View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Somalia and North Korea
RayvenAlandria
What are your opinions on Somalia and North Korea?

I am worried that Al Queda is about to topple the government in Somalia. Since they lost control of Afghanistan they are looking for a new stronghold and I suspect Somalia is where they intend to start. The Somalian government has asked neighboring countries to send military troops to save them from the takeover but no one seems to want to help. What are your thoughts? Is the current Somalian government corrupt or are they worth saving? What do you think the US and allies should do. So far it seems they are turning a (mostly) blind eye and it's not making headline news. It seems to me that if we want to stomp out radical Islamic terrorists such as Al Queda we need to pay closer attention to Africa.

Also, what are your thoughts about the developing situation with North Korea? It looks to me like it's about to get rather dangerous. They seem to be trying to bait us into a war. What do you think is going to happen in the near future?

Doubting Thomas
I didn't know there was a government in Somalia. I thought it was still pretty much lawless like it was years ago when we sent in troops.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

RayvenAlandria
The US sent weapons today.

http://www.vancou...story.html

This is Jonathan Manthorpe, international affairs columnist for The Vancouver Sun, on Thursday June the 25th 2009.

The United States is sending weapons to the embattled interim government of Somalia amid mounting fears the Horn of Africa country will become the new haven for Al-Qaida terrorists.

The shipment of weapons to president Sheikh Sharif Ahmed has been approved by the United Nations Security Council, which imposed an arms embargo on Somalia to try to end the factional fighting that has plagued the country since the last government was ousted by rebels in 1991.

The arms will go primarily to the 4,300 members of the African Union force which is in Somalia to try to protect the government from Al Shabaab radical Islamists.

Al Shabaab currently controls most of southern Somalia and all of the capital Mogadishu except for a few blocks held by the African Union troops.

For some months there have been concerns that Al-Qaida was establishing bases in Somalia. Those concerns have heightened in recent weeks with reports of more and more Afghan and Pakistani Al-Qiada members arriving in Somalia as their sanctuaries at home come under increasing pressure from NATO and Pakistani forces.

Washington promoted the election late last year of Sheikh Sharif Ahmed, a former leader of the Islamist rebels, in the hope he could control Al Shabaab.

But in March Al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden denounced him in an audio tape and called on Al Shabaab to topple the government.

About half of the 550 members of the interim parliament have fled Somalia for neighbouring countries like Kenya and Djibouti, and last week the Security Minister and the chief of police were killed in suicide bombings.

President Ahmed called for military intervention from neighbouring countries to support his government. But neighbours have refused saying the presence of foreign troops without a proper mandate would worsen the situation.

Meanwhile Al Shabaab is applying the most brutal interpretations of Islamic law in the areas it controls. Today four young men each had a hand and afoot amputated in public after having been found guilty of robbery.

It's a mess of country, but yes, it has a government.

http://en.wikiped...ki/Somalia

On December 29, 2008, Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed announced before a united parliament in Baidoa his resignation as President of Somalia. In his speech, which was broadcast on national radio, Yusuf expressed regret at failing to end the country's seventeen year conflict as his government had mandated to do.[86] He also blamed the international community for its failure to support the government, and said that the speaker of parliament, Aden "Madobe" Mohamed, would succeed him in office per the charter of the Transitional Federal Government.[87] On January 31, 2009, Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed was elected as president at the Kempinski hotel in Djibouti.[88]

Former Prime Minister Nur Hassan Hussein of the Transitional Federal Government and Sharif Sheikh Ahmed signed a power sharing deal in Djibouti that was brokered by the United Nations. According to the deal, Ethiopian troops were to withdraw from Somalia, giving their bases to the transitional government, African Union (AU) peacekeepers and moderate Islamist groups led by the ARS. Following the Ethiopian withdrawal, the transitional government expanded its parliament to include the opposition and elected Sheikh Ahmed as its new president on January 31, 2009. Sheikh Ahmed then appointed Omar Abdirashid Ali Sharmarke, the son of slain former President Abdirashid Ali Sharmarke, as the nation's new Prime Minister.

Edited by RayvenAlandria on 06/25/2009 22:42

RayvenAlandria
found a cnn article as well

http://edition.cn...cnnSTCText

catman
The Somali government has controlled only a few blocks in the capital city for years. The power vacuum has been filled by anarchy with warlords and pirates for that time.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
It will be very difficult to install a decent government in Somalia. Most all of the honest educated folks have fled to more promising havens. Whats left is crime, corruption and ignorance. Poor building blocks for a better tomorrow.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
Unfortunately, it was mostly ignored and forgotten about by the rest of the world until the piracy started drawing attention to it. It seems to be the only gainful employment.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
Yes, Catman, allowing effluvia like Somalia to go untreated gives diseases such as Al Queda, the Taliban, pirates and arms dealers a place to proliferate.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
Quite so, derF. The place definitely needs an upgrade. The climate there is hideous even for that part of the world, by the way.
Edited by catman on 06/27/2009 03:37

Jump to Forum: