View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Secular Activism
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Why atheists need to be heard
Adam Ajaja
I have seen many goddites whining about how atheists should shut up and get on with their lives. Interesting article here on why that stance is precisely what we do NOT need

Link
Edited by Adam Ajaja on 06/27/2009 17:49

Bob of QF
I've seen that essay before--it's a good one.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

derF
Out here in California I don't see too much anger towards atheists. But maybe it is just because there are so many of us. But there is one point the author makes that I totally disagree with. He says no one can be absolutely sure there isn't a god or gods out there. B. S. There is absolutely zero evidence of any supernatural being. Nothing! Only hear say. Ancient stories purporting to have seen and conversed with this phenomena. Trying to believe in something that there is no evidence of whatsoever is absurd.

Edited: Just in case I might have made a mistake but I didn't find one.
Edited by derF on 06/28/2009 00:12
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
I found one: "hear say" is one word. Nyuk, nyuk.Wink

It's impossible to prove that there is no god, but I (along with R. Dawkins) consider it extremely unlikely. In fact, I feel that it is so unlikely that the question shouldn't even come up.
Edited by catman on 06/28/2009 02:14
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
Firstly? I totally agree: zero evidence.

In fact? There is plenty of evidence showing that if a god exists, that god does not care one iota for the fate of humanity, let alone individuals.

Which is the exact same result as "no god at all".

Me? I lean to the "no god at all" side, but it could easily be "god doesn't give a holy rat-fuck".

If the latter is true?

God Help Us All*

But. Even with all of the above, the writer is correct: we cannot be 100% certain god is myth. That would require.....

.....faith.

Speaking just for me? I refuse to indulge myself.

On the Fourth Hand?

We may as well act as if god doesn't exist.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

* to quote Roger Waters, in Amused To Death
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

derF
catman wrote:
I found one: "hear say" is one word. Nyuk, nyuk.Wink

It's impossible to prove that there is no god, but I (along with R. Dawkins) consider it extremely unlikely. In fact, I feel that it is so unlikely that the question shouldn't even come up.

Heresy (dissent, nonconformity,blasphemy, atheism, non belief) is one word. It has religious connotations. Such as nonconformity or atheism. Hear say is completely different. Hear and say. What you hear of what they say. You have no proof other than that you heard some one say that they totally backed something that someone else said. Also, correctly, interpreted as hear say. I. E. You hear someone say something that supports your position but can produce no proof that it is fact other than the fact that you heard someone else state it. Yes the two are nearly identical but there are distinct differences.

Edited: Because it was a slow night and I didn't want to disappoint anyone who expects me to edit myself.
Edited by derF on 06/28/2009 03:39
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
derF: I wasn't confusing 'hearsay' with 'heresy'. I know the difference (they are completely different, not "nearly identical"!), and 'hearsay' is one word. I just checked it in the dictionary to make sure.

Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.Pfft
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
That's all hear say.

Pfft

catman
Hypatia: Thanks for your support.Grin

Jump to Forum: