View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Going on a trip
RayvenAlandria
I will be driving cross country and won't be online much for the next couple of weeks. My eldest has gotten out of the Air Force and has taken a job with a defense contractor in Texas, so I am driving to South Carolina to load up his computers, TV's, and stuff he didn't want the movers taking, then we're headed to Texas. We'll stop off at my my parent's in Ft. Worth and then head to the Dallas area to find my son and his wife an apartment so they can get settled in before he starts work on the 8th. It's going to be hectic so I may not be online.

I'll see everyone soon. I'll try to find time to at least check in once in a while.

cheshiredragon
heck if they like I can show them around town and if YOU like, let me know when you going to be in town and what times, maybe it will match my schedule and I can take you all to a killer Mexican restaurant in Irving.
That's right, I said it...

RayvenAlandria
I'll let you know when we get there. He has to get an apartment and get ready for the new job but I assume we'll have some free time.

RayvenAlandria
We made it to Texas after a grueling 18 hour drive. I can barely move and will have to take a few days to recover.

CD, log in and go check your private thread, I left a reply for you there.

RayvenAlandria
CD and catman, I sent you PM's. Anyone else live in the DFW area?

catman
I just responded. Sounds good!
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

General-Pryce
I feel left out Sad

RayvenAlandria
Awwww. I would love to see you and your love as well GP. Hop on a plane and meet us at the local Starbucks, k?

General-Pryce
Personally I'm a Cafe Nero man Smile

RayvenAlandria
I've never heard of Cafe Nero. I would like a yummy cold coffee about right now.

Gawd, I am soooo sick of driving. I have driven from Tulsa to South Carolina, then to Texas, then back and forth about twenty times between here and Greenville, which is about 1 hour 40 minutes one way. We have a couple more loads to go and then we can concentrate on unpacking and decorating.

cheshiredragon
I'd just like to be able to find the time to escape work for a few weeks. Even if it was moving and driving all over. My lease is up in 6mo too. I should start considering a new place. Needs to be near where I am though cause of work.
I was complaining to my roomie about my issue last night. She is the only one who knows and she suggested I get a dog. I should look for a house instead cause a puppy sounds like a really good idea right about now.
That's right, I said it...

catman
I wish I could go on a trip too. I used to go to New Mexico on my motorcycle every year. I know it did my head a lot of good just to get away from the Metromess. But I'm making less now, and it doesn't go as far. I just can't afford to get away, although I may do it anyway.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
Since we have to go to Phoenix in December for me to go to the hospital we've decided to make something pleasant out of it at the same time. So what we're going to do is take the train from Albq. to Flagstaff and then rent a car to drive to Phoenix. We'll just get regular seats on the train for that part.

Then when we leave Phoenix we'll take the car back to Flagstaff and get a sleeper compartment on the train and take it to L..A. I have family in Los Angeles and hopefully we can spend a little time with them. Then we'll take the train back to Albq., again with a sleeper compartment.

It doesn't sound like much of a trip, but my husband has never been on a train, and since we can't afford any more of a trip than that right now it will at least be better than nothing. We figure since we'll already have to have someone staying to watch the house and take care of the animals we may as well go ahead and do the rest - it's just a couple of days more added on to however long I'll be in the hospital.

On the train meals are included with the price of the sleeper compartment, and the fare for two people beats the heck out of what it would cost for one round-trip plane fare - not to mention there's sooo much more leg room, room to get up and move around, and the scenery is much better. Plus the fact that my husband will not fly.
Edited by Hypatia on 06/05/2009 00:36

catman
I love traveling by train. It just seems so cool to roll in a hotel on wheels, with a dining car and a club car. Much preferable to flying these days.

Hypatia
I always sleep so well on trains. Walking is pretty challenging, lol, but sleeping is great, with that rocking motion and the sounds.

It's cool that the conductor or the porters have games for passengers, with prizes for the winners, like drinks or snacks - just for the fun and interest of it. One time one of the games they played was to see who had the oldest date on their pennies.

RayvenAlandria
I'd like to take a train trip someday, I've heard they are actually great fun. I hope y'all have a good trip.

Catman, CD and his son, and my youngest son and I got together for dinner. It was great to meet them. At first I was afraid we might lose catman. Turns out the Friday's we were planning to meet at was closed down and all I had was his home number. I went the wrong way and didn't see Friday's so I pulled into a Chili's and called CD. He was down at the Friday's. He drove down to find the Chili's and then back to Friday's to wait for catman to show up. Once catman arrived they drove back to the Chili's. (it was just down the road). Our waiter wasn't that good but chatting with guys was great fun. That made up for the bad service.

I took a few pictures but I have to get an adapter so I can upload them to the computer. I'll post them later.

Now, off to my eldest son's. We'll hang out there a few days and then head back to Tulsa.

catman
Yes, I had a great time, once I found CD sitting in his car in the parking lot of what was once Friday's and found out what was going on! Thanks, CD. Great meeting you, Rayven. I almost dread those photos.Wink The food was great, although the service was less than stellar. But it was worth it! I hope we can do it again.

Hypatia: i don't remember the porters having games for the passengers, but the only train trip I've taken was from San Antonio to Ft Worth. It was very slow (7 hours to go 275 miles or so; lots of stops in other towns), but I didn't care. The club car with its gin & tonics helped the time pass.

Hypatia
Glad to hear you all managed to find one another, what with Friday's being closed down, find a place with good food, and most of all that you had such a great time together - that's awesome.

Cat - Perhaps the games are something certain conductors and/or porters like to do on certain trains - maybe their own personal touch to the trips. I know the crews on the Southwest Chief like to play them, and I think the crews on whatever the name of the train I've taken from Portland, OR to L.A. to catch the SWC to NM did them when I took that one once.

catman
Hypatia: That sounds likely. When I was a kid back in the 1950s, and passenger trains were still a big deal, I dreamed of going through the Rocky Mountains in one of those observation cars they used to have which had a raised section, giving a 360-degree view (a sort of flat-topped dome). But that all ended before I had the chance. No more Santa Fe Railroad 'Super Chiefs'. Amtrak is a pale shadow of what passenger train service used to be. But it's a lot better than nothing!

RayvenAlandria
catman was taller than I expected. It is weird how people look different or sound different from what you imagine. For some reason I always imagined him as shorter than he is.

I have questions about the pictures. I know CD and Catman have posted pics online before but I want to know if it's okay to post these, especially the ones of Jenner. Richard, do you want me to post Jenner's pictures or keep them private?

Jump to Forum: