View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Evolution
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
"Hobbits" were previously unknown species
Doubting Thomas
http://news.yahoo...siahobbits
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
I wonder why their brains would shrink. That is extremely weird. Maybe it had to do with their religious beliefs.Grin
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Skeeve
Adaptation. Reminds me of the birds of some island that were identical in every way with mainland birds of the same species except for their beaks. Their favorite food was found at the bottom of a deep flower, over time their beaks lengthened to make the flower more accessible.

I'm curious to know why insular dwarfiing shrank their brains, like the hippos mentioned in the article. What advantage would be gained, if any?
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

derF
Large brains consume large amounts of energy. And, as Mr. Spock said, "Size has very little to do with intelligence." In order to be able to live successfully on a small island they needed to be of a size that prevented them from exhausting the resources on the island. They were tool makers so they obviously had a fair amount of intelligence. Fascinating article if I may paraphrase Spock a bit more.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
Skeeve wrote:I'm curious to know why insular dwarfiing shrank their brains, like the hippos mentioned in the article. What advantage would be gained, if any?

That is the question I have. I know about adaptation in general, but when would a smaller brain be an advantage? Perhaps they didn't have any reason to be intelligent in their isolation, so it was a case of 'use it or lose it'.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
Apparently my posts are totally ignored around here anymore.

catman
derF: If you will notice, my post was only two minutes after yours, so there was no slight intended. Jesus H Christ.

Bob of QF
catman wrote:
Jesus H Christ.

Hey! I ran into him the other day.

He was mowing my neighbor's yard, actually. Along with his cousin, Manuel.

I asked him about it, and he said "Cash only."

He and his brothers and cousins usually hang out in front of Home Depot, when not mowing or cleaning pools...
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

derF
catman wrote:
derF: If you will notice, my post was only two minutes after yours, so there was no slight intended. Jesus H Christ.

Cat, you seem to misinterpret my attempts at humor as legitimate complaints. Obviously I need to spend a good deal more time polishing my humor or I have to refrain from attempts at humor all together.

catman
derF: There was nothing to indicate that you weren't serious. I thought you were throwing a hissy fit. It's difficult to recognize sarcasm unless unless it's sufficiently over the top, let alone sardonic remarks. My apologies for not reading your mind.Wink

Jump to Forum: