View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » LGBT
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Lutherans lift barrier for gay clergy
Skeeve
While I still don't understand how anyone considered an "abomination" would want to belong:

http://www.latime...8968.story

The nation's largest Lutheran denomination Friday reversed a long-standing ban on the appointment of non-celibate gays to the clergy, becoming the second major Christian group in a month to liberalize policies governing who may minister the faith.

Gay christcult members confuse me. But like everyone else that belongs, they pick and choose the parts of the buybull that make them feel good.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Doubting Thomas
I think it's great that the gay issue is further dividing Christians.

I've often said that I don't know why a gay person would want to be part of any Christian church, unless perhaps it is a more liberal, open-minded church. But those are few & far in between. But a gay Christian is like a black man being a member of the KKK.

But what the hey... I know Catholics who are pro-choice. I guess people tend to compartmentalize their beliefs.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Adam Ajaja
The Lutheran church is the big 'un here. They are desperate because people are leaving their religion very fast, as people realise the priests are full of dung. Quite how they think allowing gays to be clergy will reverse this trend is beyond me

catman
But are people leaving the Lutheran church to join another, or are they giving up going to church in general?
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Adam Ajaja
catman wrote:
But are people leaving the Lutheran church to join another, or are they giving up going to church in general?

Well, a small few left to become a muslim so they could marry their muslim partner (for instance), but for the most part it has been becoming agnostic or atheist

Still, that's just here. I don't know what the state of the Lutheran churches in other countries is like

Doubting Thomas
I can say that there does seem to be some promise in the Catholic church as well. The few times I'm forced to go to church services it seems like it's predominantly older people there. It seems like I rarely see anyone in the 18-30 age group. True, there are some, and usually some kids because they're forced to go with their parents, but it looks like few young adults willingly go to church any more. And this is mainly in a predominantly Catholic town, but I've noticed it in other places as well. The only time you see the churches packed is during Easter or Christmas church services, when apparently all the family members who normally don't go to church have to go with their families. I admit that's about the only time I go, and not because I want to.

And it would also appear that the church is still suffering from a shortage of priests. Not surprising that they would cover up the pedophilia scandals in order to keep what few priests they have, but the average age of priests seems to be around 80. And you don't see many men from the local community joining the priesthood, either. This is why I say that the Catholic church needs to move into the 21st century and allow priests to marry. They'd probably get more priests in a hurry. I'm sure the whole celebacy thing has deterred many men. They're fighting against natural urges that they think they can control, and it's not working out.
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 08/25/2009 22:39

derF
Jesus christ. How many variations of Christianity is there. One estimate says there are 34,000 different sects. What a fucking waste of life. These people really are pathetic.

Edited only to ask forgiveness for my unforgivable fucking language.
Edited by derF on 08/26/2009 01:20
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Hypatia
derF wrote:
Jesus christ. How many variations of Christianity is there. One estimate says there are 34,000 different sects. What a fucking waste of life. These people really are pathetic.

Edited only to ask forgiveness for my unforgivable fucking language.

Aw shitfire. Fuck it. Wink

Man (humans) keeps inventing religions as s/he keeps looking for whatever it is the babble/koran/torah aren't providing, they don't understand, don't agree with, the 'god's' 'give' humans, through humans, religion over again because they ('god's'Wink didn't get it quite right with the aforementioned holey books - a few of my guesses as to why there are so many sects.

Doubting Thomas
I think the primary reason there are so many different sects of Christianity is due to the vague language of the bible. If it were crystal clear, there would be a lot fewer denominations. Of course that still wouldn't keep people from forming their own offshoots because they don't like Bob Smith and his bunch trying to take over the church board.

Let's be extremely grateful that there are so many different denominations of Christianity. With that many different people disagreeing on minor things, it makes it that much harder for them to join together to take away our rights and establish a theocracy in this country. I've long believed that the only reason a theocracy hasn't been established is because all the Christians can't agree on which sect gets to be in charge.

Bob of QF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
.... I've long believed that the only reason a theocracy hasn't been established is because all the Christians can't agree on which sect gets to be in charge.

Thank GOD for that!

Rofl
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Hypatia
Doubting Thomas wrote:
I think the primary reason there are so many different sects of Christianity is due to the vague language of the bible. If it were crystal clear, there would be a lot fewer denominations. Of course that still wouldn't keep people from forming their own offshoots because they don't like Bob Smith and his bunch trying to take over the church board.

Let's be extremely grateful that there are so many different denominations of Christianity. With that many different people disagreeing on minor things, it makes it that much harder for them to join together to take away our rights and establish a theocracy in this country. I've long believed that the only reason a theocracy hasn't been established is because all the Christians can't agree on which sect gets to be in charge.

R'amen to that.

catman
Hypatia: Ah, the FSM. May He caress you with His Noodly Appendage.Wink
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
Tanks Cat, and you as well. Grin

Jump to Forum: