View Thread

 Print Thread
Curious squirrel or picture whore?
Skeeve
Story [url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6018173/Squirrel-is-surprise-star-of-holiday-photo.html]HERE[/url]

[img]http://atheiststoday.com/images/squirrel.jpg[/img]
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine
 
catman
That's amazing! I'd think it was Photoshopped, except that the squirrel is in focus and nothing else is. A wonderful serendipitous photo!
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
Bob of QF
Aaaah, the fruits of auto-focus at work.....back during the Film Camera days, when auto-focus was at best, a pipe-dream, the squirrel would've been totally out of focus, for the static focus would've been on the subjects instead.

Cool pic.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
catman
Well, I can't blame the auto-focus for considering the squirrel to be the subject!Wink
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
Hypatia
Hmmm, well, I don't know enough about photography (nor do I know whether or not a squirrel would become 'intrigued with the sound' of a focusing camera) to tell if this photo was photo shopped or not - but it's still a cute picture of the squirrel with the people.

I tend to think it's an out of focus picture photo shopped to add the squirrel. If it is, I don't think these people should claim otherwise, but I suppose we can only take their word for it being real.





 
catman
Wow, and I thought I was cynical. Wink
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
Hypatia
Cynical, skeptical - eh.

Grin
 
derF
Hypatia wrote:
Hmmm, well, I don't know enough about photography (nor do I know whether or not a squirrel would become 'intrigued with the sound' of a focusing camera) to tell if this photo was photo shopped or not - but it's still a cute picture of the squirrel with the people.

I tend to think it's an out of focus picture photo shopped to add the squirrel. If it is, I don't think these people should claim otherwise, but I suppose we can only take their word for it being real.


Trust me Patia. Squirrels are definitely curious little creatures. Mentally as well as physically. As long as they are next to their tunnel and can disappear quickly they love to stand on their haunches and check out strange sounds and sights. I think most of their curiosity is motivated by hunger. They do odd things. But they aren't stupid. In the town where I work, (Pacific Grove, California) a lot of squirrels get killed from crossing the street. But in the past decade, or so, more and more squirrels get from one side of the street to the other by tightrope walking across phone and power lines. Darwin's theory at work.

Speaking of Squirrels, did anyone see the latest Pixar animated movie UP? Great movie!


If I didn't edit it, I didn't post it.
Edited by derF on 08/15/2009 01:39
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.
 
Doubting Thomas
I tend to believe the story. If the people were in focus, then I'd say it was photoshopped, but it's a believable story.

Now, the picture of the squirrel in front of the tanks in Tiennamin Square, however...
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.
 
Sinny
Yeah I can understand Patia's skepticism it does appear that way at first. It did to me too but as I looked and looked I thought wait the background should be out of focus since an object, this being the squirrel, came in front and changed the focus on the auto focus lens. I think if the squirrel weren't there then it would have automatically focused on the couple.

It does look funny and it makes me laugh seeing the expression on the squirrels face. Yes the squirrel has an expression in case anyone didn't notice.

Argh I want to post more but my little girl pussycat won't let me. Ok ok Trix I'm coming. I must hug her and reward her for wanting my attention.
 
catman
Sinny wrote:I think if the squirrel weren't there then it would have automatically focused on the couple.
It would have. But Hypatia stated that she thought the squirrel image was added to an out-of-focus photo.
Argh I want to post more but my little girl pussycat won't let me. Ok ok Trix I'm coming. I must hug her and reward her for wanting my attention.
Yes, we must always be diligent in obeying our feline overlords.Wink
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
Sinny
Yes she did Cat and I can see why since at first look it did look that way and to me too. After looking at it a while I saw that it looked legit and the way I see it is now.

My babies always come first except for today. Well guess what they made me come first when I was in a little pain before. Trixie smelled the blood and kept sniffing at my mouth and my little boy just wouldn't stop demanding I let him cuddle with me. Of course this meant his sister was not at all allowed to be near me longer than it took to sniff me LOL. He just won't share me. Anyway it always pays off for me to make them first I get so much more back. It's really something what we can get from them if we give them the chance. Norton bit me a few times and each time I would talk nice to him and slightly wiggle my finger and hand to let him know hey cut that out. I did it just ever so gently and then he realised I wasn't trying to get rough with him or hurt him and he was only trying to say hey be careful I'm smaller than you and I'm taking this seriously cause it's scaring me. He does that because he can't talk to me in human language and sometimes meowing just doesn't work with me LOL. I sometime rub his little belly too much ...ok his belly isn't that little LOL. So he lets me know when he's had enough or if I'm tickling him too much. Too bad not everyone takes the few precious seconds it takes to learn how to communicate with them....they miss out on so much when they don't and have no idea just how much they miss out on.
 
catman
Sinny wrote:...when I was in a little pain before. Trixie smelled the blood and kept sniffing at my mouth ...

What happened? That's too much not to ask a question about!
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan
 
Sinny
catman wrote:
Sinny wrote:...when I was in a little pain before. Trixie smelled the blood and kept sniffing at my mouth ...

What happened? That's too much not to ask a question about!


Oh ha I didn't realize how that sounded. It's just a tooth I got pulled. I originally had root canal done and the dentist at that time didn't get it all the way down to the end of the root. Well time went by and the cap got an opening under it and food got in. I made work come first and put off going to my new dentist and guess what?? yep I got infection and had to have the tooth re-rooted this time all the way down, two posts put in along with new cap. Well the new cap didn't last hardly at all and that one became loose. come to find the nice newly root canal- ed tooth got a hairline crack on the top right at the rim if the gum line. Ugh so the tooth couldn't be saved, eventually the 2 posts would have cracked the root instead of the top part of the tooth so I finally got it pulled with two stitches to boot.
 
Hypatia
Sinny wrote:

Oh ha I didn't realize how that sounded. It's just a tooth I got pulled. I originally had root canal done and the dentist at that time didn't get it all the way down to the end of the root. Well time went by and the cap got an opening under it and food got in. I made work come first and put off going to my new dentist and guess what?? yep I got infection and had to have the tooth re-rooted this time all the way down, two posts put in along with new cap. Well the new cap didn't last hardly at all and that one became loose. come to find the nice newly root canal- ed tooth got a hairline crack on the top right at the rim if the gum line. Ugh so the tooth couldn't be saved, eventually the 2 posts would have cracked the root instead of the top part of the tooth so I finally got it pulled with two stitches to boot.


Ohhhhh, you poor dear! What a miserable experience to have to go through. I hope you're feeling better now and able to have what you want to eat for dinner tonight. Hope the stitches are the dissolveable kind too. [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/toyou.gif[/img]



catman wrote:
Sinny wrote:I think if the squirrel weren't there then it would have automatically focused on the couple.
It would have. But Hypatia stated that she thought the squirrel image was added to an out-of-focus photo.
Argh I want to post more but my little girl pussycat won't let me. Ok ok Trix I'm coming. I must hug her and reward her for wanting my attention.
Yes, we must always be diligent in obeying our feline overlords.Wink


I also said I don't know anything about photography (or squirrels)! [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/2mo5pow.gif[/img]

I guess I know a little more about photography now. Grin
 
Sinny
Awww [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/thankyou.gif[/img]

I really dreaded going through with it [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/tantrumsmiley.gif[/img]


I asked if they were disolving stitches and of course they aren't, sure because thery are in my mouth, so I have to go back to have them removed Ugh [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/flat.gif[/img]

I finally got to eat better today but it's still a little sore and I only took half a pain pill because one of the side effects was rapid heart beat. I done good until last night and had to take a benadryl to help me sleep. Man that one little pill is potent. I slept like the dead last night and had some coffee this morning.

To think I brush, floss and every thing else in between and yet that darn tooth still couldn't be saved. [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/90.gif[/img] I swear it was the posts that did it. Now I have to decide if I want one little lone tooth with the metal hook or get the 3 in a row bridge. I can't see pulling two more good teeth just to get a bridge so I think I'm going to go with the one lone tooth with the hook. I absolutely refuse to get the replacement tooth that gets drilled into the jaw. The way I see it if the tooth can crack [one in a million chance of that happening] then who's to say my jaw wouldn't accidentally crack from drilling into it. Eeesh I that scares me nearly to death yet so many people go for it.

Of course I will live, I think ha ha, but man alive I never want to go through this again.
 
Bob of QF
Sinny wrote:
Awww [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/thankyou.gif[/img]

I really dreaded going through with it [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/tantrumsmiley.gif[/img]


I asked if they were disolving stitches and of course they aren't, sure because thery are in my mouth, so I have to go back to have them removed Ugh [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/flat.gif[/img]

I finally got to eat better today but it's still a little sore and I only took half a pain pill because one of the side effects was rapid heart beat. I done good until last night and had to take a benadryl to help me sleep. Man that one little pill is potent. I slept like the dead last night and had some coffee this morning.

To think I brush, floss and every thing else in between and yet that darn tooth still couldn't be saved. [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/90.gif[/img] I swear it was the posts that did it. Now I have to decide if I want one little lone tooth with the metal hook or get the 3 in a row bridge. I can't see pulling two more good teeth just to get a bridge so I think I'm going to go with the one lone tooth with the hook. I absolutely refuse to get the replacement tooth that gets drilled into the jaw. The way I see it if the tooth can crack [one in a million chance of that happening] then who's to say my jaw wouldn't accidentally crack from drilling into it. Eeesh I that scares me nearly to death yet so many people go for it.

Of course I will live, I think ha ha, but man alive I never want to go through this again.


Your jawbone is not that brittle-- but even if it did, unless there's something wrong with your bone density, it would heal.

My sister has several of those posts, and loves'em. Ceramic tooth fitted on top of a titanium post (which is firmly seated in her jaw). It seems bone loves titanium-- it grows right into it, locking it firmly into place (the titanium is made somewhat porous for just this thing).

If her ceramic tooth ever gets cracked or chipped? She can have a replacement fitted onto the titanium post....

If I had the money? I'd seriously consider having it done myself...
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.
 
Jump to Forum: