View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Big news
Doubting Thomas
I just wanted to share with everyone some big news in my life. After 9 years of marriage, I am finally going to be a dad. We are pretty excited, and for a while I didn't think we would ever have any kids. But Sunday my wife took a pregnancy test and there were two lines instead of just one. So it looks like my life is changing from here on. I really am looking forward to being a dad. It's still hard to believe that it's finally happening to us.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Cynic
Hey, congratulations DT!

General-Pryce
Thats amazing DT, congratulations!

cheshiredragon
I thought you were already a dad. Or was he from your wife's previous marriage? OH well, wither way, GRATZ! Jenner's birth was so messed up(Preemie @ 28wks) that I went and prevented myself from ever having kids again so that I don't have to go through with that shite EVER AGAIN!

I wish all the best and good health to your wife and unborn child.
IF I may make a few suggestions. When Amanda was preg, I only let her drink Milk, Water and OJ and had her take prenatal vitamins. The DRs and nurses said that was the reason why Jenner survived. Those prenatals made him really strong and healthy even though he was preemie.
That's right, I said it...

catman
DT: Congratulations. Just don't raise the child to be a creationist. Wink
Edited by catman on 04/28/2009 15:28
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Sinny
Wow's DT that is great news Grin

I sure hope your wife and yourself have an easy pregnancy and happy healty new baby. I hope this doesn't mean you will be seeing more of your MIL LOL. Oh well a new baby is worth putting up with a MIL more often. Somehow I picture you being a great Dad.

RayvenAlandria
Grats DT, this is awesome news!

Skeeve
Congratulations, DT!
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Doubting Thomas
Thanks all for the kind words. No, CD, we don't have any kids, just a few dogs.

Yes, I am already dreading future battles with my MIL over religion. I talked to Jeanette & she does want to teach our child about God. I said that she can do that if she wants, but I'm going to teach him/her my views as well. I know Jeanette still wants me to be religious again, but I explained to her it's like when you're a kid and you find out that Santa Claus was just a story made up by your parents, and you find it impossible to believe that he's a real person again.

I told her long ago that if we ever have kids I want them to make up their own minds when they're old enough rather than being brainwashed from birth. I just hope our baby gets some of my skeptical genes.
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 04/29/2009 16:23

leo
Congratulations.

cheshiredragon
OK, then I must have been thinking of someone else. I could have swore your wife was of Asian decent and had a son in his teens. What a creative mind I have heheh.

I don;t think your child will believe seeing as their is a skeptic. I am kind of in your same situation with out the "couple/married" aspect. My son's mother is non-practicing. I mean she listens to Lamb of God, Walls of Jericho, Emmure, Carcass and several other death metal bands, even my son will tell me to turn it up in the car when I am taking him to school(we are a weird group). HER parents are like your wife's parents. Always trying to cram it down our throats. They have backed off on me quite a bit, but they buy him Veggie Tale books and movies. He likes em , but he doesn't get the GOD message from them. I even read him the Veggie Tale books but, leave out the part about where "God tells us to blah, blah, blah" I just tell him "Patience is a good thing to have because blah blah blah" OR "Sharing is good because blah, blah, blah." I just leave out the God part at the end. He LOVES science shows. In fact he was watching The Universe with me a few nights ago and asked if our sun was going to explode like the one on TV. I about fell out of my chair that he made the connection and that he knew our sun is actually a star just really, really close. He has a choice too. if he grows up to be a Christian then, fine that is his choice. Seeing as how we have similar personalities, I am sure he will see through the BS and be a default Atheist, like myself. I have no worry that if you play the good father roll. You child will make the rational choice. Smile

leo
That would be me. My wife is from Thailand and has 18 year old son and daughters 8 and 21. My wife is a Buddhist and kids are Muslims.

Doubting Thomas
But anyway, I must say that I've been in a pretty good mood lately. I always thought about what it would be like to have a son or daughter, and now I get the chance to finally find out. I know having babies is nothing new, but it sure is to me. And I can't help but be a little scared thinking about the future.

Oh, BTW my MIL was looking up some website today that has some Chinese method of determining the sex of your baby based solely on the mother's age at the time of conception, and the date or some nonsense like that. The website claimed that it was "never wrong," even though my MIL put in her other daughter's info (who had a boy) and it said that she would have a girl. But she's always believing in stupid stuff like that. :rol:
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 04/29/2009 21:43

cheshiredragon
Kacir?
If you are Kacir then it is not you who I am thinking of, this person only had one son that was, I THINK, from the wife's previous marriage and all three of them are atheists. I know because I have seen pictures of them from years ago on the BIG A site. My memory fails as to what they were doing in those pictures though. I want to say out at a small gathering of some type BBQing or something.

leo
I am Kacir. I will have to fix the registration.

Doubting Thomas
Was it comfortable? I thought he has an Asian wife. Or maybe I'm thinking of the wrong person.

kacir
O.K. sorry for the confusion. Grin

Again, congrats DT

cheshiredragon
That's who it was...Comfortable. Where did he run off to I wonder?

no confusion, just wasn't sure.

Doubting Thomas
Lol... just got off the phone with my wife who had a dentist's appointment. The dental hygenist told her, "You're going to have a boy, I just have a feeling." It's so funny how people think they can determine the sex of your unborn baby through "feelings" or some kind of divination. The funny thing is that half of them will be right, and they'll claim that they knew all along or their method worked.

Bob of QF
Great News, Everybody!

Smile

I think you'll make an excellent father, DT.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Jump to Forum: