View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
How to Deal With Proselytization
kjbluez
Bob of QF wrote:

Yep. I also enjoy a really rollicking argument. Especially if I can get the upper hand, which among door-knockers, is usually quite easy.
Yea, I admit I love debating the religious folk, as you would know from Topix.

Part of it is just entertainment, they can get to be downright funny sometimes. I love debating as well. I don't enter the religious people's threads, that is their area to discuss whatever they discuss; I only debate those trying to push their beliefs onto me or the general public.

catman
Exactly, kjbluez! I leave them to their delusions until they make an offensive (in more ways than one) action. The most obtuse of the bunch in most cases are the ones who proselytize, which makes them easy to defeat but difficult to make an impression on (they're just too brainwashed).
Edited by catman on 08/22/2009 02:43
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Kallistie
derF wrote:
...I now live in a new neighborhood. Maybe with any luck I will get visited by some more Mormon Missionaries. I hope so. I am still pissed at the active role they took in denying gays the right to marry in a recent referendum here in California.

^That. I was livid. People out of state have ABSOLUTELY no right to interfere with my state's elections in any way, shape, or form. There are Mormon enclaves here (I live in one), but the money came from out of state. And also Blackwater.

Doubting Thomas wrote:
What I find funny about Mormons is that they've converted people after they died.

That pisses me off. I have (distant) Mormon relatives who belong to the sect that does that. I have no doubt half our ancestors are now Mormonized. Fuck that. Angry

No godies yet. Sad I love talking to them when I'm in the right mood. Much lulz to be had.

Hypatia
derF wrote:
Doubting Thomas wrote:
What I find funny about Mormons is that they've converted people after they died.

Yeah, the gall of those people. Trying to claim the souls of those poor people AFTER they have met their maker and gone off to whatever reward they deserve. Who do those Mormons think they are???

I don't really know much about the mormon religion, but isn't lying and being deceitful considered a sin in all the major religions?

They have to know as well as we do that there isn't anything honest about converting people after they've died - they do it just to make their member numbers look larger than they are.

Yeah, I know, somewhere in their holey book is justification for doing this, so it can't be called dishonest - or at least those who do this practice interpret it that way.

Aren't they all like that.

I wonder how they choose the one's they'll convert after death, and if those were people who didn't even want to be mormon to begin with?

This is a practice that really pisses me off - it's one on the list.

kjbluez
catman wrote:
Exactly, kjbluez! I leave them to their delusions until they make an offensive (in more ways than one) action. The most obtuse of the bunch in most cases are the ones who proselytize, which makes them easy to defeat but difficult to make an impression on (they're just too brainwashed).
lol, so very true.
Some of them really take that "tearing the eye out of reason" thing quite seriously.

catman
I'm sorry to say that my cousin has. I can hardly talk with him nowadays without getting into a religious argument because he always steers the conversation in that direction. He's not a bad sort otherwise.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Jump to Forum: