View Thread

Print Thread
The Atheist Experience from ACA
Theory_Execution
'But I do know that I love you, and I know that if you love me too what a wonderful world this could be.'

He, just listening to some Sam Cooke, but thats not the point of this post.

A good few years back now I found a few short clips of an American TV show produced by the Atheist Community of Austin (ACA) and liked it that much I tracked down their website (tracked down he says - as if googling words is strenuous), which has a database of aired shows stretching back ten years or so.

So they are a not-for-profit organisation who do an hour thirty show on public access TV, originally for the atheists in Austin, where the show was originally started. However, due to youtube and others their show went national and quickly international.

So now they stream the show over the tinterwebs.

The basic setup is two co-hosts with one picking a topic for the day, 20 or so minutes are spent on the topic (something relevant to church state seperation for instance) and then they take some incoming calls.

I may have mentioned it in a post before, but I cant remember if I ever pushed having it linked. It would be a nice addition to the 'Secular Links' over there.

So the website is www.atheist-experience.com
[url]http://www.atheist-experience.com/[/url]

Check it out. They are out of the studio at the moment as its undergoing some renovations. So it is being shot in Matt Dillahunty's (main host and chair of the ACA me thinks) house.

To get a quick taste of what they are like you can search for some of their funnier calls on youtube. Hell, heres a link lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJxCFa8YmbQ[/url]

Enjoy.

Bob of QF
Thanks! That was so very enjoyable.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Theory_Execution
There are some really good conversations they have on that show, where they talk about evolution, brain studies etc but also a few crazy callers.

There was one guy from a show I remember who told them he could prove that a spiritual world exists, and that to experience it you need a mirror and a small stream/brook. Id explain it but watching it is better.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXwRSht5_vc[/url]

I think thats the link, yup thats it, its a goodun.

Bob of QF
Theory_Execution wrote:
There are some really good conversations they have on that show, where they talk about evolution, brain studies etc but also a few crazy callers.

There was one guy from a show I remember who told them he could prove that a spiritual world exists, and that to experience it you need a mirror and a small stream/brook. Id explain it but watching it is better.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXwRSht5_vc[/url]

I think thats the link, yup thats it, its a goodun.

Rofl

I'm like the host; I'm not sure I could get my mind in state where I'd be willing to play with my own poo......!!!

GrinGrin
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Theory_Execution
Its a great show, there should be another episode out today or tomorrow, usually just audio first, then a few days later the video is uploaded.

Its one show I look forward to.

Theory_Execution
I lied, there wont be one this week as the guy who is letting them shoot in his house is away at some meeting.

Lazy gits could have used another house, damn them damn them.

General-Pryce
I love the Atheist Experience. There is a great clip where a creationist calls in and uses Darwin's eye quote- so the hosts make him read the following paragraph on air and destroys his own argument.

Theory_Execution
Theres also the Non-Prophets podcast they do, which is harsher and slightly political, as the public access tv will not let you speak about specific politics/politicians.

They have only recently started taking callers on that show though.

Hypatia
Theory_Execution wrote:
'But I do know that I love you, and I know that if you love me too what a wonderful world this could be.'

He, just listening to some Sam Cooke, but thats not the point of this post.

A good few years back now I found a few short clips of an American TV show produced by the Atheist Community of Austin (ACA) and liked it that much I tracked down their website (tracked down he says - as if googling words is strenuous), which has a database of aired shows stretching back ten years or so.

So they are a not-for-profit organisation who do an hour thirty show on public access TV, originally for the atheists in Austin, where the show was originally started. However, due to youtube and others their show went national and quickly international.

So now they stream the show over the tinterwebs.

The basic setup is two co-hosts with one picking a topic for the day, 20 or so minutes are spent on the topic (something relevant to church state seperation for instance) and then they take some incoming calls.

I may have mentioned it in a post before, but I cant remember if I ever pushed having it linked. It would be a nice addition to the 'Secular Links' over there.

So the website is www.atheist-experience.com
[url]http://www.atheist-experience.com/[/url]

Check it out. They are out of the studio at the moment as its undergoing some renovations. So it is being shot in Matt Dillahunty's (main host and chair of the ACA me thinks) house.

To get a quick taste of what they are like you can search for some of their funnier calls on youtube. Hell, heres a link lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJxCFa8YmbQ[/url]

Enjoy.

TE! Thanks very much for letting me know the ACA is on YouTube, etc. I'd heard of them many years ago when I spent some time in Austin, and knew people who lived there even before then.

Loved 'The Best Caller Ever' video - it'll be a blast watching others.

Theory_Execution
Its the insight I have constantly had into American society when I have taken breaks from this website.

Its basically a televised atheist forum, they have all these people on the show, speaking in turn, from different backgrounds - some from fundie to enlightened, others having never felt the death touch of dark age thought while growing up.

Then after speaking about a subject a christian (mainly, theyve had some wiccans and others on) jumps in and starts copy+pasting from answers-in-jenny's-cist.

Id type more but my arms are in agony today, went a bit overboard with the exercise the other day.

Jump to Forum: