View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Textbooks being written for Texas students
Skeeve
While on the face of it, this doesn't "look" like a Separation issue to some people, but we all know where the seed to this bullshit comes from.

http://www.chron....81189.html

AUSTIN Texas high school students would learn about such significant individuals and milestones of conservative politics as Newt Gingrich and the rise of the Moral Majority but nothing about liberals under the first draft of new standards for public school history textbooks.

And the side that got left out is very unhappy.

I used to be proud to announce that Texas was my homestate. I think I'll stick to my birthstate, Arizona. (Not that it is much better, politically)
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Doubting Thomas
The very real problem with this is that Texas usually gets to decide what the rest of the country sees in their school textbooks because Texas is the largest buyer of text books. Publishers are not willing to print two versions of the same school book due to costs, so normally whatever Texas wants in their school books is what the rest of the country gets.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Skeeve
Good point, DT. This is why I'm sure the idea is being supported and funded by people outside of Texas as well.

"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
As a resident of Texas, I hang my head in shame. Sad
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
IMO this is definitely a decision to be mourned - obviously and most importantly for the students of Texas, and then because of any possible after effects for any other school districts around the country.

Woe is us.

Jump to Forum: