View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » Music Discussions
Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Michael Jackson dead.
Bob of QF
sin wrote:
Well Bob it might not have been your cup of tea but that doesn't mean her acting should be downgraded. Just because you don't like the show doesn't always mean blame the the actor. An actor can do a great/good job but the viewer may not like the program simply because it's not what interests them but why blame the actor. There are lots of programs/movies I've seen with really good actors but he program/movie sucked. I noticed you didn't choose other female actors to compare her to, interesting.


Take it or leave it...Ms Fawcett never impressed me with much of anything...just a pretty face for the majority of her career. Maybe after she lost her looks, she matured into an actual actor. That happens occasionally. I really don't know, except the few flicks I accidentally saw her in [late in her career] were....unimpressive (to be kind). That's just my opinion. Life's too short to watch every movie out there, especially themes/subjects I don't particularly care for. As I said, not my cuppa tea.


sin wrote:
As far as taking the non practicing catholics over the nutters who idolize and practically worship the Pope instead of the supposed god... Nope not me here's why they are still hypocrites and they still promote catholicism. Even the non practicing donate money and almost always send their children to the catholic church and sometimes School at least in the younger years. So they are just as bad only in a more quiet way in society....still they do participate in promoting, supporting it and keep it running for the next generation with their children and support. I know people who aren't practicing catholics yet they still donate money for one reason or another and still go through the usual communion, etc. with their kids.


You raise a very valid point: The social catholics do help enable the huge bloated pile of excrement that constitutes the Catholic Church. And that is the Big Picture.

I suppose I was looking at it from a personal, who would I rather interact with point of view.

That is? If I had to be friends with, or live next to, or work with a Catholic? I'd entirely prefer a social catholic over a fervent one...

For that matter? I assiduously try to avoid fervent anything... Grin
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
catman
Bob of QF wrote:Take it or leave it...Ms Fawcett never impressed me with much of anything...just a pretty face for the majority of her career. Maybe after she lost her looks, she matured into an actual actor. That happens occasionally.

That simply shows how difficult it is for a pretty-faced actor to be taken seriously as an actor. I'm not saying that you're necessarily doing that...I hope not. I thought she aged fairly well, actually.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
sin
catman wrote:
Bob of QF wrote:Take it or leave it...Ms Fawcett never impressed me with much of anything...just a pretty face for the majority of her career. Maybe after she lost her looks, she matured into an actual actor. That happens occasionally.

That simply shows how difficult it is for a pretty-faced actor to be taken seriously as an actor. I'm not saying that you're necessarily doing that...I hope not. I thought she aged fairly well, actually.


Actually it shows how difficult it is for the female actor not the male actor. There are bimbo male actors who get good credit and claimed to be good actors simply because they are men. To be honest that's what I see. It's like the 'women get old' vs. 'men get distinguished'. when the man matures and tries to change his acting he gets credit and respect but the woman is locked into her role of fluff doll simply because she still has female attributes....it's getting to where females have to change being female, not being born pretty, to get the same respect the men get. sheesh Bob you expect the woman to stay 20 forever especially when fighting for her life. Getting older doesn't improve or not improve one's ability to act and neither should looks except that women are automatically put into a certain category because of thier looks without ever considering the capability they may have. She had to fight to prove she could act simply because she's a woman.
Edited by sin on 06/28/2009 13:51
 
sin
Bob, I know what you meant about the Catholics and yeah I would choose the non practicing one for a neighbor over the nut job one any day. I just see in a little more detail because I'm fed up with them trying to be the #1 religion in the US and abroad. I'm fed up with phony hypcrites especially with the two main religions in the US. I see it different now where I didn't use to consider the non catholics are just as damaging.
 
Bob of QF
sin wrote:
catman wrote:
Bob of QF wrote:Take it or leave it...Ms Fawcett never impressed me with much of anything...just a pretty face for the majority of her career. Maybe after she lost her looks, she matured into an actual actor. That happens occasionally.

That simply shows how difficult it is for a pretty-faced actor to be taken seriously as an actor. I'm not saying that you're necessarily doing that...I hope not. I thought she aged fairly well, actually.


Actually it shows how difficult it is for the female actor not the male actor. There are bimbo male actors who get good credit and claimed to be good actors simply because they are men. To be honest that's what I see. It's like the 'women get old' vs. 'men get distinguished'. when the man matures and tries to change his acting he gets credit and respect but the woman is locked into her role of fluff doll simply because she still has female attributes....it's getting to where females have to change being female, not being born pretty, to get the same respect the men get. sheesh Bob you expect the woman to stay 20 forever especially when fighting for her life. Getting older doesn't improve or not improve one's ability to act and neither should looks except that women are automatically put into a certain category because of thier looks without ever considering the capability they may have. She had to fight to prove she could act simply because she's a woman.


*sigh*

You are reading WAY TOO MUCH into a comment about ONE, SINGLE hack-actress.

The films I saw her "act" (and I use the term generously) in were abominable.

Face it: if she had not been pretty, she *never* would've been cast in Charlie's Angelss. She certainly showed ZERO talent on that show....basically she was only there to fill out the clothing....

Contrast her with Kate Jackson, who actually COULD act.

Nothing you've said has convinced me Farrah was anything but an air-head. I'd seen her in fairly recent interviews, and she always came off as one of those new-age fluff sorts. Zero depth. Zero substance. Little or no personality.

I might be wrong. She may have been an 160 IQ. But the persona she projected into the world was that of the stereotypical dumb blonde, as far as I am aware.

In the final analysis, it hardly matters anyway: she's dead (Jim....I'm a doctor, not a necromancer)

And my personal opinion of a dead actor has about the same significance as that piece of gum you scraped off the bottom of your shoe last week...

...which is to say, none at all. Grin

As I said in my initial post? She's not my cuppa tea, never really was, in fact...
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
Bob of QF
sin wrote:
Bob, I know what you meant about the Catholics and yeah I would choose the non practicing one for a neighbor over the nut job one any day. I just see in a little more detail because I'm fed up with them trying to be the #1 religion in the US and abroad. I'm fed up with phony hypcrites especially with the two main religions in the US. I see it different now where I didn't use to consider the non catholics are just as damaging.


Fortunately? Last time I looked for statistics, the only place in the world that Catholicism is not on the wane, is in Africa....

...imagine that?

Even in their beloved homeland, Italy, it's loosing converts... (as far as I can find out....as I said, it's been a couple'a years since I dug into it.)
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
sin
Bob of QF wrote:
sin wrote:
catman wrote:
Bob of QF wrote:Take it or leave it...Ms Fawcett never impressed me with much of anything...just a pretty face for the majority of her career. Maybe after she lost her looks, she matured into an actual actor. That happens occasionally.

That simply shows how difficult it is for a pretty-faced actor to be taken seriously as an actor. I'm not saying that you're necessarily doing that...I hope not. I thought she aged fairly well, actually.


Actually it shows how difficult it is for the female actor not the male actor. There are bimbo male actors who get good credit and claimed to be good actors simply because they are men. To be honest that's what I see. It's like the 'women get old' vs. 'men get distinguished'. when the man matures and tries to change his acting he gets credit and respect but the woman is locked into her role of fluff doll simply because she still has female attributes....it's getting to where females have to change being female, not being born pretty, to get the same respect the men get. sheesh Bob you expect the woman to stay 20 forever especially when fighting for her life. Getting older doesn't improve or not improve one's ability to act and neither should looks except that women are automatically put into a certain category because of thier looks without ever considering the capability they may have. She had to fight to prove she could act simply because she's a woman.


*sigh*

You are reading WAY TOO MUCH into a comment about ONE, SINGLE hack-actress.

The films I saw her "act" (and I use the term generously) in were abominable.

Face it: if she had not been pretty, she *never* would've been cast in Charlie's Angelss. She certainly showed ZERO talent on that show....basically she was only there to fill out the clothing....

Contrast her with Kate Jackson, who actually COULD act.

Nothing you've said has convinced me Farrah was anything but an air-head. I'd seen her in fairly recent interviews, and she always came off as one of those new-age fluff sorts. Zero depth. Zero substance. Little or no personality.

I might be wrong. She may have been an 160 IQ. But the persona she projected into the world was that of the stereotypical dumb blonde, as far as I am aware.

In the final analysis, it hardly matters anyway: she's dead (Jim....I'm a doctor, not a necromancer)

And my personal opinion of a dead actor has about the same significance as that piece of gum you scraped off the bottom of your shoe last week...

...which is to say, none at all. Grin

As I said in my initial post? She's not my cuppa tea, never really was, in fact...


It's kewl Bob we just have a difference of opinion. I just find it interesting how women like Farrah who are good looking, blonde and have a good attitude get stereotypted. Funny thing is so many natural blondes dye their hair brunette and have thsame personality yet they are seen in whole different perspective based on hair color. Maybe if she had been a dark brunette or even dyed her hair black it would have made a difference. I didn't think Kate Jackson or Jaclyn Smith were any better or worse than Farrah. Eh we all have different taste and opinions. She's gone now and I much prefer to remember her strength and courage she had in the end with fight the cancer as much as she possibly humanly could. At least she hopefully woke up some people to the fact that rectal cancer is serious and nothing to be ashamed of so get the colonoscopy most people don't think to have done. You know Bob even when we disagree you still sometimes make me laugh Wink

Edit: typos and probably still more I missed *shrug*
Edited by sin on 06/28/2009 23:06
 
RayvenAlandria
You may remember her *strength* and all that BS, but I'll remember a whore who cheated on her husband (Majors) with his best friend (O'Neil) and who left with said lover and forced him to abandon his kids to go live with her. IMO, Farrah was just another Hollywood self centered piece of garbage. Her life was a sad soap opera and she made sure she was always the center of the universe. To be honest, I feel that her decision to video tape her battle with cancer was just another part of her obsession with being the center of attention.

Tatum and Redmond are severe addicts, that doesn't happen in a vacuum. Tatum didn't speak much to Ryan or Farrah until a year or so ago. There's good reason for that, they were lousy parents and O'Neil basically abandoned her for Farrah. Farrah and Ryan were garbage and their kids grew up to be fucked up in the head.

Sorry, but I won't buy into the whole "she was a saint and a hero" bullshit. I think it's just another PR campaign. It sucks that she had to get cancer and die, but all the hype is making sick at this point. I am so sick of all the mushy BS about her and Jackson that I can't even watch T.V. anymore. I'll be glad when it blows over and the News channels begin focusing on important issues like Iran, South Korea, Somalia, etc...
 
catman
I haven't seen all that much about her on TV. It's Michael Jackson who is being deified. Sure, Farrah was no "saint", I'm sure of that. But I'd rather hear about her than MJ...enough is enough. I'd like to hear more about Ed McMahon, to tell ya the truth; some funny clips of Johnny Carson with him would be fine with me.

Geez, now the media is even making a big deal out of Billy Mays, the TV "pitchman" who had the most annoying voice in the universe. Do we have to look that hard for celebrities? Perhaps it's supposed to take our attention away from all the depressing hard news.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
sin
i'D Like to know where you think anyone here said she was a saint and hereo?

I didn't care for Jackson and I think he's was a child molester who got away with what he did. From what I remember about Majors he was very dominating and controlling and demanded she stay in the roll of dumb blonde that was one reason she did the part in the burning bed which he didn't want. Yeah they were lousy parents but not different than anyone other in Hollywood. Parents aren't always to blame for their kids becoming drugs addicts though most of the time they are but I wouldn't say always. Lots of parents get divorced and the kids turn out fine.
 
RayvenAlandria
I wasn't implying that anyone here said she was a saint, I was implying that the media was.

I disagree about your statement on drug addicted kids. I do think parents are to blame when their kids become addicts. Always; either by being one themselves (Farrah and Ryan were known for partying), or by being neglectful and not noticing their kids were in trouble. Unless a kid is born a sociopath, which is exceedingly rare, parents are responsible for the way their kids turn out.

Their kids were messed up because they themselves were messed up, not because they were divorced. I'm not sure where that came from, I never mentioned that being divorced was a factor.

I just get annoyed by the way society worships stars and athletes. No one cares when a scientist dies but if some weirdo movie star dies, the world comes to a halt. It's disgusting.
 
catman
I think sometimes the parents may be to blame when their kids become drug addicts. It depends on the circumstances (and which drugs). It certainly isn't always true.

I can only agree concerning "the way society worships stars and athletes". It is a variation on the 'bread and circuses' idea, a distraction from more important matters which the gov't can't or won't deal with.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
sin
Sorry Rayven I thouhgt of that right after I left for work that you didn't specifically mean us. I'm with Catman I'm sick of hearing about MJ and yes she wasn't a saint. I'm not all heart broken over her death. You are rigjht that parents are to blame but I don't think all parents are all the time. Sometimes kids, not often, just refuse to listen to their parents but that's IMO usually when it's a single parent home. It's a bitch raising a kid alone especially when the Father is MIA. But the point is that they didn't raise their kids alone. I thiought you were saying something about being divorced being a reason for the kids being screwed up when you mentioned Majors. I don't say much about that because Majors was hard to live with according to the papers back then. I do think it was wrong for her to leave him the way she did. It's always better leave a marriage when it's time to, because it's not working out and never will but not because she/he found another lover. But all in all I agree she was no saint and she wasn't that bad a actor me. Maybe a part of her reason for doing the documentary was to get atteniton but I think it was to get the attention and seriousness of the tyep of cancer she had out to the public. She was even willing to show herself at her worst to show how serious cancer really is. It's not something for people to say that won't happen to me. Anyway I point wasn't about if she's a good parent or not it was about her passing and that is sad regardless of who it is when cancer takes a life. It was also about her acting not beind as bad tome as Bob thought it was to him. She wasn't all fluff all the time. That was my point.

Why not Mc Mahon well maybe he died when things weren't so bad for the economy. No wars, economic disaster, etc. and besides his job was fluff LOL he mostly just stood/sat and laughed to que the audience. LOL sorry Catman but yeah I was sorry to see him go too. These are people I grew up seeing in entertainment. These are people who came into our living rooms through out TV's so I guess it means a lot to some people. I just like remember with a kind thought but damn that's hard to do with MJ thinking he was a child molester who got away with it. Glad for the kids though that he's gone. I hope they don't carry on with trying to blame the Doctor or anyone else just to keep it going. They may be scared that the money train stopped so any money they get now is the end of the line. The gravy on the gravy train is drying up now.

We just have to change the station when we see it on the TV. Oh and what really got me the most of all was when an Illinoise, I think, Congressman stopped and asked for a moment of silence for MJ. Fuck! Congress stops for MJ? WTF? I think we all know why.
 
catman
sin: McMahon did more than just sit there and laugh in the right places, although he had one of the best laughs I ever heard; I couldn't help smiling when I heard it. He got in some good shots of his own at Carson.

I remember hearing that Lee Majors was an old-fashioned macho husband who expected to make all the decisions in the marriage and not bother consulting his wife. Some guys are just like that, and in my own life it never ceases to amaze me how many women seem to be attracted to them. Kudos to Farrah for not putting up with it indefinitely.

I'm having a big problem with TV nowadays: the ever-increasing number of commercials. The stations themselves beat the viewers over the head with ads for their own programs during other ones. Tonight one of the networks had just advertised their 10:00 news at 9:48 (twelve minutes away), after a interminable string of commercials, and couldn't resist adding a blurb for the 10:00 news at the bottom of the screen during the first several seconds of the program! Sometimes I wonder how smart I can be subscribe to cable and be subjected to all the commercials. They should be paying me!

Sorry about the rant, but I'm just sick of commercials. Especially the ones that try to be funny or clever; most of them fail miserably. But you have to see them over and over...Sad My dad was in advertising, and I don't think he ever forgave himself. I can remember listening to him, after he retired, talking to the TV during commercials, saying, "I can't believe they did that!"
Edited by catman on 06/30/2009 01:22
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
Hypatia
I detest commercials too Cat; the 'mute' button on the remote is my favorite when I watch t.v.

 
catman
I couldn't watch TV at all without the mute button at hand.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
sin
Yes come to think of it Cat McMahon did get a few good cuts in himself. Believe it or not there's very few commercials I like. I miss the one with the black and white dog with her pups about the Reynolds' wrap and recycling. One pup went the wrong way...she gave a little woof..and the pup went to the right instead of the left LOL.

I also like the one where the guy is in what looks like a health spa place and he runs around the the room fast forward then comes back on the scale and smacks the scale. It's funny the way he does it.

I can't think any others I find cute or funny or think of any others from the past. I always just fast forward them because I tape most of what I watch so I dont have to be tied down at the exact time the program is on. I hate it when the station puts that stupid ad on the bottom or bottom corner advertising about another program to air later on that week. Worst of all is when they show the same freakin commercial over and over during an hour long program I didn't tape ahead of time. That drives me up a wall. there were times when I just turned the program off because it had so many commercials....more than the usual amount!! like we need more added. It's getting to the point where an hour program is really just 15 minutes...used to be at least a half hour of the program and a half hour of commercials in between. Ugh. I use the mute button a lot too.

BTW you didn't really rant Cat it's nice to see you voice a little more Smile
 
catman
Thanks, sin. There aren't many commercials I can stand. I like the Chevron commercials with the little cars that talk, but I haven't seen any of them lately. What really bothers me is when I see the same commercial twice in one commercial break. I've noticed lately that in Two and a Half Men, one of my favorites, one of the commercial breaks is so extremely long that it is interrupted twice so that the network can remind us of which program we are watching!

I find myself watching PBS much more lately, which is a good thing. NOVA was great tonight!
Edited by catman on 07/01/2009 00:08
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
Bob of QF
catman wrote:
.... NOVA was great tonight!


Missed Nova.

Watched Nova Science Now, though.

Too cool: diamonds as electronics.

And the software that corrects pitch? Way cool (and something I'd long suspected...)
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
catman
As a professional musician, I despise the pitch-correction gizmo. It's been available for several years for about $400 and can be used live or in the studio, with a "humanizing" function(!). I can usually tell if it is being used, by a synthetic quality which is introduced into the singing, although it's hard to tell if done well. I value singers who can sing on key naturally; to me, using that is just cheating.

Sorry about the mini-rant. I agree it is interesting in a gee-whiz sort of way. But as you could see from the program, it can make even a very poor singer sound good, and that just devalues the whole singing ability thing.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Four Dead in Ohio The Rant Room 20 05/14/2012 08:25
[Updated 10/13/11]Victoria Jackson really is an unhinged loon! The Rant Room 17 10/15/2011 00:53
Bluesman David 'Honey Boy' Edwards dead at 96 Music Discussions 7 09/01/2011 09:55
Osama bin Laden Dead! The Lounge 41 05/09/2011 09:56
Happy dead guy on a stick season! Christianity 7 03/10/2011 01:53