saw that on the noon news a couple of hours ago. What an asshole! Everyone else in the DFW area thinks so too. That cop is a good argument for keeping capital punishment just for him. I'm surprised that the NFL player Moats kept his cool as well as he did.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

RayvenAlandria
Yeah, if my mother or m-in-law were dying and that happened to me I might lose it and smack the cop and end up getting shot.

Well, maybe not. I'd most likely say "fuck you" and run off hoping the bastard didn't shoot me in the back. I'd be crying too much to fight back and would just run like hell and hope I was faster than he was.

RayvenAlandria
Ok, I just now watched the video. I am even more outraged now. At one point you hear the black lady cop, (or hospital security, whatever she is), telling the asshole cop that they called a code blue and they can't resuscitate unless the detained man goes inside and signs papers. That means the cop may have very well caused the death of the guy's mother. He needs to be charged with whatever is appropriate.

RayvenAlandria
http://www.myspac...ellrob2002

I'm ever so surprised he's religious. NOT

http://powellrob2...xanga.com/

His comments, here's an especially interesting one...

Saturday, October 21, 2006

You drink, You drive, You rear end another car, You dont speak english, You smell like alcohol, You cant stand up straight, You cant walk a straight line, You go to jail!!!

Racist much? I wonder if he'd of acted like such a dickhead of the person who ran a red light to go see their dying mother had been white.

This guy needs his ass kicked.
Edited by RayvenAlandria on 03/26/2009 17:14

cheshiredragon
Yeah, a small group of co workers and I gathered around our TV and watched this today. Everyone was pissed at this asshole cop. We were thinking, the cop could have taken the guys wallet and waited outside. He had a wife and kid there, not like he was going to flee anywhere. Especially, with such high profile as a football player.
That's right, I said it...

RayvenAlandria
I don't think the cop knew he was a football player. He just thought he was some random black dude so he treated him like garbage.

cheshiredragon
Then maybe I am a bad cop... OR a good cop, I have enough sympathy for anyone. If that man was screaming like he was about his mother or mother-in-law... I would have said, "give me you wallet" and I would have followed him. There are so many people that want to kill this cop when they get pulled over by him now that I will doubt that he will return to the force.

General-Pryce
What a cock. I think the police need a little more leaway, occassionally a clipl round the ear may be beneficial. But this is just ridiculous. He needs to be pulled up about that.

catman
Once again the fair city of Dallas(!) has national opprobrium, somewhat like November 22, 1963. Well, not that bad. The police chief sounded pretty lame about it. Yeah, we know it embarrasses you, but what are you going to do about it? That cop needs to find a new line of work.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Skeeve
:lolsign:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/XsCuurneZVE&hl=en&fs=1[/youtube]
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

RayvenAlandria
I didn't think it was funny. Although I believe there are cops who do fit his description, I would have wanted to kick the arrogant bastard's ass too. It didn't come across as very funny to me. He just seemed like a smartass prick.

Skeeve
Of course he should expect what he gets, I just thought his rant described so many cops I've had the displeasure of being around.

I don't believe in the "bad apple" theory of cops. I hold to the "a few good apples" instead. From my experience, good cops have been on the job less than 10yrs, usually alot less. They really do want to do the right thing and treat everyone fairly and equally. But because of the dickheads on the force, who they can't speak out about, they are disrespected by citizens regardless of their actions.

From what I've seen, good cops do one of two things at this point:

1. Quit

2. Become a bad cop

Police have too much authority in many communities, so much so they think their word is Law. Around here anything a cop tells you is a lawful order. It doesn't matter that the reason behind the order isn't covered by any laws, the fact that a cop said it made it a lawful order. This is one of my biggest problems with the local cops. I've yet to find one that deserves any respect whatsoever.

So while the above video isn't really funny, the first part of it fits the majority of cops I've known or been in contact with. And I take a little pleasure in watching it and laughing at the stupid pigs.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Bob of QF
RayvenAlandria wrote:
http://www.myspac...ellrob2002

I'm ever so surprised he's religious. NOT

http://powellrob2...xanga.com/

His comments, here's an especially interesting one...

Saturday, October 21, 2006

You drink, You drive, You rear end another car, You dont speak english, You smell like alcohol, You cant stand up straight, You cant walk a straight line, You go to jail!!!

Racist much? I wonder if he'd of acted like such a dickhead of the person who ran a red light to go see their dying mother had been white.

This guy needs his ass kicked.

2nd link is dead-- account pulled by owner.

Wonder if he's getting some admin leave?
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
He 'resigned' today. But he still wants a career in law enforcement. So watch out for him!

cheshiredragon
Yeah, he applying for the Ft. Worth Police force now.

catman
Oh, NO!!!Shock

Doubting Thomas
He "resigned," but I'm betting it was one of those situations where they told him that he could resign before they fire him. At any rate, I'm not sure any other department would really want to hire him after this, unless there's a "good ol' boy" network going on.

BTW, I notice that both the facebook & xanga accounts have been pulled, probably because of the enormous volume of hate mail.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Sentinal
i for one feel sorry for all americans who have to put up with bad cops. australian cops very rarely use brutality or fire weapons. if they do it is a big deal. they are helpful but stilll arrogant pricks. maby that is what carrying a 45 does to a person.....

Doubting Thomas
There are psychological tests in place in most departments to weed out the "I got a badge & gun and I'm gonna kick some ass" personalities, but they do tend to get through sometimes. Of course, having worked in law enforcement (though not as an officer) for many years I do know that you do have to have an assertive personality to be a good cop. Sometimes I guess they get a little too assertive.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Jump to Forum: