View Thread

Print Thread
Nathan Phelps tells all
Doubting Thomas
[url]http://natephelps.com/10801.html[/url]

As you may or may not have heard, Fred Phelps and his daughter Shirley Phelps-Roper have been banned entry into the UK (any way to ban them from the US?). Nathan Phelps, son of Fred, has a lengthy but very interesting article on what it was like to grow up under the rule of his apparently insane father. If you didn't think that Fred was nuts before reading this, you will after.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Skeeve
Helluva story.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
DT: Wow, that is a great read. Thanks for posting the link.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
It really shows the depths of Fred's hatred toward just about everybody and everything. I was always under the impression that one of the reasons they protest was to try to change people's minds, but it apparently is not the case. It looks like it's more of an in-your-face kind of superiority complex.

It's also interesting to see how Fred picked different passages from the bible and instead of using them as guidelines to live by, he took them as commands from God with an "or else" thrown in.

We can only hope that he kicks the bucket soon and his church disintegrates. Since the church is made up primarily of family members, if there's nobody to take his place then it should kind of dwindle away. I know his daughter Shirley is very outspoken and probably just as crazy as Fred is, but whether she can lead the church is debatable. I'm sure after Fred dies they will continue with the anti-gay protests, though.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
Yeah, I didn't realize they weren't looking for converts either. What a hateful bastard Fred is. His cult gives him a way to feel better than everyone else. Like a god.

Poor Nathan! He's pretty damn resilient to have made it through that upbringing at all.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
These idiots have been blown all out of proportion because they have taken advantage of the press to espouse these outlandish views and get a modicum of undeserved publicity for their tiny group of religious droolers.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
Their inexcusable protests at veterans' funerals did it. They're lucky they haven't been shot by now, but we aren't.

RayvenAlandria
I'm just waiting to see if Fred turns out to be serial killer. Maybe he has gay liaisons and then freaks out and kills the guys. He has the pathology.

Maybe they'll decide to drink some koolaid and go away. We can only hope.

Hypatia
Wow, what an amazing, powerful story.

I wonder if Kathy left again after she became an adult. I hope so. Good for Mark and Nathan.

No doubt most people don't know what the WBC is really all about either - too bad, because that would probably go a long way in taking all the wind out of their sails.

Jump to Forum: