View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » Books
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Walter Cronkite autobiography
catman
I'm just finishing Cronkite's autobiography, A Reporter's Life, and I highly recommend it. It is very well written, as one might expect, and he had a front-row seat for a lot of history. Two thumbs up!
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Skeeve
I think he was the first newsman I remember seeing on TV.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
He certainly was a professional in all respects. Although when he uttered his famous tag line, "That's the way it is", he often seemed apologetic for having to tell us how it was!

Anyway, the book is fascinating!
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
Thanks for the tip Cat. I just may have to check that out (after I finish everything else I have around to read first).

catman
I'll never forget Cronkite on November 22, 1963 and July 20, 1969. He was a great newsman.

Hypatia
Ah, JFK's assassination, and Neil Armstrong becoming the first man to set foot on the moon. Smile

I was only about 5 yrs. old when the first took place and I only remember being cheesed off that his funeral took over the air waves and I couldn't watch any cartoons on t.v.! lol. But my parents had the television on what seemed like all the time then and I watched what going on along with them, even if I wasn't happy about it, for quite different reasons.

As I grew older I too came to admire Cronkite's delivery of the world news and was crushed when he retired. There have been no others like him since, and I'm sad to think there never will be.

Edited by Hypatia on 09/11/2009 17:18

Jump to Forum: