View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » HELP!
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Stupid refrigerators.
Skeeve
It was just one sentence in the Popular Science section...the last sentence, I believe.

Asimov and Heinlein are my two favorite sci-fi authors. I'm pretty sure I've ready everything they've published, some more than once.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Bob of QF
Skeeve wrote:
It was just one sentence in the Popular Science section...the last sentence, I believe.

Asimov and Heinlein are my two favorite sci-fi authors. I'm pretty sure I've ready everything they've published, some more than once.

Have you read the posthumously published "For Us, the Living" by Heinlein?

In it you'll recognize many themes that later became full-fledged stories. Not that great a story otherwise.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Skeeve
Crap, I just went to the Heinlein Society website and read about it. No, there seems to be one book I haven't read yet.

We never stay on topic around here...too funny. From refrigerators to Heinlein. Grin
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
And best of all, the moderators don't fuss, as they are a party to it!Grin
Edited by catman on 09/08/2009 00:16
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Theory_Execution
Back on track slightly, were having problems with the house at the moment. There was a flooding incident i mentioned a while ago that set our mains driven fire system crazy, going off at will which we thought was fixed, but it has returned.

Then theres the boilers, the pilot light wont stay on, but as its a sealed unit I cant just reach in dust her off and light it, its an electic ignition, so, on the morning of my second day of work, after 8 months of warm midday showers when i really had little to get washed for other than boredom I had to motivate myself, do some pre-engagement muscle contortion and then chill my bones for what was likely a 3minute wash that seemed like a half hour ordeal.

Thankfully I wont have to pay for any repairs, sadlY I do have to wait for the landlord to do something about them both.

catman
I hope the landlord isn't slow about it. That situation sounds awful.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Theory_Execution
Well it seems its not broken, it just doesnt wish to turn on at six in the morning, apparently everyone else had hot showers when they got up. We dont have the manual for understanding the dial so ill have to remember to bring the make and number of it to work with me tomorrow to see if I can find the info online. I cant keep having cold showers.

Bob of QF
Theory_Execution wrote:
Well it seems its not broken, it just doesnt wish to turn on at six in the morning, apparently everyone else had hot showers when they got up. We dont have the manual for understanding the dial so ill have to remember to bring the make and number of it to work with me tomorrow to see if I can find the info online. I cant keep having cold showers.

Sucks.

Can you get it to fire up manually? Most fuel-fired water heaters can make enough hot water for a shower in 20 minutes or less-- that is, first thing when you rise, go down & manually fire it up. Wait 20 minutes, have breakfast, read the paper, whatever, then go shower.

I have tested the 20 minute rule myself in the Two Years Without Gas Company Natural Gas era. I had hooked my natural gas water heater up to a propane canister, which I only operated on weekends-- cold showers/sponge baths on weekdays, hot showers on Saturday. Did this for 2 years, actually...

Theory_Execution
Well after a more thorough look at the contraption I found that the boilers clock was 12 hours too fast/slow, so I changed that, but also it seems you have to click a reset button so that that info is saved (maybe) possibly to prevent tampering with the dials? or accidental moving of them? Who knows. But this morning I had a shower with a bit of heat, it wasnt susstained however as it needed a little time to warm up, but I think im sorted now.

That two year experience sounds horrible, lol, I do like my showers, I think better and breathe easier in them (well when I have a cold as i do now, because you can just snot everywhere, blowing your nose into your hand without stripping layers of skin off like you do with paper tissues lol- hope noone is eating while reading this).

Its also an excuse to get away from people, you are some what justified in keeping a locked door between you and others in the house. In many respects the same comforts are awarded when you take a dump.

Bob of QF
Theory_Execution wrote:
Well after a more thorough look at the contraption I found that the boilers clock was 12 hours too fast/slow, so I changed that, but also it seems you have to click a reset button so that that info is saved (maybe) possibly to prevent tampering with the dials? or accidental moving of them? Who knows. But this morning I had a shower with a bit of heat, it wasnt susstained however as it needed a little time to warm up, but I think im sorted now.

That two year experience sounds horrible, lol, I do like my showers, I think better and breathe easier in them (well when I have a cold as i do now, because you can just snot everywhere, blowing your nose into your hand without stripping layers of skin off like you do with paper tissues lol- hope noone is eating while reading this).

Its also an excuse to get away from people, you are some what justified in keeping a locked door between you and others in the house. In many respects the same comforts are awarded when you take a dump.

Smile

As far as the warm-going-cold bit? Try schooching the dial a bit, so that your boiler fires up 30 minutes earlier for next morning.

That is? If you find the same effect tomorrow as today-- most water heaters can keep the water hot for 24-48 hours (if not used immediately), so you may not notice tomorrow.

As for the 2 years without heat? It was interesting. In the summer, the water-heater is by the back room (south) and would warm up on it's own-- so summers I had warm-ish showers. It was only in the dead of winter that it really bothered me-- but because of the cold, I don't sweat much and a weekly hot shower is fine. Daily change of clothes, obviously...

Smile

(as for your blowing your nose in the shower? I think everyone does that trick.... <grin> )

Theory_Execution
I got too carried away with the nose thing this morning and produced a little blood.

Onto another electrical issue in our house, one of the housemates thought it would be a good idea to shoot the light switch of the living room using a rat-catcher (highest powered air rifle you can own legally without documentation in the UK). Some people are certified idiots, and most others are pending.

Hypatia
Bob of QF wrote:
Hypatia wrote:
Thanks Cat - I needed that little reminder right about now.

In the last six weeks we've had a t.v. go out and the pump on the air conditioner too. Fortunately we have two other televisions in the house, though that was the large t.v. that went. But it seems like when it rains it pours, as those haven't been the only things that we've had some kind of problem with, and at this point I almost feel like I'm at the 'knocking on wood' point. Oy.

Isaac Asimov wrote an amusing essay about knocking on wood. He firmly advocated knocking on plastic, instead.

I'll see if I can locate it via Goog.. hmmm. The essay's title seems to have been Science: Knock Plastic. Wiki mentions it under Isaac Asimov (way down, under Popular Science ) <sorry, this stupid board software won't recognize the link... too may special characters. Idiot software>

Hmmm....can't seem to locate an on-line version of the essay. Too bad.

I haven't read the essay, but at this point, plastic will be fine.

So I'll knock on plastic, for myself and for T_E - sounds like it couldn't hurt to include you T_E. I didn't really think so until I read about your housemate shooting out the light switch, lol, so I'll knock twice. Oh, and the blood kind of sealed the deal, too. Careful there guy. Hope you feel better soon.

Edited by Hypatia on 09/11/2009 16:25

Bob of QF
Theory_Execution wrote:
I got too carried away with the nose thing this morning and produced a little blood.

Onto another electrical issue in our house, one of the housemates thought it would be a good idea to shoot the light switch of the living room using a rat-catcher (highest powered air rifle you can own legally without documentation in the UK). Some people are certified idiots, and most others are pending.

No one was harmed when the switch failed, I trust-- a lead pellet into an electrical box is not how *I* would like to spend an afternoon...

Jump to Forum: