View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » U.S. Politics
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
And Here Goes Another One!
Hypatia
South Carolina Gov. (R) Mark Sandford has returned from a seven day 'mystery' absence, announcing he, like Senator Ensign, has been unfaithful to his wife:

http://news.yahoo...rnor_where

"I've let down a lot of people, that's the bottom line," the 49-year-old governor said at a news conference where he choked up as he ruminated with remarkable frankness on God's law, moral absolutes and following one's heart. His family did not attend.

The woman, who lives in Argentina, has been a "dear, dear friend" for about eight years but, Sanford said, the relationship didn't become romantic until a little over a year ago. He's seen her three times since then, and his wife found out about it five months ago.

Yeah, I'm pretty fed up with christians saying they don't want non-theists in office. They can't even trust each other, but yet they choose to judge non-theists by misconceptions they know are self-chosen misconceptions.

Lol. That wasn't exactly my first thought when I first heard about Sanford being 'gone, and unavailable', and now that he's had an affair, but it's kind of my 'end' thought.

RayvenAlandria
You beat me to it. I was about to post this.

When I heard he was missing my first thought was that he was with a mistress. The *upstanding* conservatives in public service seem to be in the habit of leading double lives. I admit I get a bit of twisted pleasure watching the hypocrites fall flat.

derF
This guy is just the latest example of GOP riff raff believing, after an eight year run of being the permanent majority, that they are above reprimand. They believed that they were in control and unassailable and have yet to discover that they are approaching solid ground on their suicidal nose dive out of popularity.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Bob of QF
I see it as just another FINE example of the sort of VALUES the rethuglican party is really behind.

Family Values indeed: divorce, infidelity, multiple-marriages, abuse....

Too bad Joe Sixpack cannot make the connection....

*sigh*
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

sin
Rethuglican party Rofl

If they didn't have a phony smug moral superior attitude over the Democrats they might actually get away with not being seen as being the hypocrites they are. I normally don't give a rats ass if an elected official screws up his marriage, lies to his wife and children because I think it's a private family matter. But the truth is they are so smug with everyone else and pull superiority and high moral bullshit ground with the public they deserve be outcast for their own behavior.

On the other hand this is America and in America we don't approve of multiple partners or screwing around on one's spouse. It's hurtful and deceitful and if they can't be honest and faithful to their own family then how can anyone hope to think they will be with the public who trusted them to be responsible and worth voting for. The thing that gets me is how some of the wives will actually stay with the cheating husband in the interest of conning the public into thinking well it's ok she forgives so he can be trusted after all. Not that anyone really trusts any politician completely but to some extend we do in some areas. When they go against our own culture they IMO deserve an ass kicking.

derF
The problem here is that the Republicans unabashedly brown nose corporate America and feed voraciously on the detritus created by them. They have no problem being manipulated by big business as long as it fluffs their nests to some extent. The democrats are slowly warming to that reality and not a few of them are keeping themselves in office by sucking up to those who will finance their campaigns. As I have said over and over again, that greed is the the most serious, overriding problem facing America. It has destroyed every reign before it and it will almost assuredly destroy this one.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

sin
derF wrote:
The problem here is that the Republicans unabashedly brown nose corporate America and feed voraciously on the detritus created by them. They have no problem being manipulated by big business as long as it fluffs their nests to some extent. The democrats are slowly warming to that reality and not a few of them are keeping themselves in office by sucking up to those who will finance their campaigns. As I have said over and over again, that greed is the the most serious, overriding problem facing America. It has destroyed every reign before it and it will almost assuredly destroy this one.

Hate to say it.....Welcome to the christian nation Sad

Hypatia
Yep, greed. Definitely add that one to Bob's list.

Jump to Forum: