View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
How to Deal With Proselytization
Kallistie
There are any number of ways to deal with proselytizers but some are more effective or funny than others. How do you do it? Will you tell us the/a story?

My favorites are either throwing a loaded question back at them or saying something they didn't expect to shut them down.

Last summer, I mentioned I was an atheist around a guy who is apparently devoutly Baptist. He butted into my conversation and asked, "Dis you know that Christ died for your sins?" I responded, "Does your mother know you're gay?"
His jaw dropped and he never talked to me again.

The JWs are the proselytizing scourge of my area (I guess the local Mormons know better than to irritate their neighbors). One day a couple years ago I was in the yard and two old ladies and an old man asked me if anyone in my family was looking for religion. I said, "No, I think we're all good." They flipped out.

Bob of QF
Kallistie wrote:.... One day a couple years ago I was in the yard and two old ladies and an old man asked me if anyone in my family was looking for religion. ....

Another excellent answer to "looking for religion" is:

No. I found it. I found it was basically evil.

Smile
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

kjbluez
Funny enough, the Mormons from my area avoid me now. They approached me once to ask their questions and spread their "word," but I know their logic and tactics - they ask questions to which there is no answer. So, I simply used their logic against them and asked them the same type of "loaded" questions that they use.
They were completely dumbfounded.

Now, it is me who waves and walks up and says hello, and they walk the other direction as soon as they can. As soon as you realize their type of logic, they don't want anything to do with you.

I love talking with proselytizers any more. They are funny and often know nothing about their religion. As soon as they realize that you know more than they do (and don't believe), they get frustrated and often hilarity ensues.
Sorta mean, I know, but still funny.

catman
I live only two short blocks from a Mormon church, and the little two-man teams used to come by once in a while. I must have been scratched off their list too, because they don't come by any more. I almost miss them. I must have had too much fun last time.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
Yeah, after I met the last goddies at the door in my hot pink nightie and told them they'd have to come back after we sacrificed the virgin I guess we got scratched off the list too, because it's been at least a couple of years now since any of them have come by.

That's too bad, in a way, because there are so many different approaches on my list I'd still like to try - like Bob has recently done - asking them valid questions we all know they can't actually answer. Not that I haven't tried that approach in other situations, but it might be fun to try it on the goddie door knockers.

One thing I'd like to try is putting the shoe on the other foot - when one of them asks what church I go to, or some such similar thing, saying something like, 'Oh, no, that's YOUR thing, just don't start that with me. I really don't want to hear about it. To each their own, and all, but I'm not into that.' You know, the kinds of things xtians are fond of saying when they hear someone say they're an atheist - even when they've asked. :rolleyes:

catman
Regarding the last two young Mormons who showed up at the door, when they started into their spiel, I interrupted them with, "I'm an atheist". One of the two acted like he couldn't get away from my heathen house fast enough, but the other had the temerity to argue with me. I enjoyed it.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
catman wrote:
Regarding the last two young Mormons who showed up at the door, when they started into their spiel, I interrupted them with, "I'm an atheist". One of the two acted like he couldn't get away from my heathen house fast enough, but the other had the temerity to argue with me. I enjoyed it.

Yep. I also enjoy a really rollicking argument. Especially if I can get the upper hand, which among door-knockers, is usually quite easy.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
No, it isn't difficult. "Prove it" usually gets the ball rolling. Then the discussion about the veracity of the Bible (or Book of Mormon) follows. I almost feel sorry for the little guys that the Mormons send out. They've never run into a full-fledged atheist before. It is fun!
Edited by catman on 08/14/2009 23:48

Doubting Thomas
Luckily I haven't been bothered in quite a while, though one day I did come home to find a copy of the Watchtower stuck in my door handle. It promptly went in the trash. But I almost wish I'd had been home to argue with them.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Kallistie
I loooove Mormons. I like to remind them their god is an alien.

I'm actually hoping there's a goddie who tries to bother me when I get back to school.

Doubting Thomas
Really, though, I just prefer to be left alone. I believe that religion should be a private matter, and proselytizing is just plain annoying. Think about it, how weak is your faith that you have to go out and try to recruit everybody you meet? I mean,the whole door-to-door thing is just plain ridiculous. I'm sure they think they're "saving souls for God" but in reality, if people wanted to be part of their religion they'd go to their church on their own.

catman
It's all that 'go forth and be fishers of men' crap that Jesus allegedly recommended. The way I feel about it is: Don't call me, I'll call you if I feel the need for a supernatural monkey on my back. Not bloody likely.
Edited by catman on 08/16/2009 15:24

derF
Speaking of Mormons. Some of you may know that I was born in Utah about a Paul Bunyon's stone throw from the mighty Mormon Tabernacle in Salt Lake City. I moved to south eastern Idaho (an enclave of devout Mormonism) as a small child. Since I was born in the heart of Mormon country it was assumed that I was a full fledged, baptized Mormon and I attended Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints' church for years. Even when I was still very young I thought that this religion was terribly flawed. The Book or Mormon seemed very poorly written and its story conflicted with history as I was taught it. Idaho's Public Schools are quite secular due to a power struggle between Mormons and Christians. I guess neither side wants the others ideas taught so there was no religious taint whatsoever.

Once I began studying the history and the beginnings of the Mormon church I came to the realization that it was a completely fictional religion.

Once of few years ago some young men in black suits and ties riding bicycles (You can spot Mormon Missionaries a mile away.) came to the neighborhood and started knocking on doors. I was among the first. They were nice enough young fellows, most Mormons are pretty nice folks. They came in and sat down and asked me about my faith. I told them I was born in Utah and they too assumed I was Mormon. I didn't say I wasn't but started pointing out the glaring lack of evidence supporting any of their religions basis. They realized I wasn't one of them. I asked them about Smiths criminal record, about the missing golden tablets and the original lost Book of Mormon and the new, fresh out of the hat, new Book of Mormon. That wasn't what they had come prepared to talk to me about. But, to give them credit, they remained pleasant, made apologies for imposing on my time and wasted none or theirs getting on their bicycles and leaving the neighborhood. It was still early and they had yet to visit most of the other homes in the neighborhood. I guess I shook them up a bit. They never came back. I now live in a new neighborhood. Maybe with any luck I will get visited by some more Mormon Missionaries. I hope so. I am still pissed at the active role they took in denying gays the right to marry in a recent referendum here in California.

Oh, yeah. I edited.
Edited by derF on 08/17/2009 01:49
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Sinny
They choose certain ways of prosyletizing and certain people which is usually who they think they can get caught off guard or knows them too well and attempts to spare their feelings. That's to me why they choose whom they choose and they way they go about it but the reason they even bother to is so they can get the rewards they are promised for brainwashing I mean bringing people to their religious beliefs. The way I see it is they aren't doing anyone any favors, though they do try to make it look like they are, they just want what they think is in it for themselves.
Edited by Sinny on 08/18/2009 09:47

Adam Ajaja
Had two buttholes turn up at the door once saying "We want to talk about the Bible" and I replied "shit continuity and poor character development. Bye!!" and slammed the door in their faces

I've gotten less subtle since then Grin

Doubting Thomas
What I find funny about Mormons is that they've converted people after they died.

catman
Sinny wrote:The way I see it is they aren't doing anyone any favors, though they do try to make it look like they are, they just want what they think is in it for themselves.

Exactly!

derF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
What I find funny about Mormons is that they've converted people after they died.

Yeah, the gall of those people. Trying to claim the souls of those poor people AFTER they have met their maker and gone off to whatever reward they deserve. Who do those Mormons think they are???
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
That seems a lot like grave-robbing to me. Anyway, it's an even more ridiculous concept than most in religion. Leave it to the Mormons.

Hypatia
Doubting Thomas wrote:
Really, though, I just prefer to be left alone. I believe that religion should be a private matter, and proselytizing is just plain annoying. Think about it, how weak is your faith that you have to go out and try to recruit everybody you meet? I mean,the whole door-to-door thing is just plain ridiculous. I'm sure they think they're "saving souls for God" but in reality, if people wanted to be part of their religion they'd go to their church on their own.

Really, I'm the same way. I've had about as many conversations and debates with theists as I care to. Any more I find that, in the end, it's more a waste of my time and breath than anything else, and I've pretty much lost interest in it.

Besides, when the goddies come to the door, it's rarely, if ever, a convenient time - thus the hot pink nightie. It wasn't as if I saw them coming and ran to put it on, for their benefit, though I would have thought it a nice touch anyway.

I'd rather give these goddies the message that 'spreading the word' is improper and impolite, especially door-to-door and in the work place, and that I think, like DT, it is a personal matter that should be kept as such.

There are still times I choose to engage in conversation or debate with a theist, but those times are far and few between now. When I do I want to give the theist I'm speaking with a very clear impression that I think what they're doing is very odd, very out of line, and that I think it would feel very embarrassing to be going around trying so fervently to get people to also believe in such silly, ridiculous things.

Jump to Forum: