View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Seeking Seeker
derF
Haven't had a post from Seeker in two months. Does anyone know anything about him? Is he OK? Is he coming back? Hope he is OK. I have had my differences with the man but I always respected his knowledge and opinion. Can anyone out there give me an update?
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

RayvenAlandria
I have been wondering for a long time where he went. I have no clue, he just vanished. I keep hoping he'll log in but I haven't seen him do so.

Doubting Thomas
He'll probably be back, or at least I hope he will. On the old boards, he would disappear for a while only to return for a while.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
That's true, but it's really been a long absence this time. I hope he comes back.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
I sure do miss him. It jut isn't the same without him (though it isn't the same if any of us isn't here for a long period of time).

Hopefully he's only off having interesting verbal spars with xtians somewhere, thinking of us from time to time and will be back again almost anytime now...

I sure do miss Photon, NeilMarr, willie, Nails (even though he stops by now and then - not often enough!), and others who have registered but don't grace us with their presence.

There are others here who mean more to them than I do, no doubt, but still, I miss seeing them here anyway.

Sinny
I have been wondering the same thing for a long time now. Patia you named some others I too have been missing for a long time now. It would be nice if they stopped in at least once in a while or came and really did a rebel rousing here.

cheshiredragon
I don't know what happened to the others, but I have spoken with Seeker a few times in email. Last email I received was on 2009/2/17 and this was his reply to me asking him to come back to the site:
"I'm taking a break from the site, just a little too much drama these days. I'll still be around just not posting much."

So, I am not sure if he forgot about us, is bored or simply not online much. i go through phases where i don't want to be on a computer except for at work. Shocking right? Usually happens during the Summer months. Swimming, BBQs and all that good stuff.
That's right, I said it...

Hypatia
Many of us have, each for our own reasons/needs, taken a break(s) from the forums, or the computer, and I too am likely to be doing other things in warmer months. That's common for others too I think.

But yeah, we miss people when they aren't around for a while anyway - regardless of why.

cheshiredragon
Yeah, this site has seen too many people disappear. I don't know why either. I have scoured the net for other atheist sites that have forums and rich content, but only like 6 members or a board that hadn't been used in years. Yet, you can pull up any Christian forums site and there are thousands registered and hundreds if not THOUSANDS online at once. I find it truly mind boggling. I understand that, just like a TV, there is an aspect ratio(4:3 or the now more common wide screen 16:9, 16:10) What is the ratio of religious to non-religious? 10:1? 20:1? 100:1? There HAS to be more atheists out there. Just HAS to be. Seriously, single atheist girls my age are more elusive than any god ever dreamed up. Similar to a Unicorn, Leprechaun, or Iraq's weapons of mass destruction.

Mark: C'mon Doc, let's go bag us an atheist girl!

Doc: What is this "atheist...girl" you speak of?

Mark: They are uhhh, they look like uhhh, hmmmm...

Doc: Well?

Mark: Don't really know, haven't found one yet.

I am a bit bitter, if you cant tell.

Now, I have that old 80s song stuck in my head. I want to say it is by REO SpeedWagon, but i could be wrong. I think the song is called "Baby come back."
Edited by cheshiredragon on 06/03/2009 22:02

RayvenAlandria
I think it has to do with the differences in personality between theists and non-theists. Atheist sites will always be smaller than religious sites simple because atheists don't need reassurance that they are right. Non theists tend to be more independent and don't need social approval the way religious people do. (There's a reason we call them sheeple.) Since atheists are usually, (not always, but usually), more independent they are more likely to take breaks from online sites.

In fact, many atheists are happy with a small network of social contacts and have no need or desire for online social outlets at all. I know many, many atheists, agnostics, and *don't really give religion much thought* type folk who would never think of joining a forum. They have no need for such things. For some atheists it isn't important to them to find other non-religious people to talk with, or they have a small social group they hang out with and that's plenty for them.

This of course makes it hard for single non-religious people to find each other. Even if you do see someone wearing an atheist or anti-religious tee shirt, it's kind of awkward to walk up and start trying to get to know them.

derF
Very well said, Rayven. I think you are pretty close to the reality of being an atheist. We need no reassuring to believe in something since we only believe in ourselves. Religious folks probably deep down realize that they are standing on pretty thin ice and require the strength of their numbers in order to maintain their belief that they are in the game for eternity. We have no need of the support of others since we already realize that all there is for us is the here and now and the sadly few years allotted to us.

That being said, I am still slightly mystified as to why there are not more people who post regularly on this and other similar forums. Is there something more to atheism than not believing in an all powerful sky daddy? Could it be that there are a lot of atheists out there that are actually independent, private and, ultimately unsociable because of the stigma that their beliefs have on the rest of society?

I know that when we were atheists.com we accumulated a large number of members and at that time we had no moderators and everyone was free to espouse their ideas without censor. But since we have reinvented the site a number of times and introduced "Administrators" our numbers have declined. (the administrators never really policed the sight in an unfair way but their very presence is not acceptable to my or many other atheists way of thinking) I think that if we went back to the totally free and self regulated forum we had in the original site that we would attract more of our kind and that more of the disgruntled would return.

Of course that is just my opinion but I really think it has some validity. It seems I have morphed a thread that I myself initiated. Sigh.

catman
This may or may not be related to the topic, but I think it could be. I've noticed that a high percentage of atheists are fond of cats. Cats can't be herded and aren't pack animals, like most canines or "sheeple". We appreciate independent bahavior. Just a thought.Wink

I think one big reason we don't have lots of traffic like the old site did is because atheists.com was so intuitive. I mean, I found that site just by wondering if there was an "atheists.com" and typing it in! "AtheistsToday" doesn't have that sort of simplicity. You'll notice that the moderators don't do a helluva lot of moderating, so I doubt that's it. We aren't getting fundies here like we did there either, which made the old site more combative...fun sometimes and not others. But it did bring in warm bodies.
Edited by catman on 06/04/2009 03:04
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

RayvenAlandria
That's the same way I found Atheist.com catman! I was curious if there was one and there it was. I'm sure that's precisely why those Turkish assholes took the name and shut it down.

derF, I think part of the reason the old site was larger was because back then there were very few atheist sites and because, like catman pointed out, it was easy to type atheist.com and have it pop up. These days there are tons of atheist and non religious sites, people get attached to one and don't bother posting at others.

I do think there is a large percentage of people who don't care enough to post at atheist sites. They may be atheist or non-religious but it's not a big issue in their lives and they spend time doing other things. Take my eldest for example, he's a strong atheist but has no desire to post at atheist sites. He goes to computer sites, geeky sites, game sites, etc... but could care less about discussing religious issues so he doesn't post here. I know more people like him than I do people like me.

catman
Rayven: My younger brother is the same way as your eldest about atheism. he simply doesn't like to post. I think he used to, but got burned out years ago. I talked him into registering at the old site, but he only posted once.

cheshiredragon
Hmmm, it does make sense. I do see a lot of that reassuring thing that Christians do. Like they don't know their own god exists or something. Although we are not a big site, there is not a lot of "atheist" chat. It is almost like an online coffee circle. Just a few people talking about whatever. I see what catman's brother is talking about though. I feel the same way. 5 years ago I found the BIG A. Before that I had no idea what an atheist was. Now that I have delved into it and learned all about what it is and did some atheistic tasks such as debating with Christians and I am done. I know my beliefs, I know where I stand. I am an atheist and that is final. The only reason to ever talk about it is if someone brings it up in conversation. Not like I walk around telling everyone i am pro-choice, or that I don't vote, or something else that is just not mentioned in everyday conversation. That is how i see atheism now. No need to talk about it. I know that I don't believe so why should I have to stress my non-belief the same way a Christian stresses their beliefs?

EDIT: My bad, it has been 4 yrs. It was May of 05. Seems like not a long time, but so much has happened in that time. HEH, almost seems like more has gone on in the last 4-5yrs of my life than since I was born.
Edited by cheshiredragon on 06/04/2009 19:19

derF
We should change our name to Atheist.com that hasn't been taken.

catman
Maybe we can figure out a way to coagulate into one gigantic Atheist.Grin

CD: You're right, we don't talk much about Atheism; once you decide you're an Atheist, there isn't much that needs saying. But we do look at events in an Atheist way, and our "coffee club" talks about them, pointing out the most reprehensible and absurd variants of theism and the actions which are based on it.
Edited by catman on 06/07/2009 22:38

derF
Atheist.com would get a lot more hits.

catman
derF wrote:Atheist.com would get a lot more hits.

I imagine that it would at that. I'm surprised it hasn't been used yet.

Hypatia
It would be great to get more traffic to the site - it certainly is in need of it.

More atheists and freethinkers in the coffee shop are always welcome, and even theist visitors can be a good thing. Grant it, there are few who are interested in actual discussion or debate about belief and faith, but it does occasionally happen.

Jump to Forum: