View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » U.S. Politics
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Dumbing Down of Republicans
derF
The brainlessness of the republican party hurt it in the last election and will hurt it in the future. John Stewart Mill once dismissed the British conservative party as stupid. Now the title of the stupid party belongs to the Torrie's transatlantic cousins, the Republicans.
The party was defeated, partly, because it lost the battle for brains. Barack Obama won the votes of college graduates by two points, voters with post graduate degrees by eighteen points. John McCain did best among uneducated voters in Appalachia and the south. The Republicans lost the battle of ideas. Marching into the election with nothing more than slogans. Energy? “Just drill, baby, drill!” During the primary debates three out of ten Republican candidates admitted that they didn’t believe in evolution.
From 1980 onwards conservative intelligentsia helped to craft a message that resonated with working class democrats and provided the party with a sweeping policy agenda. Now the party's loss of brains leaves it rudderless. This anti intellectual turn is devastating for its future. The American population is becoming more educated. More than a quarter of Americans now have university degrees. The Republican party's current red neck strategy leaves it appealing to a shrinking and backwards looking portion of the electorate.
Why is this happening? Lower income conservatives are consumed with elemental fury about everything. They take advice from Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity and Mike Savage. They regard Sarah Palin’s ignorance not as a problem but as a badge of honor. The conservative intelligentsia is degenerating with little to say about global warming and Iraq. They instead focus on xenophobia, homophobia and opposing stem cell research. How likely is it that the Republican party will come to its senses? The odds of an imminent renaissance look long. Many conservatives continue to think they lost because they were not conservative or populist enough.
Richard Weaver, one of the founders of modern conservatism once wrote a book titled ‘Ideas Have Consequences’. Unfortunately, too many Republicans are still refusing to acknowledge that idiocy has consequences too.

Plagiarized shamelessly from The Economist Online.
Edited by derF on 06/10/2009 02:04
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Bob of QF
Not bad. I got nothing substantial to add or detract from what you said.

Smile
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
derF: Good post/plagiarization. I must add that it's Tories (not Torries) and John Stuart Mill (not Stewart), but those niggles don't detract from the argument of the piece. The Republicans have lost whatever attraction they once had for all but the most head-in-the-sand voter.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
derF - I quite like this post, and quite agree at that.

cheshiredragon
I am not much into politics and barely understood what your article was about. I don't think there is a "dumbing" down of the Republican party. I remember it starting(or continuing) with Nancy Reagan saying, "Just say NO!" I think I heard that phrase for the first time when i was in 6th grade(1992-ish)(If anyone remembers DARE, then you are 28 or younger) That was the slogan for the first shirt. "JUST SAY, NO!" I though about that for a few minutes and at 12yrs old realized, "Well, it is easy for her to say, "NO!" I don't think Johnny the Coke Dealer is going to skip across the White House lawn and offer Mrs. Reagan an 8-ball." I don't think they became dumb, I think they were already there.
That's right, I said it...

Hypatia
CD wrote:
I don't think they became dumb, I think they were already there.

Heh.

Hehheh. Heh heh heh. Heh heh heh heh heh heh. [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/gigglesmile.gif[/img] is not a valid Image. [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/oath.png[/img] is not a valid Image. Heh. [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/oath.png[/img] is not a valid Image.

catman
"Johnny the Coke Dealer"!:lol:
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
catman wrote:
derF: Good post/plagiarization. I must add that it's Tories (not Torries) and John Stuart Mill (not Stewart), but those niggles don't detract from the argument of the piece. The Republicans have lost whatever attraction they once had for all but the most head-in-the-sand voter.

They are truly in the worst political situation they have found themselves in more than four generations.
Edited by derF on 06/12/2009 02:50
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Hypatia
CD wrote:
I am not much into politics and barely understood what your article was about.

This is one of the ways we learn, Grasshopper.

(If anyone remembers DARE, then you are 28 or younger)

I remember DARE, and I'm not younger than 28 - but gee, thanks! lol! Wink

Grin

Sinny
Derf I agree and I'd like to say that the American Public [John & Jane Doe Public] really are more educated today. Plus we come in all shapes, sizes, naitonality, etc which the Democrats recognise and acknowledge as well as willing accept without having to think twice.

Republicans screwed themselves when they favored one type of John & Jane Doe public otherwise know as John Q. Public. That one type being the 'christians'. The were this way before Bush Jr. but became much worse when he got in which was ony because of the pure basic fear of torrorism from 9/11 which we all know was religous. Not a religious way my ass. I don't have to be religious or christian to see that. It set off a psychological bomb of fear monguering that the Republicans took a free ride on. I think if Edwards didn't have to drop out of the race he would have become President. But then the christians would have wanted to lynch him for adultery so they would have been in the crapper again but at least they'd have one President left in office after chimp bush.

CD :lol: and yes they were always dumb all along it just took a long ass time for the majority to see it.

Oh and not to scare you all but I did see on one of those morning shows, which I never watch until recently, I taped 2 just for fun, our good friend Sara Palin is at it again. I couldn't get the video to post her but found an article. On the program they said she had some 20,000 followers so far.

Here's the article:

http://www.cnn.co.../pm.palin/
Edited by Sinny on 06/12/2009 20:35

Hypatia
The kind of dumb Palin is can't be fixed enough to make her presidential material.

Even with all the goddie voters out there I'm certain enough of American voters are way too savvy to vote that kind of dumb for president.

Sinny
Hypatia wrote:
The kind of dumb Palin is can't be fixed enough to make her presidential material.

Even with all the goddie voters out there I'm certain enough of American voters are way too savvy to vote that kind of dumb for president.

Oh sweetie that's what I thought about George Bush Frown

Bob of QF
Sinny wrote:
Oh sweetie that's what I thought about George Bush Frown

Yeah, me too-- especially in 2004.....after all the MESS he was deliberately responsible for, too...!

catman
CD: I remember DARE, and I'm 62!

I regard Sarah Palin as a cynical ploy by the Republicans to try to get part of the vote which they expected Hillary to get, since it appeared that the latter would be the Democratic presidential candidate. I consider it to have been very insulting to women, as if they couldn't tell the difference between Hillary and Palin politically and IQ-wise.

Hypatia
Bob and Sinny - you're both quite right about that, but look at how the country ended up feeling about him, how ready we were to see him go and how ready we were for some brains in the white house for a change.

But on the other hand, it's true we Americans do have a track record for forgetting even hard learned lessons rather quickly. We know better than to hope we could, even for once, remember a lesson seemingly well learned.

I fully agree with you Catman - we showed that not only could we tell the difference, but that we've had enough of politicians pulling that crap on us.

Could we, as a nation, possibly continue to do that - especially if Palin were to make significant headway closer to the next election?

JohnH
Bob, I have to say that I too in 2004 thought how could this idiot be reelected. Then Kerry's pathetic campaign from saluting at the convention to his unwillingness to very directly confront the so called Swift Boat Veterans sort of let Bush back in. It can be argued, and somewhat convincingly, that Ohio was stolen like Florida in 2000 but I do not think either of those cases will ever be completely proven. The unfortunate use by 60 Minutes of faked documents regarding Bush's military service did much to help Bush also. Too bad, considering anyone who was in the reserves at that time knew he was ducking service in Vietnam and no fake documents were required to prove that. Not to mention he was AWOL for a good portion of it, all known from other sources.

derF, The article you stole from was I think right on the money. The republicans have decided that they cannot win on logic or thought but only by appealing to the most simple ideas of what they perceive as their base. I frankly think that the end result will be that more thoughtful members of their party will be driven to third parties like the Libertarians or will cease to vote. As an avowed anarcho-syndicalist it may be hard to understand but I frankly fear democratic party hegemony as much or more than I might fear republican party hegemony. The lack of ideas from republicans could lead to a long time control of most of the nation by the democratic party. With some exception (personal freedom for one) that could be difficult for all of us.

Bob of QF
I agree, JohnH, with regards to long-term democratic control of the country: not good.

ANY long-term control by ANY party would qualify, in my opinion.

I think the back-and-forth, give-and-take is a requirement to help reduce corruption.

Anytime a party starts "sitting pretty" they start looking for other things to occupy their energies-- usually it falls to making money for themselves by whatever means they can.

Having a strong rival at least keeps their focus, somewhat.

As you may or may not have surmised, I'm registered Democrat solely because of my states idiotic primary system.

The Libertarian party does not have a presence in my state to speak of, and they are often too "whack" anyway. But they are the closest to my personal philosophies and goals.

Except, that I recognize that government is useful for certain things: regulating of the standards is one. Giving us uniform code of justice is another (yes, I realize the irony in that one....the intention is sound, though). Regulating and arbitrating disputes between states is yet another. These are aside from the obvious: defending our borders (no, not from illegal aliens, but from actual threats-- I'm one of those open the borders sorts-- may as well, it's the de-facto condition anyway.)

And, finally, it is USEFUL to collect taxes and build projects individuals or even individual companies cannot build on their own-- too massive, too big, too....too.

*sigh*

Jump to Forum: