View Thread

Atheists Today » Religion » Islam
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Outrage over woman's mugshot without veil
Doubting Thomas
http://www.southt...ot.article

A muslim woman is charged with beating her niece to death, and her husband is outraged that a booking photo was taken of her without her headscarf.

Personally I say too fkking bad, she has to follow the laws of our land, and if you're arrested you have to have a mugshot taken which shows your face. How about I claim that my religion says that I have to wear the funny nose & mustache glasses wherever I go? I doubt they'd let me take a mugshot photo wearing them.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Bob of QF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
http://www.southt...ot.article

A muslim woman is charged with beating her niece to death, and her husband is outraged that a booking photo was taken of her without her headscarf.

Personally I say too fkking bad, she has to follow the laws of our land, and if you're arrested you have to have a mugshot taken which shows your face. How about I claim that my religion says that I have to wear the funny nose & mustache glasses wherever I go? I doubt they'd let me take a mugshot photo wearing them.

You'll note, that he is not outraged that she was arrested, nor that she will likely face serious jail or possibly death.

His *only* concern was that he looks the fool, because the woman he owns was exposed in public....

Sick, sick religion...
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Sinny
I posted the article of the site DT posted in case some members have trouble getting into the stie. I know sometimes I do.

April 10, 2009

By KIM JANSSEN, Staff Writer
The police booking photo of alleged child killer Nour Hadid released Tuesday is an "insult against our religion," says Hadid's husband, Alaeddin.

Orland Park police detectives say the 26-year-old Muslim woman was treated as any other suspect in a murder probe would be, and they did not intend to humiliate her when they photographed her Sunday without her headscarf and wearing only a skimpy top.

» Click to enlarge image

In her police mugshot, Nour Hadid is shown with bare shoulders and no headscarf (left). By custom, some practicing women wear a hijab (right).
(Courtesy/AP)

RELATED STORIES
• What do you think?

Significance of the hijab
Many devout American Muslim women wear the “hijab,” or traditional headscarf, for religious identity and to signify their modesty, a virtue stressed in Islam for men and women.

There has been some debate among Muslim scholars as to whether the scarf is mandated in religious texts, but for most women who choose to wear the hijab, it is a religious obligation.

To many Muslims, taking off a woman’s hijab in public is akin to taking off someone’s clothes and making him or her stand in his or her underwear.

Some Muslim women also wear a “niqab,” or veil covering their face. But the niqab, many argue, is more of a cultural preference than a dress code enforced by Islam.

By Rumanna Hussain, Chicago Sun-Times Nour Hadid is accused of beating her 2-year-old niece Bhia Hadid to death over four days at her home on the 9000 block of West 140th Street. The child had 55 separate bruises and was beaten "from head to toe," according to prosecutors, who say Hadid confessed.

But Alaeddin Hadid - who insists his wife is innocent - said Orland Park police are "really going to be in big trouble" for releasing the woman's booking photo to the news media after she was charged with first-degree murder.

The Hadids are Muslims and Nour "never leaves the home without covering up," said Alaeddin, who's vowed to sue.

By custom, some practicing Muslim women wear the hijab, or headscarf, and cover their arms and legs when in public.

In the mug shot, a bare-headed and obviously emotional Nour appears to be protecting her modesty with her hands.

"It is against our religion; we do not do this in our culture," Alaeddin said.

"People have been calling me about this all day."

Bhia Hadid's funeral took place Thursday.

Suicide threats

Orland Park police Cmdr. Chuck Doll said the mug shot was taken "for identification purposes" before Hadid made her confession. Her headscarf was handed back to her after the photo was taken, Doll said.

"A matron was with her at all times while she was in our custody," Doll said. A matron is a law enforcement official who works with women held in custody. "She was wearing a tank top, and she had the headscarf when she was interviewed."

The headscarf later was taken from her after she made suicide threats, he said.

A sobbing Hadid appeared without the headscarf at the Bridgeview courthouse Tuesday and is being held without bail at the Cermak Medical Center at the Cook County Jail, where she remains on suicide watch.

Police have said her husband's possible involvement in Bhia's death still is under investigation.

Nour Hadid's attorney, Frank Celani, said he hopes to speak with her today about the mug shot.

Respecting the accused

Islamic advocacy groups seem wary of taking up Hadid's cause.

Spokesmen for the Council on Islamic American Relations, the Islamic Society of North America and the Bridgeview Mosque Foundation all declined to comment Thursday.

But Dr. Mohammed Sahloul, chairman of the Council of Islamic Organizations of Chicago, said that while police should follow the usual procedures with all defendants, "they should respect the modesty of the accused."

Sahloul, who made it clear he was not aware of the Hadid case and was speaking in general terms about the hijab, pointed out that Muslim women are allowed to wear hijabs in photos for their state IDs.

"If it's for the purposes of identification and they cover in public, then that's going to be more effective in identifying them anyway," he said.

Former chairman Kareem Irfan said, "It's particularly humiliating because she appears to be in her underwear.

"I don't condone what she's alleged to have done.

"But if it was a nun accused of these crimes, would they treat her the same way?"

Kim Janssen can be reached at or (708) 633-5998.

There should be pictures of the women with and without wearing their Hijab [headscarf]. I don't see why she was in a tank top for the photo. Exce[t I can only think they were checking for bruises on her thinking she may use the excuse of being a victim of beatings from her husband so they wanted to be sure. Most women claim or rather their lawyers claim it's due to postpartum or abuse from the spouse that made them do it. Well she can't claim postpartum so using the husband as the excuse or reason would most likely be hers. Either way her religion is no excuse to sue the police for taking the picture and the media is responsible for it going public. Also her religion is no excuse to not take the picture without wearing the headscarf and I agree with both Doubting Thomas and Bof of QF.

I wonder if she had murdered her nephew [a male]of the same age would he be an uncaring fucknut about the murder of an innocent, defenseless child then. My guess would be no he wouldn't care as much about a child as he does about the religious dressing of his property. A male child would concern him more than a female child that is just as sick as placing religious clothing above the murder of any child male or female. I hope this fucknut doesn't get any help from any Islamic foundation/society/mosque. He lives on American soil then he and his wife must obey the laws of the land just like everyone else.

Hypatia
Islamic advocacy groups seem wary of taking up Hadid's cause.

Spokesmen for the Council on Islamic American Relations, the Islamic Society of North America and the Bridgeview Mosque Foundation all declined to comment Thursday.

But Dr. Mohammed Sahloul, chairman of the Council of Islamic Organizations of Chicago, said that while police should follow the usual procedures with all defendants, "they should respect the modesty of the accused."

Sahloul, who made it clear he was not aware of the Hadid case and was speaking in general terms about the hijab, pointed out that Muslim women are allowed to wear hijabs in photos for their state IDs.

"If it's for the purposes of identification and they cover in public, then that's going to be more effective in identifying them anyway," he said.

Former chairman Kareem Irfan said, "It's particularly humiliating because she appears to be in her underwear.

"I don't condone what she's alleged to have done.

"But if it was a nun accused of these crimes, would they treat her the same way?"

I understand that to this woman this was a foreign, offensive and perhaps frightening way for her mugshot to be taken. But in reality she wasn't in her underwear - she really wouldn't like the way that feels if it did happen - and her modesty was respected to the fullest extent it realistically could be, simply because that is our system here.

When a person commits a crime, or is suspected of or is charged with committing a crime, there is the risk that their mugshot will be made public. That's another thing that comes with living in this country.

All things considered in this story, I think for either the husband or wife to be more concerned about her modesty when she was still wearing clothing than they seemed to be (as reported, anyway) about the murder of their niece, because of their religious beliefs (or any reason) is very disturbing.
Edited by Hypatia on 04/12/2009 01:08

Sinny
Exactly Hypatia. And they shouldn't blame the police but if they do want to place blame they should blame the wife who admitted to committing the crime of murdering their 2 year old neice. That's where the blame really belongs. Had she not committed the crime or even confessed to it then she never would have been arrested in the first place. If she is found not guilty the police still aren't responsible for the picture becoming public. She is an adult and the media has a right to freedom of the press. It's not like what used to be done to rape victims years ago. They would take pictures of the rape victim and pass them out to the Jury for all to see her when parts of her body were naked...now that is violating the victim all over again. This woman in this article wasn't violated in any way, shape or form. If we lived in their Country we would have to live by their laws so it should be the same for them here.

Skeeve
Caving in and allowing the stupid hijab in government IDs was the stupidest thing they've done.

If the rest of the country has to remove their headgear to take a picture, so should they. If they refuse, then fuck em, and they don't get an ID...no driving and no opening bank accounts. They want their religion respected yet don't want to respect the law of the land that has been in place for years.

"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Hypatia
I agree Skeeve. They should have to abide by the same rules and laws the rest of us have to.

Here where I live there are signs posted at the doors of banks and other financial institutions warning people that they must remove hats, hoods and all eye wear that isn't prescription before entering the bank. I don't know if there are exceptions made for women wearing the hijab, but if so that not only isn't that fair because more is expected of others, but it's very much a safety issue. There must be exceptions made for them though, as I haven't been hearing about Muslim women and men having fits because the women are forced to go into banks in 'their under wear'. :rol: And, again, there are people who are arrested in their under wear - this woman doesn't know what that feels like. But considering she's a murder suspect (and has admitted to the crime), that could possibly be arranged. :angry5: lol.

Anyone could wear a hijab for the purpose of disguising themselves when that is their only purpose and they aren't even Muslim.

These are all reasons why we should all be under the same rules and laws in our country.
Edited by Hypatia on 04/12/2009 15:58

catman
Same here, Hypatia. I can't wear sunglasses or a hat into my bank. The Muslims seem to think that their religion gives them the right to very special treatment which could endanger the rest of us. If neilmarr were still here, he could tell you all about the Sharia Law debate in Britain. But that's another, although related, story. Sigh.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
neilmarr... sniff...

I wish he'd come back and tell us more about it... and other stuff.

And willie *sniff* too...
Edited by Hypatia on 04/12/2009 17:45

catman
I agree completely. Their leaving was a great loss. I still don't understand why the disagreement between them resulted in such drastic action. But it's done.Sad

Speaking of MIAs, what happened to seeker?
Edited by catman on 04/13/2009 00:20
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Skeeve
catman wrote:
I agree completely. Their leaving was a great loss. I still don't understand why the disagreement between them resulted in such drastic action. But it's done.Sad

Speaking of MIAs, what happened to seeker?

I'll say one thing to help alleviate any discomfort...be assured that the before mentioned keep up with our activities. If anything "important" were to happen, I suspect we'd hear from them.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Doubting Thomas
I don't know because I've never read the Koran, but I read that there's nothing in it saying that women have to be completely covered. I think it's probably just one of those things they know Allah wants them to do, kind of like how in certain sects of Christianity the women aren't allowed to cut their hair or wear pants, always dresses.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Jump to Forum: