View Thread

Print Thread
Minister charged in sex sting
Doubting Thomas
[url]http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/1132456.html[/url]

You know, it'd be a great idea if we had a "black collar crime" section on this message board where we could post stories like this, where people "of the cloth" and other church officials are charged or convicted of crimes.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Hypatia
Good idea DT. FFRF has a page in their newspaper devoted to exactly this, and not only does it a fill a full page in each edition, but it really only represents a fraction of these kinds of crimes that go on.

I like your phrase 'black collar crime' - how fitting.

I wouldn't have a problem at all with posting these stories, and the faces that go along with them, in a 'special' forum just for that purpose - especially when they involve 'goddies'.

:angry4:
Edited by Hypatia on 04/10/2009 02:11

Doubting Thomas
Actually, that's where I got the idea, and the phrase "black collar crime" comes from the FFRF pages. But yes, I for one would love to see a section here just for that purpose, to report on religious people caught in illegal activities.

Yes, I know that atheists commit crimes too, but we're not the ones pretending to be better than everyone else because a sky fairy is our buddy. Seriously, though, don't you think that Christian criminals show a basic flaw in Christianity? The threat of hell or reward of heaven is not enough to make Christians be good.
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 04/10/2009 10:24

RayvenAlandria
I understand your point but making a special forum devoted to religious criminals seems very prejudiced and hateful to me. How would you like a site that had "black criminals" "Jewish criminals" or "white criminals" forums? It just seems wrong to make such a forum.

I do get very angry when I hear about scum like this who pretend they are some high and mighty religious person when in fact they are predators, but I don't think the religion itself is to blame for their scuminess. They just use the religious environment to con people, to build trust, and to divert suspicion. They are a predator first, the religion is just their cover.

Granted, I do think that religion does nothing to stop predators from doing what they do, (since it's all a load of horseshit), but making a forum specifically devoted to this subject just comes across as hateful, IMO.
I wouldn't like it if a christian site made a forum devoted to *proving* how no religious beliefs makes people into criminals, so I don't think we should make a forum which tries to *prove* that religion makes people into criminals.

Hypatia
Doubting Thomas wrote:
Actually, that's where I got the idea, and the phrase "black collar crime" comes from the FFRF pages. But yes, I for one would love to see a section here just for that purpose, to report on religious people caught in illegal activities.

Yes, I know that atheists commit crimes too, but we're not the ones pretending to be better than everyone else because a sky fairy is our buddy. Seriously, though, don't you think that Christian criminals show a basic flaw in Christianity? The threat of hell or reward of heaven is not enough to make Christians be good.

Exactly DT. We aren't 'hiding' behind pulpits thinking we merely need ask forgiveness, from 'god', our families, our churches, for even the most heinous crimes we might commit. It's a totally different thing when 'men and women of the cloth' commit these crimes - especially sex crimes, IMO, than when the 'average Joe' does.

Whats more, it happens frequently. And it seems that people turn their heads the other way, and why? Because the criminals in these cases are religious, and that makes them special? No, no. I don't think so. They're supposed to be examples to others, especially to those they preach to.

A forum devoted to this would be nice, but it isn't necessarily necessary, if it doesn't happen. We can post these stories and discussions in one thread devoted to the topic and accomplish the same thing.

There was someone here recently who was sentenced to prison, a man who called himself 'god', who was convicted of sexual misconduct with underage girls at his 'compound' of a couple dozen followers. I'll find that story and post it soon. For a while it looked like they (the law) weren't going to be able to nail him, but they finally did.

Doubting Thomas
They don't do that, Rayven, because they all "know" that all atheists are criminals & such. They already believe that a lack of religion turns people into criminals. I'm sure you've heard the false argument that if we did away with religion, everybody would be murdering & stealing from each other.

Like Hypatia said, whenever a preacher or "good Christian" does it, they usually get a pass as long as they cry and beg for forgiveness from God. Their fellow churchmembers are usually shocked to hear that Bob Smith stole from the treasury, because after all, he is such a good Christian.

But yeah, I guess it doesn't really matter if we have a specific section in the forum or not, since we can always post such items here. But it just seems like I've been coming across so many stories like this lately that it'd be nice to have one place to put them all.

And I don't think that pointing out when a clergymember or preacher breaks the law is necessarily predjudicial or hateful. To me it's more of a "Hmm... looks like you're not as holier-than-thou as you made people think you were."

Sinny
Yes they do think the people in jails are non believers. They don't come out and say atheist but they do use the term non believers or unbelievers, same thing though. A thread for this would do just find we don't have to have a forum just for this though that would give more room since there are so many reports about this. Too many religious nutballs commit crimes when they are the one's who claim it's the non believers, unbelievers who commit the crimes. They claim everyone in jail today don't find god until they get in jail and weren't christians until they got arrested. Many of the followers go to the prisons/jails and preach to convert those in prison/jail. They fail to see those people accepted the christ and believed in the god before they got arrested. They use the excuse for them that they were slacker christians and even christians make mistakes. Yet when it's a known atheist, which is rare, oh well then that's why.

We do need to have a thread for this purpose since they do claim that christians are morally just and the world would go to hell in a handbasket and everyone would become rapists, murderers, theieves, baby killers, etc. without religion, god, jesus. It wouold help to have this in one place to show they are wrong about that so they could understand.

Hypatia
Thanks for this forum Skeeve!

Sinny wrote:

We do need to have a thread for this purpose since they do claim that christians are morally just and the world would go to hell in a handbasket and everyone would become rapists, murderers, theieves, baby killers, etc. without religion, god, jesus. It wouold help to have this in one place to show they are wrong about that so they could understand.

One reason why I think a forum for this topic will be better than a thread in say the Christian Forum is because it isn't only xtians who fit into the Black Collar Crime catagory. That way the discussions/posts won't be scattered around various threads - they'll all be in one forum, and there can be separate threads withing that forum.

Hypatia
A Sikh cult leader criminal
[url]http://www.cultnews.com/?p=1591[/url]

[quote]10.07.04

Governor of New Mexico flies flags at half mast for alleged
Edited by Hypatia on 04/12/2009 00:15

catman
WTF is up with Governor Richardson? Lowering the NM flag for that nutjob?
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
I don't know Cat - I didn't hear about that at the time. I found that article while I was looking for one about Wayne Bent. If I'd known about it at the time I think I would have written to the FFRF about it. I'll have to check to see if October 23rd is still officially
Edited by Hypatia on 04/12/2009 00:22

Skeeve
Hypatia, if it isn't too much trouble can you repost the sikh story in it's own thread please?

I added the crime forum so each story would have it's own thread. Grin
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Hypatia
Sure - gotcha.

Jump to Forum: